lisa123

interviewing for new staff
« on: March 04, 2006, 02:08:41 pm »
anyone got any tips? I'm getting scared lol
got an openday at the jobcentre interviewing, i havent done one before, is there a checklist or something, point system that people use?

Bizzie Lizzie

Re: interviewing for new staff
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 03:24:40 pm »
Hi Lisa,

One little tip - they will be as nervous as you! I had to interview - a while ago - (not in this job) but I think the key is tell them you're as nervous as them and it will break the ice!
Good luck
Bizzie Lizzie

blacksheep

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 05:54:46 pm »
hi lisa, when you meet them, give them a big smile and come across freindly, this helps them relax, now tell them about the job itself, wages ,hours, if you work bank hols, ,what is expected of them and if now and then extra hours come up would they like to do extra ie . find out how flexable they are, incase you need  extra cover at a later date. break entitlements . then if their happy with what you told them give them a application form to fill out. you dont ask if they got child care thats not your problum and your not allowed to ask if they got children, I never ask but i have a very freindly chat and they usualy volinter it anyway, do ask if they have a car.if you ask do they drive they may say yes but have no car till the hubby gets home, and may not fit in with the hours you want them to clean. i am going to say this and people on here will tell me off but i tend not to go for teenagers they always let you down except the occaisional one, young mums are off quite a lot due to sick children except for the mums who want a part time job as a break 9am to 3 pm jobs while kids in school i find muture people work out best but thats just my experience. I feel you need to go with your gut feeling on this but i have justy given a few pointers that may help

D woods

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 05:55:43 pm »
Hi Lisa
My number one rule when recruiting is only employ people who are
already working . If someone gas been out of work for months they
are usually no good .

lisa123

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 06:39:15 pm »
thanks for some pointers.
I have typed up a job description to go with each app form at the jobcentre on monday for interviews.
My plan is to get them to complete the form, they have read the main points about the job, including pay, uniform, duties, h&s bits, confidentiality etc, what training is expected etc, I have also included the days and hrs available. This way, if they decide it isn't for them, they don't have to fill it in.
In the interview bit, then we know they are interested in the work available, and can explain flexible working, extra hours to cover sick, jobs out of the area and for them to tell us why they want the job, and a bit about their background etc.
Does all this seem right? I'm trying to get a structure to follow. I really want to ask each applicant the same questions and give out to them the same information so i can compare them.

CMS

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 06:45:27 pm »
That sounds fine. Will they be required to undergo any v'vetting' (i.e. CRB checks). If so it may be an idea to tell them at the interview and maybe ask about criminal records. Could save yourself a lot of wasted time.

lisa123

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 06:59:08 pm »
i have added my job description as a download on my website, take a look if you want.

lisa123

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 07:00:31 pm »
thanks Karl, I forgot about that. I'll include it in the job description and tell them in the interview.

lisa123

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 07:11:55 pm »
Karl, i have tried downloading 'cleansheet' but i have only got the main front page, if you know what i mean, should i also have the working out sheet?
Thanks

CMS

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2006, 07:17:01 pm »
All of the tabs are at the bottom.............................. ;)

lisa123

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2006, 07:44:50 pm »
 ::)   ;D  i see what you mean. I've only got a trial version of excel and the tabs didnt appear, i just downloaded it from your site.

CMS

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2006, 07:49:28 pm »
So can you see it all or not?

lisa123

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2006, 08:00:30 pm »
i can now, but i can't save it. looks good though, its more of a commercial thing isn't it. Very Good though Karl.

CMS

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2006, 08:53:02 pm »
Lisa, what are you like? Of course you can save it. When it's open just click on File> Save As.................................and save it to somewhere on your PC.

lisa123

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2006, 09:36:46 pm »
 ;D ::) ;D ;D (lisa laughs at herself for being so daft)

I blame the cleaning chemicals, i know its not healthy to store them in your bedroom, especially when you have asthma lol  oh dear.

i am very stressed lol

garyj

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2006, 10:40:38 pm »

I blame the cleaning chemicals, i know its not healthy to store them in your bedroom, especially when you have asthma lol  oh dear.

You can't blame the cleaning chemicals that are stored in your bedroom, after all that is where we ALL store them :P ::)

lisa123

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2006, 09:19:02 pm »
I'm sure you would like to take a look gary :)

mxg

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2006, 09:36:35 pm »
Lisa

Tried to download your job description but unable to open it as no file extension given. What sort of file is it ?

Mick

lisa123

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2006, 09:40:08 pm »
i think its a .doc i can download it, as i have tried it. have you saved it first. I'll have another go see if its still working.

lisa123

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2006, 09:42:40 pm »
i just tried it, cleck save, then click open, it then asked me what application to open it with, i used works word processor, and it was there.
it should work mate.  :)