Nathanael Jones

Re: Van insurance + L5, how much?
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2010, 09:11:58 pm »
Back to insurance,...

I'm in Ireland so my experiences may be different to most of yours. I found it very hard to get insurance this year (renewed last week) for my L5. Many insures wouldn't quote me because I was a window cleaner,.. of those that would quote, only 1 would allow me to carry gas. The heater was not the issue,.. it was the bottle of gas!
So,.. I'm with Quinn insurance,.. €635 which is €160 more than the cheapest (no gas allowed) quote I had.

FCS

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2010, 10:02:18 am »
I've just been on the phone with autonet who I'm currently insured with.

I asked them if there would be a problem with carrying a propane gas bottle for use with a PORTABLE water heater.
Initially he said as long as it was for recreational use that'd be fine so I came clean and told him it'd be linked to my window cleaning equipment to make hot water, but only for the few weeks in a year where the weather deemed it necessary. \I made it clear it's not a 'modification' to the van as it's entirely portable. He asked his team leader and the answer was yes, no problem. No increase in premium. AND apparently they'll send something out in the post so I've got it in writing.

I haven't even got an L5 yet!

www.fanthorpecleaning.co.uk

FCS

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2010, 10:49:10 am »
Saying all that, I've just spent an hour reading Steve's posts (thanks Steve) on the immersion idea..   

It seems like a far better short term answer to our problems, but I'm still a bit nervous about hacking into my van tank...

Richard Neal

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2010, 06:20:45 pm »
I would only want one of these in my van if it was flued through the roof, these things are pumping out carbon monoxide which i dont want in the van!! i often have to lock up the van when working so no way would i want to jump back in there if an l5 had been running.
So if that would then make it a modification if it was flued i wont be buying one! better start saving for a diesel hotbox.
Im not scared of heights, just falling from them.
mrwindowclean@hotmail.co.uk