robert meldrum

£38 for two carpets
« on: August 10, 2011, 10:16:53 am »
These people (who incidentally use truckmounts ) are now parking a little pickup with advertising board at our local ASDA and it's highly visible to everyone visiting this VERY busy store.

Must say I'd thought of doing exactly the same thing a few years ago but failed to put my idea into action and now someone has done so and they will get a ton of work without the Groupon costs.

Ian Gourlay

Re: £38 for two carpets
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 10:21:29 am »
Robert

If I remember correctly you operated at the lower price end of the market

and I remember the exiting debates with You, Gary from Brentwood,

and Sherlock  in Essex or Kent and how you were all slammed down

Interesting how things change

robert meldrum

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 10:34:16 am »
Nothing really changes Ian................I, as I always stated I would, did increase my prices gently over the years and went from around £15 per room to a minimum charge of £38 which some will still find the equivelent of stacking shelves in Tesco, but in reality gives an an average job value of around £70.

I've looked at a number of web sites which have ridiculously low charges and use T/M s even in the London area.

The people I refer to on this thread started this offer ( £38 for 2 ) about a year ago and operate in the West of Scotland and around Sheffield.

robert meldrum

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 11:13:00 am »
I've always been a marketer in my working life Ian but admit I've ALWAYS worked harder than necessary due to my nature.

It's my nature to .............push a car for someone.............give a can of fuel to another.............give extra time time to struggling learners ( when adriving instructor ) and I still occasionally resolve peoples back pain when cleaning their carpets,

It may have prevented me from becomeing rich in £'s but I've made a huge difference to many others lives.

I still do work for some very wealthy clients but never overcharge them.  Am I soft or stupid or a lousy businessman or am I making a difference to other peoples lives by just being ME ?

I made a lot of money as a golf pro and even more with a cleaning business 30 years ago but I've got more satisfaction from restoring peoples flexibility and relieving their pain.

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 11:26:20 am »
wow 15 pounds a carpets pretty low would need alot of leads to keep the house from falling

robert meldrum

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 11:45:58 am »
Jamie............that was 30 years ago but there are people currently charging as little and in places like London. When we were working at those prices we were doing 6-7 jobs x 6 days a week and averaging about £40 per job.

Do you take £1500 per week today................if you allow for inflation you could double or even treble our charges of 30 years ago to arrive at today's value, which would be around £3000 to £4500 per week.

When I refer to " we " I'm talking about two of us working as a team and getting through work quickly.

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 12:15:49 pm »
so what what would your charges be in todays game

L.Doubtfire - The Blade Runner

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 03:58:10 pm »
I used to work with a fella,well a couple of times anyways on site.
( I used to do his insurance flood/smoke jobs,well in he was with
The insurance companies as I recall).
He used to charge £60 per room irrespective of size.That was 1983,
Needless to say he did`nt do much work,not that he wanted to I don`t
Think.
Back to today,2 rooms say 3 x 3 empty no furniture,£38 payment on
Completion,preferably cash,,,,,, ::) ::) ::) ??? ??? ???

2 rooms,8 x 6 packed full with welsh dresses and pianos etc.etc.,,,,, :-\ :-\I used to work with a fella,well a couple of times anyways on site.
Think.
Completion,preferably cash,,,,,,

2 rooms,8 x 6 packed full with welsh dresses and pianos etc.etc.,,,,,

Lewis  Doubtfire
I used to work with a fella,well a couple of times anyways on site.
Think.
Completion,preferably cash,,,,,,

2 rooms,8 x 6 packed full with welsh dresses and pianos etc.etc.,,,,,

Lewis  Doubtfire

Lewis  Doubtfire
L. Doubtfire
Window Cleaner

robert meldrum

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 04:50:36 pm »
Jaimie

No fixed prices as every job is different. If I've not seen the job I ask a lot of questions and base my estimated ( to be confirmed ) price on the answers.

My lowest charge is between £38 and £44 depending on distance and access.

So a single 5x4 living room would be £38 - £44 with additional areas dependent on size and condition. I used to get caught out frequently but if it's not as described and will take a lot longer to do I price upwards accordingly.
To my mind anyone who claims they would not get out of bed for that kind of pricing is probably being economical with the truth or maybe just plain stupid.

I expect to earn in the region of £45 per hour worked. Occasionally it will be double that amount.

Last night I was asked to clean a standard staircase with no hall and a 1 sq metre tiny landing the lady said it was filthy so I quoted £44.

Took me less than 30 minutes with an upholstery tool I got from Shaun Ashmore but modified and ran it at 400 psi................looked " as new " when finished and the lady was stunned as she was an EOT and expecting to replace it.

These little jobs when done to a high standard at moderate pricing almost always result in further work which means minimum marketing costs.

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 10:45:35 pm »
like your honesty robert  ;)

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 10:49:36 pm »
Good swap what we did Robert I love my little buffer, BTW what machine are you using now?

Shaun

robert meldrum

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 11:48:36 pm »
Hi Shaun

I was using the Bane until two weeks ago when it left my life forever. I rejuvenated an old CFR and that's what I use mostly or for small jobs I have a little Sabrina which copes with single carpets and most upholstery.

Also have an ancient Victor 180 rpm rotary.

With the right tools and an adventurous nature it's amazing what can be achieved.

jim mca

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 12:01:28 am »
Robert

The last time I was at asda it was £38 for 3 but did not include stairs they also had a A board trailer
at springburn dont see how they can make it pay but each to there own.