dhnjj

Re: NEW 'Spick & Span' Directory NOW ONLINE!
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2007, 07:14:57 pm »
Perhaps it would be an idea to run a poll on here to see the potential interest from others on the forum if the price were reduced for a period of time

Dave
Failure lies not with falling down.
Failure lies with not getting back up!

garyj

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2007, 07:16:28 pm »
Noooooooooo, no polls, they went out with AJ  ;) ;D

dhnjj

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2007, 07:19:23 pm »
AJ?  ???
Failure lies not with falling down.
Failure lies with not getting back up!

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2007, 09:51:37 am »
Don't want to be a pain  ;)

Just had a look at Dave Morris's enhanced listing and the map covers up some of the text on his write up. I don't appear to be able to get rid of the Google map.

I'm not a big fan of directories due to the amount of cold calls and pressure selling we had over the years, I appreciate this is very different and feel it's a good idea AND a way of supporting a site I've used for years. However I realise the costs of setting something like this up are huge but still feel as if £15.00 a month is expensive.

I'm sure this has been brought up before, because we're all a bunch of tight business folk but have you considered an introductory offer? Even a fiver a month or £7.50 ( half price!) would give us the chance to see if it works for 6 months, and even if no work comes in from it then nothing lost really.

My thinking is it would be cheaper to use Google AdWords and have your own site at number 1 on the paid listings for less than £15.00.

With the amount of users on here I think far more will take the offer up with the lower price and in the long run pay for its self quicker.

Hi Gary

Thanks for the feedback.

I guess you're using a screen size of 800 x 600 and we're aware that there can be problems in Internet Explorer when users also have the favourites column down the side. It's something were looking at.

In terms of the cost (if you enter cleanitup as the referrer code, without spaces!, you still get the 10% discount at the moment) it can come down to just £135 plus vat for the year which is the equivalent of £11.25 per month. The other thing to bear in mind is that it's not just being promoted on Google adwords. We're spending a lot of money advertising through other Pay Per Click sites and we'll also be doing our first leaflet drops shortly. Doing it any cheaper just doesn't give us the budget to advertise it in the way it has to be to be a success and, besides, those that have signed up at these rates would be pretty cheesed off if we now dropped them.

For most people £15 per month is worth trying providing it can be cancelled at short notice without any hassle. I completely understand what you say about the pressure selling, but we don't use those sort of tactics.

Hopefully, I'll have some more statistics for your before long although I can tell you that currently the most popular searches are 1) car valeters 2) window cleaning traditional 3) Oven cleaners

Regards

Mike

Art

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2007, 12:42:31 pm »
Hi Mike,

What search term or terms do you put in to find the directory through google? I'm sure you said previously that it would be on there with a sponsered link?

Arthur

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2007, 01:18:36 pm »
Hi Mike,

What search term or terms do you put in to find the directory through google? I'm sure you said previously that it would be on there with a sponsered link?

Arthur

Hi Arthur

(I posted this yesterday to a similar question - hope it helps!)

With Google sponsored listings you don't appear for all results on all pages and it's the same for Yahoo listings. We're targetting all types of cleaning in all areas so it won't appear every time. If you do a serach on Google for 'spickandspan-directory.co.uk' you'll see the sort of sites its getting listed on through the Google adwords.

If you do a search on Google for 'window cleaning cornwall' you'll see David Morris Window Cleaning listed on the first page with his featured listing.

Don't forget that it's not just these sites it's being advertised on and so far we've had 3338 searches performed. We're also only just starting to get this sort of pr: http://www.cleaning-matters.co.uk/stories/articles/-/newsletters/2007/september/news_/spick_and_span_helps_end_users_and_contractors_alike which gets emailed out to 13,000 subscribers.

Regards

Mike