Paul H Coulthard

Hi went to customers house who said there was a foisty smell after we cleaned the carpets I had a smell of the carpet we cleaned there was couple of patches that I could smell like a wet dog smell. Before I left the property I checked how dry the carpet was it was slightly slightly damp as we alway leave them I opened window before I left. The customer was walking all over them after been done  she said they took 2 days to dry. WHAT COULD OF CAUSED THIS?? I redone the full room for her for free I pre sprayed derodrizer  and pro enzyme  and kill odour on the is left to dwell for 10 15 mins then rinsed with derodrizer  intank  gave it alot of dry passes on it and ran the customer through what we had done the smell has now gone as we couldn't smell anything when I left. What causes this the room windows were at the top and hardly get air in the room. ADVICE PLEASE ?

Paul H Coulthard

This is after I cleaned few areas no moisture on my hand

Radek Jablonski

This carpet had loads food spillages for sure.
It happened to me few months ago. Sprayed the trafic areas only, as only there  was some smell, with craftex bactericidal deodoriser and extracted with it in tank as well, sorted. Simply it can happen to too much dirty carpet and few hours drying is enough to activate bacteria. Rinse with any bacteria killer will stop this from happening.

Paul H Coulthard

I did u craftex my self use the mint tea 1 today on the carpet I can 100% guarante that the carpet was slightly slightly damp on both occasion  I spent 2 and half hours on this room today again. Same method we always use ect. Not sure what the smell was but it was horrible. Hopefully all gone now

Steve Chapman

The smell will more often than not be because to much wet has got to the backing & underlay and then not had enough heat / air to dry out quickly enough. Damp breeds bacteria / odour comes from the bacteria.

Once everything is bone dry the smell will be gone.......

Paul H Coulthard

I re done the full carpet for her spraying with derodrizer  and pro enzyme  left it dwell and put derodrizer  intank and rinsed out giving extra dry passes same method we alway do. Hope that's the end of it and smell has gone .

John Kelly

Usually caused by either over wetting or non optimal drying conditions. This causes, usually mould/mildew rather than bacteria to grow in the base of the carpet.
Anti bacterial deodourisers will not deal with this problem. You need a broad spectrum anti microbial such as Chemspec Formula 429 or Craftex Microkill. Both these kill moulds/mildew, bacteria and viruses.
Re-cleaning is probably the worst thing you can do as you are heaping more moisture on the problem.

Paul H Coulthard

I have the ashbys enforcer 400psi model mate thanks paul

Paul H Coulthard

Is it worth have airmovers in the room when doing it ?

Simon Gerrard

Hi Paul
A machine that powerful shouldn't  be leaving so much moisture to cause your problem. Perhaps look at what pressure you're using it at. These kind of problems are good because it exposes a problem that could have affected other customers, only this one complained about it, many others don't and just vow never to use you again. That's not to say that you did leave it too wet, but it does sound like it, but could also be  down to other factors, like bad ventilation. Still worth you reviewing things, just in case.
Air movers are excellent at getting the drying process at least underway, plus they look the part.

Simon

Paul H Coulthard

Thanks Simon I felt them on both occasions and we're left slightly damp we cleaned the carpet at 200 psi mate not high really and gave lots of dry strokes

Paul H Coulthard

The ventalion  was very bad in the room no air getting in to the room  as Windows opened at the top. Customer has reported the smell has now gone after redoing the carpet ect

Paul H Coulthard

Do u use them mate ?

neil 47

The smell will more often than not be because to much wet has got to the backing & underlay and then not had enough heat / air to dry out quickly enough. Damp breeds bacteria / odour comes from the bacteria.

Once everything is bone dry the smell will be gone.......

spot on Steve

Ive had it happen 3 or 4 times over the years , they follow the same pattern I tell them to keep good ventilation, then after 2 days they ring to say it smell , i ask them if they ventallated well and they always say well ,I had to go out ,I forgot etc . i tell them I will come round in 4 days and if its not gone I will reclean it ,

4 days later smell has completely gone 
IICRC

Paul H Coulthard

Neil this customer says her carpet was damp for 2 days I do not belive that for 1 min we use the enforcer machine we also cleaned the stairs in same house there is no problem with that. There is no air hardly getting in the room due to windows that slightly open at the top of the window . I done it Monday again for her fully derodrizerd  and pro enzyme  it good pre spray spent 2 half hours on a room that was 12ft by 14ft gave loads of dry strokes made it dry as possible asked the customer is it was the same dampness as I left it last time she said yes it was slightly Damp I videoed me rubbing my hand over it and was no moisture  on my hand. She told me she had heating on ect strange 1 really.

Radek Jablonski

Paul, just stop thinking about it and move on. Things happen, problem sorted and thats the thing. :)

Kev Loomes

Heating on, lack of ventilation - there's a problem straight away in most cases. Most important of all is ventilation regardless of weather. However if its cold then heating on. But full ventilation must be used at the same time.

The problem is when custys close the windows as soon as you go - because they don't want their valuable heat to go out the window  ::)roll

neil 47

Paul

Gravity pulls the moisture into the carpet and gets trapped between the underlay and carpet backing .

It then gives off a smell due to bacteria build up and struggles to evaporate due to being trapped and no matter how good your vacs are its to late .

Fans and a dehumidifier help but I've never bothered just left it 6 to 7 days and it's always gone
IICRC

John Kelly

Its mildews not bacteria that are usually responsible for the musty odour. Thats why spraying a bacteriacide deoudoriser is not recommended as you are just adding more moisture.
Surfaces dry by the moisture evaporating into the air above. If the air above is already at its maximum moisture holding capacity then no drying will take place.
Also you get a layer of wet air about a centimetre above the surface called the interlayer. Above this is where the evaporation takes place. Air movers work by disturbing that interlayer and causing more rapid evaporation.