from edge2edge

£30 quote and she still rings me
« on: September 06, 2011, 08:44:56 am »
Just quoted £80 to do 3 beds landing and 2 sets of stairs which i thought was a bargain then the woman says she had a quote for £30 so would go with that........................KIN unreal............Alan

Mark@Able Stonecare

Re: £30 quote and she still rings me
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 08:54:27 am »
£30!!! Wasn't a Scottish woman was it Alan? Do you know who quoted her that Alan?

Mark

robert meldrum

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 09:01:25 am »
Maybe she's an example of what to expect with the influence of Groupon / Enterprise, etc.

People are being conditioned through newspapers and TV programmes to look for the BEST DEAL which in 99% of cases relates to CHEAPEST.

I think you can expect an increase in this type of marketing rather than find then going down the tubes as suggested in other posts which is just wishful thinking.

We live in an increasingly competitive world and carpet cleaning is just another service.

I was amazed to find ALL of the Rug Doctors in my local Morissons were out on hire over the weekend and thats just one of a dozen outlets for these machines within 10 miles to me.

Russ Chadd

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 09:43:25 am »
This country has had it... you only have to look at what they feed us on tv.. programs like cash in the attic and car booty just about says it all!we are a poor nation of people looking for something for nothing.
I feel sorry for the hundreds of carpet cleaners out there who have invested tens of thousands into a TM setup.. taking pride in there work by doing everything right.. nice van, insurance and marketing...
£80 was more than a fair quote in my opinion!

Last week i offered to clean a woman's stairs, landing and hallway for a  cash price and knock off a further 20% because she was just up the road.. she still wanted it cheaper and went with some other firm.

robert meldrum

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 10:36:43 am »
In truth, had there been the same internet availability 30 years ago EXACTLY THE SAME posts would have been made with the same frustrations about CHEAPO'S and not just in this industry. I was a driving instructor for about 15 years before turning to carpet cleaning full time. That business endured exactly the same frustrations and had the same parasites as carpet cleaning........Firemen who had too much time on their hands and retired Policemen with the same problem..............Our problem and it still exists today is that these guys already have a decent salary or pension and can easily undercut the full time c/c's as it's just something to " give them an interest " or to simply " pass the time "

JandS

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 11:00:00 am »
Let's face it some of the prices people quote
on here are so over the top.
There's some on here reckon £170 is a fair price
to clean a 3 piece suite.
Probably 2 hours work with a TM.
Especially the domestic work, commercial's another
thing.
I'd be happy with £170 for a full day's work.
And so, I think, would a few others on here.

John

Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

mike roberts

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 11:39:58 am »
thing.

John

/quote]

2hrs - 3 piece suite seriously  :o bloody hell I must be really slow ;D ;D

from edge2edge

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 01:01:31 pm »
Mark it wasnt a scottish woman(should recognise accent i was born there and worried many a sheep as a wee laddie).She was from Carterton and said the £30 was from a friend who does cleaning.I nearly shouted at the dopey Cxw but had a real job to go to which gave me a sweet £160 in the bin from a very happy lady.........This job is effin weird at times but i suppose thats what we get by working for the great british public(other people are available by request)......................Alan

cozy

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 01:36:22 pm »
thing.

John

Yeah, we get people with that attitude on the window lickers section too. I can't break wind loud enough to give my opinion of that view. I'm in this game to earn as much as possible and I generally charge whatever I think I can get away with. If I don't make friends along the way, so what?

I'm not happy with 170 quid a day for a full days work. If I had that attitude, I'd go and work for someone. As a self employed person, the first thing I needed to change was my employee way of looking at things. Some learn, some don't, so what?

Some people harp on about earning millions and driving vehicles we dream of blah blah (Hurl) blah. But there are some who still think as a self employed person, that 170 quid is a good and "fair" days wage, whatever that is. Good luck to all who think like that, the main thing is, I don't lose jobs to you. So have the moral high ground, and I'll have the money.

Added later: I haven't got a TM, and I don't normally need longer than 2 hours either. ???

wynne jones

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 03:50:10 pm »
These people are a rarity and that's all there is to it.

The upside is there are also people at the other end of the scale who will pay extremely well, won't mess you about and will keep coming back year after year. These people are also not the norm, therefore hard to stumble upon and required time and effort to acquire, but they do exist, just like this stupid woman.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

clinton

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 05:41:31 pm »
Our regular clients are really worth there weight to all of us as they dont really start to want a cheaper job.

I do find now with people wanting cheaper work doing and i od loose some work with my prices.

I also did notice in tesco the rug doctor display was low on items so guess its a sign of the times.

The Great One

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 06:33:32 pm »
Hi

it's that same for any trade, people don't really care if you have all the toys, ins and training, they want it done and they want it as cheap as possible, we're the same.

i go to tesco to get sugar, one brand is £1.90 the other is £1.30 for the same thing, I pick the cheaper one, if they have a BOGOf all the better. I'm not the cheapest by any stretch, but we are all guilty of the same thing, shopping around for the cheapest.

The car I drive can be £300+ just for a service to tell me what's wrong with the car or I can get a service done by my local garage around the corner for around £80, guess which one I choose?

Martin 8)

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 06:35:45 pm »
I think you go for the £300 service coz you is rich  :P :P

The Great One

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 06:44:32 pm »
he he

I did it once only as I thought that was for a full service with oil change etc, NO! the £300 was to tell me what's wrong with it, then they wanted to charge X amount to put right everything they found... No!

mike roberts

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 06:48:32 pm »
I think you go for the £300 service coz you is rich  :P :P

Best answer ive seen so far on forum ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

davep

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 07:29:37 pm »
£150 for that Job, plenty will Pay it that will become regular repeats so your better off without her  ;)

JandS

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 08:02:57 pm »
Cozy

It's not a moral high ground but a fact of life, at least
over here.
I notice your in Germany which makes a difference as well.
We get people with your attitude on here as well.
If your earning well over there all well and good or are you?
They say that the cut price people are ruining it for the rest
of us.
I also know that the expensive ones are doing the same.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 10:03:36 pm »
Hardley seems worth all the effort at £170 a day! :(

I have a £27,000 roof and stonework bill to pay in the next couple of months is the deadline, work was done a year and half ago.
I'd be struggling to pay such a huge bill if i was earning 170 a day..

The Great One

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 10:21:22 pm »
Hi

£27,00 for a roof, what's it made of Gold?

or is it the size of a large church?

Martin 8)

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 10:24:55 pm »
John whats wrong charging £170 for a suite I don't understand your point.

Tony
STAY YOUNG HAVE FUN BE HAPPY xx
www.carpetcleanersbridlington.co.uk