Alan McTernan

Chemical to clean rendered walls
« on: April 28, 2010, 08:51:02 pm »
Hi all,

Anyone used chemicals to pressure clean rendered/painted walls, it needs to be enviromently friendly and bio-degradable as the work is in a city centre on a large block of flats.

Cheers guys ;)

richywilts

Re: Chemical to clean rendered walls
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 01:20:28 pm »
hi alan sorry i cant help you but how do you get this type of work coming in??
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

drive surgeon

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 02:16:27 pm »
heat?

BDCS

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 04:42:39 pm »
Use bleach and plenty of it - the hair dressers might moan about you taking their trade though

Alan McTernan

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 11:11:28 pm »
Cheers Guys,

Bleach is a big no no as it runs off in to a river!! Thats why it needs to be envior friendly other wise i would use it!!!

Heat is an idea!!! Have just put the price in so see how it pans out ;)

hi alan sorry i cant help you but how do you get this type of work coming in??

This one came from BNI

Cheers
Alan

BDCS

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 11:21:43 pm »
I have to price to clean a water mill with the same problem - have you ever dealt with the enviroment agency about these sort of problems ?

Alan McTernan

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 12:12:44 am »
Not yet but i can know that bleach will be out of the question!! As it takes the oxygen out of water!!!

If you want to give me a call to discuss directly then you are more than welcome to ;)

stalwart

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 11:37:02 am »
Have a little look on google for oxygen bleach,when you turn up on the job tell em its Sodium Percarbonate  ;)
God i hate giving my secrets away  ;D
Been there,seen it,done it,just cant remember when

Alan McTernan

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 09:08:19 pm »
Thanks Chris ;)

So would you be interested in giving me a hand if i get it?

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 09:49:11 pm »
http://mistral.ie/details.php?code=R6120

I use about 2kg in 25 litres.
Its best to mix it with hot water and even then it takes up to 15 minutes to dissolve properly. Only mix what you will use within an hour as it does degrade completely within 4 - 6 hours.

As always, do some research on proper handling & wear the correct PPE.

stalwart

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 09:49:18 pm »
Thanks Chris ;)

If all go's well tomorrow,i'll be on my horse and riding off to the sunset  :)

Alan McTernan

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 10:27:21 pm »
Thanks Chris ;)

If all go's well tomorrow,i'll be on my horse and riding off to the sunset  :)

Lost me ???

BDCS

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 05:59:31 pm »
After waiting several days for a reply from the Enviroment agency without reply we phoned them today. They really are the most unhelpful bunch of ******* with their heads rammed up their own ******. They want me to clean the building with no chemicals which was to be expected but they don't want the water to go into the stream because its too hot ! They want it collected and taken away - - obviously I must fully comply. It makes you feel like you'd be better sat at home and claim dole

Alan McTernan

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 12:45:25 am »
That is why i am more than happy to stick with many domestics!!! F@#king pen pushers!!!

BDCS

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 12:48:07 am »
This is a domestic house - its an old water mill

Alan McTernan

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 12:42:29 pm »
I will just take my size 8 out of my mouth then ;)

BDCS

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 01:15:52 pm »
I should have just carried on and not given a ***** if the fish float  ::)

James Gregory

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 02:53:43 pm »
By using heat you will also not require so much pressure thus not damaging the surface. Low pressure high heat is the best way to clean rendered walls. Also there are a number of steam cleaners that are now DEFRA approved. You will have no probs with the enviroment angency!!!!!

James

BDCS

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 06:33:14 pm »
Read the post - I cannot use any heat as they are concerned the hot water will harm the fish - obviously I will follow their wishes to the letter as I need to eat so the job will be done  ;D

stalwart

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2010, 08:30:31 pm »
BOMB the bas*^$*^

James Gregory

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2010, 08:49:27 pm »
Ok sorry for not seeing the bit about not being able to use heat due to the fish. I am not sure by the time it got to there water it would be too hot anyway. However if the customer says no they say no!!!

Another thought i had about this one today. There is a small flat surface cleaner that you can hold on the wall. FR30 i think by Karcher. This will give a gentler kinder clean anyway. But here is the clever bit. The FR30 (i think) has a vacuum port on it, now Numatic do a wet vac that you can connect to the FR30 if you get the correct Numatic wet vac it has a auto pump out system. Link the pump out hose down the fowl drain and you dont have to stop to empty the wet vac. No water will now run down the wall.

Maybe the customer may now allow heat or a better chemical.

On the chemical front i never trust what is written on the outside of the bottle. Have herd of some dodgy outcomes before.

BDCS

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2010, 09:49:18 pm »
The customer just wants it clean so long as they get no grief from the EA. I have a wall float with a vacuum port but it takes ages and access is a problem even from the cherry picker. I will use hot as I think the EA say no to anything just to cover their arse.

BDCS

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2010, 09:57:24 am »
After the many phone calls to the EA over the last few weeks and the initial no to everything I have sorted the job out with the EA, the first woman was obviously on the wrong week but I have spoken to the boss ! He suggested Sodium peroxide at 35% as thats what they use to re oxygenate water after a sewage spill but was happy that I use the sodium percarbonate. It was nice to speak to someone who would look at options rather than dismiss everything. The job goe ahead this Thursday

martin19842

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2010, 10:42:05 am »
hi there

we are working on a potential project at the moment where all the water must be tankered away from site, very expensive, and logistically a challenge.

one question though, how much water is already in the stream, ?? as by the time heated water hits the stream an amont of heat will have been lost, and then the remainder of heat will be reduced by the water already in the stream. stream water can be extremely cold.

regards

martin

BDCS

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2010, 11:28:06 am »
Its quite a fast flowing stream as it powered the watermill, the first woman wanted me to collect the water - she seemed happy for me to give up cleaning, using chemicals and sign on but her boss came from the real world. I don't see the heat thing as you say is negligable. Anyway he said peroxide and we settled on percarbonate

BDCS

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2010, 10:12:22 pm »
The job was arranged so the cherry picker was delivered to site, as I said there is a stream over which is a bridge which is hundreds of years old. The cherry picker had a 14m reach and weighed 10 tonnes, the driver drove it off of the low loader and onto the drive but the customers car was blocked in so the driver drove the machine onto the bridge which then collapsed and the cherry picker was in the river  ::) ::) The driver then got in his lorry and done a runner ! It took a 20 tonne digger to retrieve the cherry picker from the river. When I arrived the next day to clean the building the customer was somewhat stressed which was eased when she saw the results. I also helped the contractors repair the bridge. Anyway I never needed chemical as it came off a treat with just heat - that was what this thread was about