charles911

£££ per sq foot
« on: April 12, 2012, 01:35:43 pm »
I thought it would be interesting to see what other cc charge pr sq foot & or meter!?

currently I have an esate agent who ive said 35p pr sq ft. Have i gone 2 low? I dont own a truckmount yet but I still dont have a cheap set up!  ???

davep

charles911

Re: £££ per sq foot
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 02:32:15 pm »
Yes some people do.. Do you feel you get more £££ that way?

Kev Loomes

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 04:49:38 pm »
Dont think your going to get an honest answer here tbh. But personally, we measure for domestics, and time for commercials.

clinton

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 04:59:26 pm »
Same as dave and kev really with commercial jobs..

Never have bothered with measuring up..

Steven Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 05:24:50 pm »
the other way round for me, by room for domestic, measure for commercial

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 11:17:52 pm »
With me I only work on estimated time for both commercial and domestic taking in condition, congestion, carpet type and level of soiling, on commercial same as above but take into consideration after hours access to water and drainage and client H&Safety restrictions. I will always do site visits on commercial work to estimate, domestic unless requested or sufficient reason I normaly quote over the phone after asking some specific questions. My prices are then based on a job completion price.

Jim_77

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 12:40:30 am »
Those who don't measure - next 10 commercial jobs you walk in to, guess the measurement and then measure it up properly.  Would be interesting to see how far out you are :)

My opinion is that knowing the measurements is essential.  In a domestic property, if the customer calls you back a year later but only wants some of the rooms doing, you immediately know what area is involved.

In the commercial field, £ per m² is the standard currency so you need to know.  You can also use it as a bargaining tool.  You could quote, say, £1.50/m² but offer to increase the area for a lower rate per m²

Guess work on the hoof often means you do wore work for your money.  For a £5 investment in a tape measure and a few minutes of time, why on earth wouldn't anyone?  It also gives out a much more professional image when you measure up, rather than just wandering round and spittinga price out.  just my opinions mind :)

Mike Halliday

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 06:38:08 am »
I've never measured a commercial job, all that tells you is the amount of carpet within the area to be cleaned.

not.......

... how much of the carpet you will actually clean

... or how dirty it is,

...what the access is like.

...what the travel time to the job is,

....whether you will be moving desks

.....will it be done out of hours

the measurement is only a small part of the overall price structure, if someone rang up and said I have an office for you to clean, i have the architect's drawing and it is exactly 287.7 m/2 would you be able to give them a price? as you know the exact measurement or would you still need to see the job?

I survey the job, work out how long it will take to complete the clean then price it on that information
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

garybristow

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 06:59:06 am »
charles just minor point ref equipment,the price is not governed by the quality of your equipment as long as the job is done properly thats all the customer is interested in,the system you use is your choice,could be tm porty or lm
when the boss comes in the next morning he just wants to see a clean carpet
gary

Steven Lawrence

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 07:26:04 am »
sorry, im with jim on this one! i use a laser lever £80 - £100 takes minutes to measure an office! then deduct a 1/3 off the total measurment which leaves 2/3 cleanable area, eg: 300m2  minus 1/3 = 200m2 of cleanable flooring @ £2.10m2 or whatever your price is.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 07:41:15 am »
so thats the same if the job is on the 1st floor or the 20th floor? or if its in a town 45 miles away and it want doing at 10.30pm? all that matter is the size minus 1/3 of the area? What if it a 5/8th of the carpet is covered in filing cabinets do you still knock of a 1/3rd?

its just my opinion but the size is almost the least important aspect of working out the price
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Billy Russell

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 09:27:10 am »
I disagree mike!!! i think the size is just as important as every other aspect you've pointed out, i take into consideration all the info you've mentioned and i measure up as well! but thats the way i do it! If that doesn't work for anybody else then thats fine! everybody is different! :)

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 09:42:46 am »
Mike

As ever your observations are always challenging to the status quo. :)

So it makes me think why do I always measure the size of every commercial job.

I measure it because I want to know the size (to make sure I haven't been told porkies) and because it gives me a STARTING  point in working out what I want to charge.

By measuring the size and computing what the price SHOUD be at my standard "per metre" price I can then adjust to factor in all those other things like access, level of soiling, time of day, furniture, water pressure at taps, distance to toilets etc etc, to come up with "the price".

It also allows me to consider more carefully how much i want to push for the job or will be happy to let the opportunity pass me by. IN other words if the price they want it doing for works out at some ridiculously cheap per metre price then for me at least, I can know why I may pass the opportunity by. If you can afford to, chase profitable jobs rather than turnover jobs.

In other words by measuring the area it is simply a standard to work from.

Finally, measuring to some extent is a piece of showmanship and theatre in that you are seen to being objective in your pricing (even if you are not).

Then when you send your quote in with perhaps it broken down on an area-by-area basis, together with say some acknowledgement of the issues to be overcome in the cleaning the (potential) client is more likely to understand how you came up with the figures that you did come up with.

Rog
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Steven Lawrence

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 09:44:11 am »
thats exactly why i measure and look at the job, if by any chance its an unusual job ie lots of filing cabinets (very rare these days) then i can adjust price accordingly! but as it stands my formular works well for me,  :D

Billy Russell

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 09:56:27 am »
Mike

As ever your observations are always challenging to the status quo. :)

So it makes me think why do I always measure the size of every commercial job.

I measure it because I want to know the size (to make sure I haven't been told porkies) and because it gives me a STARTING  point in working out what I want to charge.

By measuring the size and computing what the price SHOUD be at my standard "per metre" price I can then adjust to factor in all those other things like access, level of soiling, time of day, furniture, water pressure at taps, distance to toilets etc etc, to come up with "the price".

It also allows me to consider more carefully how much i want to push for the job or will be happy to let the opportunity pass me by. IN other words if the price they want it doing for works out at some ridiculously cheap per metre price then for me at least, I can know why I may pass the opportunity by. If you can afford to, chase profitable jobs rather than turnover jobs.

In other words by measuring the area it is simply a standard to work from.

Finally, measuring to some extent is a piece of showmanship and theatre in that you are seen to being objective in your pricing (even if you are not).

Then when you send your quote in with perhaps it broken down on an area-by-area basis, together with say some acknowledgement of the issues to be overcome in the cleaning the (potential) client is more likely to understand how you came up with the figures that you did come up with.

Rog

Thats what i mean't!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Jim_77

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2012, 12:15:09 pm »
Me too :)

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2012, 03:44:13 pm »
I have a laser measure that is accurate to some ridiculous degree. Don't half look good with the little red spot, stand in the corner of the room, two clicks and it displays the area.
I had an argument with a customer as he said that I should deduct the areas of all the columns in the room. I showed him that it was quicker to clean the area of the column than clean round it. Got my price, £4 sq mt for 4000 sq mt. ;D
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

bennymon

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2012, 04:16:55 pm »
dont mesure commercial any more got fed up with mesuring every little bit going through what i could do and the benefits just to find out a week later the job has gone to someone £5 cheaper. i take a look and charge what i think will work out at £100 per hour  :) del

Paul Moss

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2012, 07:20:33 pm »
dont mesure commercial any more got fed up with mesuring every little bit going through what i could do and the benefits just to find out a week later the job has gone to someone £5 cheaper. i take a look and charge what i think will work out at £100 per hour  :) del
;)

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2012, 08:11:56 pm »
I love to measure up it takes a little longer but allows me to ask questions as I walk round like when are you thinking having it done and who else is quoting also selling myself at the same time I find that on many occassions that commercial carpet cleaning is on price only so it's a chance to impress.

Shaun

Craigp

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2012, 08:37:51 pm »
Commercial. I measure but it's really it's on both how long I think it will take and size. I mean the rate per metre will fit the job.

As Shaun, I too find commercial are only based on lowest price, and what's worse is often selling myself doesn't help because I only get to see the (usually young girl) office dogs body who's simply gathering the quotes to be passed onto the decision maker who goes with the cheapest. - Then moan they got a sh*t job  :D

Theirs always some desperado that will do it lower than anyone else! lol

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2012, 10:41:20 am »
I am disappointed I thought Success Coach taught you how to beat the system and get higher price.

When I was involved In Sales Training , the rule was always establish if thy have the money and talk to the decision maker.

Perhaps its time to make a rule do not quote until you talk to the decision maker or at least ind out who will make deision.

However always leave a fully detailed cleaning proposal

JandS

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2012, 11:07:19 am »
Measure up and then decide how much I want
for the job and convert that to a per sq m price
for the customer.
And I don't knock a third off or whatever for desks
filing cabinets etc that's my little extra.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Craigp

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2012, 01:22:03 pm »
Ian, success coach does teach you that but as you know domestic and commercial are very different. 95% of my work is domestic. I'm happy with that.

I do get some commercial they don't all go for the lowest price and some realise they got a rubbish job before and need to pay to get better.

Of course most commercial c/c'ing is done by the cleaning contractor.

As you suggest I do leave extra info with quote.