irjones

Re: is there enough work out there
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2005, 11:12:21 pm »
I live about 5 miles from Glastonbury and I am unsure how much to charge A work mate w/c charges a fiver. but if I did my house @ 75p a window/door it works out @ £6.75 is 75p a window/door a fair price
ir jones

Paul Coleman

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2005, 12:22:59 am »
I live about 5 miles from Glastonbury and I am unsure how much to charge A work mate w/c charges a fiver. but if I did my house @ 75p a window/door it works out @ £6.75 is 75p a window/door a fair price

If that is a reasonably prosperous area, maybe go for £1 a window (frame - not pane) and set a minimum as well.
The way I quote is as follows:-
I count up the windows and reckon on £1 a window.  I set a minimum of £10 per house.  If there is an upstairs window that is more than one climb, I take the view that it's £1 per climb (I clean the traditional way for now).  If I have to mess around setting up my extension pole for any awkward windows then I add some on.  Also, I have a certain amount per hour in mind as well and I often double check my quote against that figure too.  If I feel that I wouldn't achieve the per hour figure on a frame count then I go with the per hour figure.  Additionally, if there are two small, very easy ground floor windows, I will often view them as being one window.
Also, if the windows are small panes (leaded or Georgian style) -  I add a *lot* on.  I do live in a reasonably well off area of the southeast though.  It's not "millionaire's row" but it's reasonably OK.
You will probably be turned down on price sometimes.  Remember, if you get all, or nearly all the work you quote for then you are going in too cheap.

williamx

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2005, 01:52:38 pm »
Zeusjazmin

You say that Ayr is different and they charge £5-£6 and its only 14 miles away, cound't you start a round there?

zeusjazmin

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2005, 10:07:17 pm »
i think someone would have all the goos houses sewed up
i go to an indian restaurant there and some of the houses i see would be about £20 to £30 ,they are big properties
also ayr comes under south ayrshire ,i am only licensed to clean in east ayrshire,
but it could be an idea to ask anyway   cheers

malky_mcgookin

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2005, 11:25:19 pm »
Zeusjazmin,   North Ayrshire is where I work -  (Irvine).  They are one of the few local authorities in Scotland who do not issue licences for window cleaning.  The world's your oyster there.  You are definitely charging too low.  In Irvine my minimum charge is £4.00, soon to be a fiver.  I'm licenced to operate in Renfrewshire where my min charge is £6.  Like you I'm constantly coming up against the low pricers - don't do it - look for new work and price what the job's worth.  In North Ayrshire there are many reasonable homeowners who will pay £5 - £6 plus for an average 3 - bed semi/detatched. 

james44

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2005, 12:09:04 am »
Yep agree with malky  your far to cheap

zeusjazmin  i also work in north ayrshire (Ardrossan) and are getting £5.50/£7.50 here so why not in ayr, there are plenty of cleaners here still charging £3.50 but i still get my prices,

i have been cleaning now for 18 months  and are picking up customers every time i am out, i have picked up customers from the £3.50 mob who just  vanish but they are accepting my prices why, because i am regular and do a good job people will pay for a good reliable cleaner,  i know what you mean though some estates you go to will not pay any more than £3.50  look for newer estates people there want a good reliable service. sorry everybody is but only certain ones will pay,think about it mate what would you rather do

100 houses@£6.50=£650

or 260houses@£2.50=£650

you know the answer

james

Wayne.

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2005, 06:06:53 pm »
i cant believe that you would charge 2.50 for a house, i have a min of 8.50 and yes there are other window cleaners who offer a cheaper service in my area, however i often point out when i get a bad reaction  to my prices i explain that we are a proffesional company unlike many window cleaners we pay our taxes are fully insured and are members of the NFMW&GC, in my experience this has won over a good % of  customers, and i would suggest to anyone please help us cleaners to help yourselfs provide Quality, Proffessionalism, and good time keeping,  and reach your worth, lets work together and improve the worth of a window cleaners time.
Abyss Cleaning Services, (Chelmsford, Essex)

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2005, 06:34:30 pm »
Interesting thread, I've been through bad times and good times over the years, don't give up guys, that is the key.  how does the saying go..." Cut your cloth.." just live within your means.  Don't get a heart attack like me and end up with nothing for six months, having to almost start again after 15 years, now 18 and still going not so strong. There are plenty tougher ways of earning a crust.
On a lighter note, basing things on the pint of lager scale is excellent.
I would suggest starting with three pints, then think of a number double it add a nought, and who cares if they want a window cleaner or not today.
Pj

zeusjazmin

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2005, 09:31:18 pm »
Zeusjazmin,   North Ayrshire is where I work -  (Irvine).  They are one of the few local authorities in Scotland who do not issue licences for window cleaning.  The world's your oyster there.  You are definitely charging too low.  In Irvine my minimum charge is £4.00, soon to be a fiver.  I'm licenced to operate in Renfrewshire where my min charge is £6.  Like you I'm constantly coming up against the low pricers - don't do it - look for new work and price what the job's worth.  In North Ayrshire there are many reasonable homeowners who will pay £5 - £6 plus for an average 3 - bed semi/detatched. 
my sister stays in springside where the local cleaner charges £2 per house ,mind you i think that is only on the days he is not sighning on the buroo

Trevor Knight

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2005, 07:10:09 am »
I am in a state of shock and amazement that you guy's take work on at such low prices. I have been cleaning windows for 14 years and can only say this. If your service is good, your reliable, INSURED, frindly and helpful and wipe the window sills down as part of your service people will pay you what that service is worth. When I first started I was worried about charging too much or too little, then I decided to bite the bullet and do what was good for me and change my business around. My minimum charge is £10 no matter what your property is, I explain to customers that once the VAT @17.5% is out, then the Tax Man 10 - 15% has his share, then the wages for the guy that helps me, then the cost of petrol and equipment is out this leaves the business about £4. This guarentees that I will be here next week, next month, next year in fact longer than they will probably live in their house. You pay for what you get in this world (excuse the pun) if they want someone who charges £6, has no insurance, is not registered or legal then I wish them well and leave them a card for when they change their mind. I did this 7 years ago and have never looked back. Think of it this way, you can only clean so many houses in a day so your in charge of what you can earn. Would you rather have 30 houses at £10 each and room for more or 60 houses at £5 each busting ya back???

Good luck to you all peoples and enjoy your day ahead
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

zeusjazmin

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2005, 08:28:35 pm »
the thing is ,if there are another 19 window cleaners in your area,and they all charge maybe £4 or £5 on average ,all providing the same standard with the same overheads how do you convince your customers that you should be getting £10?

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2005, 09:57:06 pm »
the thing is ,if there are another 19 window cleaners in your area,and they all charge maybe £4 or £5 on average ,all providing the same standard with the same overheads how do you convince your customers that you should be getting £10?

Yep I agree zeus
Years ago I had a different business in the affluent southeast, doing very well for myself, thought I'm so good at this i can make it work anywhere!  So we moved to East Anglia, the business flopped left me 2 years later depressed skint in need of a new job, thats when I started w/c as a stop gap...18 years ago!  I've survived, but would never be so overconfident again.  Stick with what you know, and trust your own judgement on what you charge, only you know what you can do.  (I'm starting to sound like Jerry Springer)  just becase someone can earn 2 Grand a week standing on his head doesn't mean you can.  Let the boasters boast.
No offence meant to anyone, just being realistic
Pj

Trevor Knight

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2005, 05:51:01 pm »
Hi Zeus,

I understand what you're saying, have to admit if you have 19 other window cleaners in your area doing exactly the same standard, all insured and registered then thats a tough one :( . If it was me I would look to be different, perhaps charge a bit more and wash the window frames and the door frames, maybe offer a loyalty card where for every 6 cleans they get the next one half price, One thing that worked for me and my employee's was registering all of them with the County Police, just adds more protection to your clients and adds peace of mind, what about registering with the Federation Of Master Window Cleaners?? If the others in your area are charging the same then I would look to sell my service against them and charge an extra £1/£2 and see how you get on. Once you have cleaned them every month for 12 months and lasted the winter the customer has a proven track record to go by, more reason to accept the increase and not go walkies. I am not saying I know it all and hope it doesn't come across as that, all i am saying is I hate to see fellow window cleaners having their hands tied for doing what is a bloody hard job, especially in the winter!!  ;)

Trevor Knight

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2005, 06:15:14 pm »
Hi PJ,

Totally agree with you, everyone has to work within their own boundaries and limitations, all I was saying was don't be led by the others, be the leader yourself and change what is the normal ! Make the small changes now and the bigger benifits will follow. Am not saying I am right, I am just sharing what I did that made a change in my business, was not trying to boast in any way and if it came across like that I apologise!

seanc

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2005, 06:56:44 pm »
there is loads of work out there go to every door and ask if they have a window cleaner if they say yes just say thank you for your time and walk away to the next door and so on once you get 1 or two houses in that street and you are doing a good job YOU MUST TURN UP EVERY TIME you will be swamped with work and everyone will be asking you to do theres
do it today tommorow never comes

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2005, 03:55:52 pm »
Hi PJ,

Totally agree with you, everyone has to work within their own boundaries and limitations, all I was saying was don't be led by the others, be the leader yourself and change what is the normal ! Make the small changes now and the bigger benifits will follow. Am not saying I am right, I am just sharing what I did that made a change in my business, was not trying to boast in any way and if it came across like that I apologise!

Fair point Trevor, not taking a pop at you or anyone, like you I have my personal experience to draw on.  Pleased to take on board what anyone says on here as their experience.  It's all gravy mate!
Regards Pj

zeusjazmin

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2005, 09:25:18 pm »
i have no lack of customers ,i turned down about 250 houses last week,i just dont have the time to do them,,,,also if i take someone on to help me i cannot guarantee them a weekly wage due to weather

craig jwc

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2005, 11:47:31 pm »
I've taken the advice from this forum and started door knocking.
I found hardly any responce to flyers but i went out last night for an hour and an hour tonight and pulled in at least 8 new customers.
I found out after i gave a quote that i had taken work from someone else on some of them even though i was more expensive just because i wipe the frames. I did lose out on some others which i thought i quoted quite resonable only to find i was £4 - £5 pound cheaper. I was kicking myself after.
There are quite a few window cleaners in my area who obviously charge very different prices.
I try and work prices out on the time it will take and how difficult some windows will be to get too. I would never try and take work off anyone on purpose but as one customer said to me "IT'S GOOD TO HAVE COMPETITION"
I still find alot of people will say loyal to there present window cleaner which is nice as i hope the ones i have will stay loyal to me.
I am going out again tomorrow to try and find more work as i want to make this my full time job.
I thought i wouldn't find work until i took everyones advice on here and it's slowly starting to happen.
So thanks for all the great advice everyone is giving and good luck to everyone in my position

Rick

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2005, 02:35:13 pm »
well what can i say but i have seen this first hand and its not pretty, i knew a group of window clearners about 5 years back and they were charging 3.50 a house and a fiva for the bigger private jobs, now this is in the midlands!, i would talk to them and they would brag about how much work they have wich is grate but i was clearing the same money they were with a hell of a lot less work...

my advice is this...... you have the work you got now not very good wages but its yours.. now you need to expand quick! i know its hard to hitt the sweet spots/area's but they are out there, find em and get some better prices in, if cometition is so tough think of way of selling yourself that makes you look like you have a lot more to offer.... once you hitt a sweat spot start at a decent price and as you move along up your price untill you start getting the door slammed in your face, once you finish the area you will have found the best price you can get for that area, then start dropping some of the bad paying jobs and TELL them you will not be comming back becasue its just not paying the bills you never know the reaction, its different when you say you are putting up the price and they know you will be there next month but once YOU TELL THEM that you wont the shoe is on the other foot.....

in my experience once you give your customers a price and find out you just shot yourself in the foot its damn hard to pull the price up, so you have to tell them why you aint comming again and salvage what you can and add the newly priced jobs to that and you should be a atleast a little better off a hour...

put it this way, if you do 30 houses in a given street for 3.00 and yuo tell them your not comming back becasue they are just not paying if only 4 out of that 30 keep you on and agree the new price how long do you think it will be before the others ask you again? it wont be long m8, they all say "ill do it myself" but once that bird crap hits the glass they soon come round...

you are putting them in charge its your bussines not theres you just have to tell them withought actualy saying it if you know what i mean, trim that round up m8 or you will struggle when its time to put ya feet up and retire.....

i wish you the best

rick
"excuse me..... are you a window cleaner?"
"no love im a airline pilot"
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
dont you just love this job?