Glen

Can't decide....Van or trailer system
« on: May 21, 2005, 11:01:40 pm »
I am going to go down the WFP route sooner or later but cannot decide whether to get a van or trailer.

To have a van would look professional and be convenient to manoevre etc but alot of outlay and my only source of transport outside work.

To have a trailer system would mean that I can just unhitch it after work and carry on with my life but I believe they are harder to manoevre and I would have to get a box trailer with its own brakes, which I'm sure are expensive, and I would have to upgrade my car to a one with a higher towing capacity.

Any thoughts from people who use either system?

littlejack

Re: Can't decide....Van or trailer system
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 07:52:38 am »
Hi Glen

I use a trailer, it dosen't take long to get the hang of reversing it. It isn't a box trailer. This depends on how much water you will need, the same for a braked trailer. I currently carry 300 ltrs in a small trailer.

I do have to go home to refill after approx 4 hours of work. My trailer has around 600kg weight and does not need brakes, it is easily towed by my 1.9 diesel estate.

TERRY AB

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 03:16:50 pm »
Worked with wfp system for years; my experience is that it all depends
on what type of customer you have (more commercial or domestic) and
how far you have to travel.
If you have plenty commercial a trailer system if ideal (lots of water!) plenty
of space by customer, if more domestic, then think of the streets and parking problems
with a trailer; can you always and easily backout the street ?.
Trailers have the advantage of being parked at home if not needed, but probably
you will throught the system have énought work to eventualy afford another vehicle
for private use.
A van system is much quicker to get on the job, quick parking, door open and off on
the job.
Perhaps if you are unsure you could buy a trailer system and when you realise
that a van would be better have your trialer system put into the van and sell the trailer.

UBA1

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 03:40:53 pm »
Worked with wfp system for years; my experience is that it all depends
on what type of customer you have (more commercial or domestic) and
how far you have to travel.
If you have plenty commercial a trailer system if ideal (lots of water!) plenty
of space by customer, if more domestic, then think of the streets and parking problems
with a trailer; can you always and easily backout the street ?.
Trailers have the advantage of being parked at home if not needed, but probably
you will throught the system have énought work to eventualy afford another vehicle
for private use.
A van system is much quicker to get on the job, quick parking, door open and off on
the job.
Perhaps if you are unsure you could buy a trailer system and when you realise
that a van would be better have your trialer system put into the van and sell the trailer.

Good response ;)

Glen

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 04:01:55 pm »
Thanks for the reply. The thing is I have a Corsa 1.5 Diesel with a towing capacity of 800kg. If I was to get a system which could be refitted in a van from a trailer, I would have to upgrade my car to tow it otherwise I would have to get a small system which would not necessarily be the most suitable if is going to end up in a van anyway.

My customers are fairly spread out ( I do aboput 50 miles a day) and most have detached houses with ample driveways.

Decisions!

slendersunfish

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 06:22:39 pm »
Go for a van.

1.Better security
2.Cheaper
3.Safer
4.Easier to reverse!
5.slightly more professional looking ?