Mike_Boxall

Feedback wanted for online training - TRY IT NOW!
« on: September 27, 2006, 08:38:26 pm »
Hi

For those that are aware of the i-Clean management system you'll know that Module 4 already includes a Pathway approved induction process.

We're about to add an online training section to it and I'd really appreciate any feedback anyone would like to give after trying it (it takes about 15 mins to run through). It's a health and safety oriented subject for 'regular' contract cleaning rather than carpet or window cleaning (sorry, but we're working on it!)

You need to click the link below and choose BUSINESS SECTOR for this demo to run.

Just to let you know, we are currently adding a voiceover for every single piece of text that is displayed on screen for people with reading difficulties. We're also in the process of making it more linear so it's more obvious where to click next and when it's finalised, we'll look at multi-lingual versions.

Remember, this is just part of an induction programme that is supposed to supplement specific hands-on task based training. It is not a substitute for, say, BICSc training.

Please let me know what you think. I'm particularly interested to know if you, as contractors, think it's worth (and indeed, practical) making the effort to get your new staff to an internet enabled computer to do it.

The link will be there for at least the next week. If you'd like to get your cleaners to try it please do (but bear in mind the Pathway Link following the questionnaire at the end is not currently live)

Any feedback, good or bad, will be rewarded with a number of free uses once the system goes live!

Thanks

Mike

http://www.tlbsonline.co.uk/iclean/elearning.html

Fox

Re: Feedback wanted for online training - TRY IT NOW!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 07:51:43 am »
Hi Mike

Just been through this.  I found the introduction far too long and stages one and two were a bit 'I'm not twelve you know'! (lol - however I do understand some people may need this!) problem is it left me thinking 'I hope it's not this patronising the whole way through'!  But then I got to the next stage.

From Stage 3 it was very informative and I think it would work extremely well, this is definately something that I would consider using for my employees, obviously depending on cost and whether it could be purchased as a 'stand alone' product or if I had to purchase it as part of a wider package.

Hope my comments help, good and bad!  Good luck with it.

Fox

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 09:38:22 am »
Hi Fox

Thanks for yor feedback and we'll take on board your comments. It is very difficult to judge exactly what level to deliver it at but as I said we still hope to make lots of improvements.

Will keep you informed

Thanks

Mike

john smith

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 11:29:47 am »
Hi Mike
i run a samll  domestic cleaning business, i expect to have 10 cleaners by xmas seriving 30 clients. i use a small booklet that i put together which explains healthy and safety which i  go through with my new cleaners at the moment.

i thought the amimations were excellent, however once you have been through it, it could be easy to forget. maybe a multiple choice questionaire at the end would help drum it home and then print it off with a certificate to encourage a positive attitude towards training.

As a smal business the cost would be very crucial to me as to wether i used it for my staff, if there was a yearly subscription of £100 i might be tempted, however if it was a case of £15 for each time it was used, i would not participate.

For larger cleaning companies i think this is perfect.............so i would be interested to see if its affordable to us small business's.

kind regards
john

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 11:43:39 am »
Hi John

I appreciate your thoughts on the pricing, thanks. There is actually a multiple choice question section at the end http://www.tlbsonline.co.uk/iclean/multiplechoice.php and we'll work out a system for getting some sort of certificate out as well. Let me know if you pass!

Regards

Mike

Art

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 12:16:04 pm »
Hi Mike,

Very basic, but at the same time a good starting point to trainning.

If it was made available as it is instead of being linked to the pathway card, i'd be interested and as mentioned prevoiously, some sort of certificate.

Obviously cost would be another consideration.

Arthur

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 12:23:54 pm »
Hi Arthur

Thanks. The link to the Pathway card will be an optional one in any case but those that see the value in this type of training appear to be those that also see the benefit of Pathway Cards. You obviously don't have a Pathway approved induction process yet - is this something you're considering at all?

Regards

Mike

Art

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 12:48:38 pm »
Hi Mike,

To be honest i haven't really looked at the pathway card in any depth.
Trainning and improving standards is something i impliment as much as possible, but as mentioned before cost is always a factor.

Arthur

*Chris Browne

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 02:02:59 pm »
Hi Mike,

I thought the whole package was great, easy to navigate and the concept and idea brilliant, the one drawback would be getting my staff to a computer as most of them thing the "tinternet" is something for those "young folk" i hope i don't sound patronizing but to be honest it would be difficult getting them to sit at a computer and proceed in the course, i think a booklet is probably more practical(or an addition) and as mentioned previously cost is all important ;)

Chris

john smith

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 02:15:42 pm »
mike, looks like i need some training too! only got 10 out of 12 on the multiple choice, goes to show we dont know it all. lol

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 07:19:14 pm »
Hi Mike,

I thought the whole package was great, easy to navigate and the concept and idea brilliant, the one drawback would be getting my staff to a computer as most of them thing the "tinternet" is something for those "young folk" i hope i don't sound patronizing but to be honest it would be difficult getting them to sit at a computer and proceed in the course, i think a booklet is probably more practical(or an addition) and as mentioned previously cost is all important ;)

Chris

Thanks Chris

Yes, it is supplemented by printed instructions. I agree a lot of people find computers quite daunting but what we've tried to do is keep it as easy to use as possible. The first version was more interactive with a lot more options of where to click next but we found this was confusing to some. Cost is obviously a key driver here and we understand people will only use it if it's low cost (and very low cost at that!) That's certainly what we're aiming for.

Regards

Mike

a55essor

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 06:06:56 pm »
Hi Mike
I thought the whole concept was interesting, you could if cost permitted have a basic, intermediate, advance,coarses,  it may even be sold as a package. as said before a certificate could have been issued for the short online coarse.

My score was 12/12
KL
PS: The link to pathway did not link

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 06:23:58 pm »
Hi Mike
I thought the whole concept was interesting, you could if cost permitted have a basic, intermediate, advance,coarses,  it may even be sold as a package. as said before a certificate could have been issued for the short online coarse.

My score was 12/12
KL
PS: The link to pathway did not link

Thanks KL

Yes, there are more options in the pipeline but we need to run this and get some feedback first.

I'm aware the Pathway link isn't live at the moment - do you use Pathway cards?

Regards

Mike

Peter Dixon

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 11:04:47 am »
I thought it was a well-presented basic course although I would agree the intro is just too long. Graphically it was very good - clear and concise.

Although the graphics convey the message, have you considered making different language versions available? One of our biggest concerns at the present is conveying basic induction material to employees whose first language is not English. I realise that you could be adding language packs for ever to cover all possibilities but it might be possible to poll  industry members to rank language requirements in order of priority (simplified Chinese anyone?)

Peter

cleanandneat

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 07:03:20 pm »
hello Mike,

I have found the intro sections very good as we must not forget most of the time we dn't get cleaners working for us with degrees. I have a small cleaning business and i would be interested in using this. is there any printable version? Do you have other links for example using specified machinery, It equipment cleaning...so on.
Many thanks,

cleanandneat

Ian Rochester

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2006, 07:06:35 am »
Mike,

Just gone through the presentation, all in all very good, basic induction stuff that should be covered for any new starter.  A poster version of this that could be placed in the place of work would be quite good.

I think most people could have done the test without seeing the presentation and would have scored 10+ with a bit of common sense.

As already commented a certificate would be of benefit, even just to demonstrate attendance for recording purposes.

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 07:23:19 am »
Hi

Thanks for all the feedback.

The system is about to be launched in full with all the supprting documentation and I'll contact everyone individually with more information shortly.

Thanks again

Mike

glass

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2006, 09:55:17 am »
HI
 THINKS THIS IS VERY GOOD FOR NEW COMERS TO JOB .HOPE TO UES THIS WE ITS READY
       KEITH GLASS

chosker

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2006, 04:06:47 pm »
Hi Mike,

would consider using it although, as some of the others have mentioned, this depends on price.

Problem with us is having a computer free at the time of the interviews - we tend to interview two people at the same time and have about 6 interview slots in a week - we'd have to buy yet another computer!

We currently train by videos and questionnaires and have been looking for something more effective - this could well be it if i can come up with a computer solution!

Any ideas as to cost yet?

Claire

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2006, 05:59:03 pm »
Hi everyone

Ok, here is a provisional indication of costs for the complete induction programme which should be ready for launch in January.

The costs will be banded according to volume and will be based on minimum quantities of 10, 100 or 1000 users.

This online training facility will form part of our complete Pathway approved induction programme that will include:

1) An induction folder comprising all the necessary induction paperwork, checklists and instructions for use.

2) Access to the online training tool (10, 100 or 1000 uses)

3) Individual i-Clean certificates (10, 100 or 1000)

4) Individual Pathway cards (10, 100 or 1000)

If you've tried the online training tool, you'll see that it covers the basic health and safety requirements but doesn't cover specific cleaning tasks. However, we do provide supplementary guidance on how to instruct the staff on these tasks within the induction folder.

The inclusive cost for a 10 user induction programme will be £150 + vat. Each additional user will be charged at £15.00 + vat thereafter.

The inclusive cost for a 100 user induction programme will be £1350 + vat. Each additional user will be charged at £13.50 + vat thereafter.

The inclusive cost for a 1000 user induction programme will be £12000 + vat. Each additional user will be charged at £12.00 + vat thereafter.

When you consider that these prices include the cost of the Pathway cards we think the package represents excellent value for money. But what do you think? As always, I'd appreciate any feedback given.

Many thanks

Mike

It is important to say that these are provisional costs and may change but I'd really like any feedback at this stage.

Fox

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2006, 04:21:08 am »
Hi Mike

I am surprised at the costs and I must say pleasantly!  I feel this would represent good value for money and would certainly consider it - now just how can I get my cleaners to become computer literate!  ;D

Fox

Art

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2006, 05:26:49 pm »
Hi Mike,

Just as Fox said, i think it's very reasonably priced, but if you could make it cheaper that would be even better  ::)   ;D

Arthur

holmesclean

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2007, 04:24:08 pm »
Introduction far too long otherwise informative and whilst considered as basic you must know the basics to achieve a good job.
Tom

ag

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2007, 08:54:38 pm »
Hi mike

I was very interested to see your online course. Especially as prior to starting a cleaning business I worked as an instructional designer for  five years. For those out there that dont know what an instructional designer does, they write and design computer based training courses.
In my past position I wrote and designed a course that was a collobarorative project between 5 of the largest multinationals here in Irelalnd ( Bausch & Lombe, Honeywell, Dell, EMC, analog Devices) and it was  a cracking course, ended up being  translated and used in their asian plants so in total rolled out to over 20, 000 employees. I was excellent at it, but I found it as dull as dishwater, so moved on ( I was offered contracts to stay in it, but thought lifes to short...)
I liked your course, it is easy to use. Possibly could be a little better defined as to what you are going to learn and why. Also I noticed a few little bugs (section 6 doesnt have any next button in the top left hand corner) & some terminology is inconsistent. Can you not go backwards to check stuff?
Any decent instructional designer would definalty have included questions within each section - this reinforces the learning. The difference between these, and questions right at the end is that end ones check to see your retention and mark you, not reinforce to see if you have understood.
Something that came up a lot in our courses was to remember that we live in a multi-ethnic scociety, and all the pictures in your course are of caucasians - its good to mix it up a bit, as no doubt we all have a variety of nationalities working for us. I know its done now, but just something for future. Also at the start its only a female in the photos cleaning, should really have a male in there somewhere,just to balance it out, as all the guys seem to be management. sounds ridiculous, but its the way computer based training is done.

Okay, okay, im getting out of this now, as I just notice to much.
your prices are v.reasonable for computer based training. If I was you, I'd be pitching this to health & safety departments in large organisations, to make it part of their induction training.

best of luck with it.
agnes

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2007, 10:09:34 am »
Thankyou Agnes, I appreciate the feedback.

Regards

Mike

glass

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2007, 01:30:44 pm »
i think these price are fair