GB Window Cleaning

12v battery dead help!!!
« on: September 05, 2011, 08:13:59 pm »
did half a day today then my aux battery that is supposed to charge from the can altinator died, its only a couple months old.

so i took it back to the supplier and they replaced the "spliter box thing" that sends a charge to the engine bay battery and the aux batter, they said it had "burnt out"

so i took my dead battery home and ive had it on charge for 5 hours now and there is no sign of it charging according to the dail on the battery charger!  >:(

what am i doing wrong? the terminals are on correct! is the charger no good? its buzzing so i assume it must be working!?!

help!

if i cant get it charged by tomorrow morning i'll have to go buy another 12v battery as i canyt miss another days work!
when you buy them new are they fully charged?

help!

GB

Pope vader

Re: 12v battery dead help!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 08:17:47 pm »
go and run off your cig lighter

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 08:32:48 pm »

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 08:34:26 pm »
some more info...

the battery is 12volts, 75 AH @20 hr rate

the charger im trying to charge it with is ...

6 AMP, 12 volts

hope this can help someone help me please?  :-[

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 08:37:47 pm »
and where can i buy one of these batterys in the moring if a need to? and how much will one cost roughly?

thanks

GB

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 08:41:42 pm »
If you have an electronic flow controller GB, the best thing you can do is have your pump wired direct to the van's own battery or from a permanent live in the ignition.

I've done this for over 7 years. I used to go through the cig lighter socket but now it's direct from the ignition loom & is much better this way & can run all day without a hint of power loss! ;)

Absolutely no need to fanny about with leisure batteries & chargers etc. ;)

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 08:48:19 pm »
If you have an electronic flow controller GB, the best thing you can do is have your pump wired direct to the van's own battery or from a permanent live in the ignition.

I've done this for over 7 years. I used to go through the cig lighter socket but now it's direct from the ignition loom & is much better this way & can run all day without a hint of power loss! ;)

no the leisure battery that runs my pump is wired into the van alternator! it should charge as my van is running

thanks

GB

Pope vader

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 08:51:07 pm »
go and run off your cig lighter

how?  ???

basically connect ur pump up to a cable running from a cig lighter connector,  its a bit like phone charge but for  a pump, i have been using one for over a year and never had a problem

Pope vader

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 08:52:22 pm »

no the leisure battery that runs my pump is wired into the van alternator! it should charge as my van is running

thanks

GB

this might be the reason why it is knackered as am sure a leisure battery has to have a slow charge,  like a split relay

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 08:53:41 pm »

it does have a split relay i recon! my van mount system is new and as been professionaly fitted!

thanks

thanks

GB

this might be the reason why it is knackered as am sure a leisure battery has to have a slow charge,  like a split relay

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 09:12:03 pm »
so will mt charger charge this type of battery or am i wasting my time?

Andy Foster

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 09:21:00 pm »
Wasting your time mate, if it's dead then it's dead!
Wire straight to battery like the chaps have said above, no problems then.

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 10:05:26 pm »
Wasting your time mate, if it's dead then it's dead!
Wire straight to battery like the chaps have said above, no problems then.

i didnt mean dead just flat

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 10:07:21 pm »
 i m o THE CHARGE MIGHT BE TO FAST AND BEND THE PLATES IN THE BATTERY ON A LONGER DRIVE TIME AS A LEISURE BATTERY NEEDS A SLOW CHARGE WITCH SHOULD NEED A 12 CHARGE, AT 6 AMPS.  AT 74 AMPS IT WOULD CHARGE IN LESS THAN  2/3 HOURS. TOO FAST. 8) 8)

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 10:13:04 pm »
well im gonna leave it on till the morning charging, then if i have no joy i'll be forced to go and buy another first thing in the morning!

where's the best shop to go to buy one?

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 10:14:04 pm »
If the battery is sealed, you can throw it away if its not a sealed unit you can pour the battery acid out flush with pure water and refill the acid with new acid and recharge it. I have down this often and saved the battery .

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 10:16:39 pm »
thing is the battery is only a couple of months old! if its nackered im taking it back for a replacment!

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 11:06:15 pm »
thing is the battery is only a couple of months old! if its nackered im taking it back for a replacment!

You do right too. Your system is almost new, it's up to the supplier to sort this in the short term at least.

Panorama

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 11:34:24 pm »
If they send you a new one don't forget to take your old battery to your nearest scrapyard, they will give you £10 for it ;)

Mike #1

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 07:06:52 am »
GB you need to take battery in every night and charge it .  From a full charge and one days use it takes 45 mins to recharge fully , you have been slowly draining your battery until its gone flat it could take 4hrs plus from flat .     

A LEISURE BATTERY  NEEDS TO BE CHARGED AFTER EVERY USE OTHERWISE YOU WILL DAMAGE  THE
        BATTERY