T. A. Cleaning

How to price up a job?
« on: November 07, 2003, 12:53:36 pm »
Hi All,

Whats the best way to price up domestic and commercial window cleaning work?

Price per window?

Thanks.

Neil

Re: How to price up a job?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2003, 09:00:22 pm »
Hi
I am new to this game so have been doing a lot of pricing up latley, I know how much I need to be earning to cover my costs such as diesel, insurance, and deepheat,(for my aching arms) add on how much my wife wants me to earn, a little bit for me. THEN GUESS!!!
Most of the time I seem to be about right, sometimes high sometimes low but after you have done a few you seem to get a feel for it.
I have leaned to NEVER ask how much there last w/c was charging coz they never tell you the truth and that then puts you in a difficult position. Do you, seem expensive by putting up the price, or say OK i will do it for that price and then kick yourself when you get back to the van?. Think of a number add a couple of quid and go for it they can only say no. besides when they see how good you are they know they are getting a good deal!!!!!

Majestic

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2003, 09:52:04 pm »
Another tip ,If someone comes out while you are cleaning a house and asks you if you can clean there windows , and then ask  how much will it be. Dont give them a price until you have had a look around the back as they could have more windows around the back than they do at the front ,  8)

Mikey Warner

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2003, 10:04:15 pm »
Wylie, I will admit that when I price up a job on a non average house (you know, semi, terraced, bungalow etc) I do ask what their last cleaner charged, and I always seem to be a couple of quid dearer and i still get the job   ??? ::)

Mikey

Neil

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2003, 10:11:42 pm »
Bones,
Maybe I have just got too much of a concience or perhaps i am not tough enough yet but once they tell me what they were charged the Mr nice guy in me takes over! And then I hate myself for the rest of the day lol. :D

Mikey Warner

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2003, 10:20:05 pm »
Wylie, I too have this Mr. Nice Guy inside (especially for the stunners ;)), but now I know i ain't going to be getting another wage packet from full time employment he hide away a bit more.

When I ask and she/he say's £6 I'll always say well i can't do this for less than £8 but I wipe your frames and  your sills. and that usually get's me the job,..... I think ???

Mikey

Neil

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2003, 10:23:56 pm »
I havent got any stunners on my round but more Nora Battys than is fair:( :( :(

Mikey Warner

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2003, 10:29:00 pm »
If you want to get some stunners on your round this is how to do it ;) ;)

When you're out with the lads in the club or pub just wander up to the birds and give them the hello darlin', and when they give you the reply "oh no" or "you're joking", just say, "sorry luv, I don't wanna get in your knickers,.. I just wanna clean your windows" and give her your card ;) ;) ;)

Mikey

Londoner

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2003, 11:42:20 am »
It only goes to show, one mans Nora Batty is another mans stunner.

Ive been doing this job on and off for 25 years and still haven't a clue what to charge. Pricing is the difficult bit.

What I have come to realise is that if you canassed and said to the customers  you would clean their windows for a pound some people would still say you are too dear.

The higher your price the more refusals you will get but you still get those that agree to the price.

It works out better in the long run to clean less windows for more money than the other way round.

If only I could practice what I preach

crystal

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2003, 04:20:04 pm »
slightly different slant on this one, i canvassed & priced jobs at what ithought was a reasonable price at the time, having had 3 weeks worth of windows behind me now i realise not so. when i go back to do first clean i expain briefly that ive realised ive undercharged  :( :-[ & could i reqoute so far all customers have agreed to my revised price ;) sometimes almost twice the price my point is dont be scared to value the job at what it is actually worth youll be suprised at at what the customer will agree to. at worst they can refuse so you either walk away or accept original with a grimace. :-/

LEEZEKLEEN

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 09:44:48 pm »
Dont forget to add your "first clean" rate on top, say 50%extra

Majestic

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 10:24:05 pm »
What ever happened to Mikey Warner

mark dew

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 12:23:19 am »
I saw him a year or 2 back. He said he had his van stolen and then he disappeared. There was a post last year asking if anyone knew where he was. It got deleted.
If you're reading this mikey, give us a call mate. I'd like to do redisham hall if you are not doing it anymore.

dewy

Customers4u

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 07:28:13 am »
We price a job by window counting, and it seems to work, no matter which window cleaner we work with, a standard 2 pane window can be anything from 50p per window, right up to £2 in chiswick!

So at the £1 rate, a 2 pane 'standard' window is £1, a 3 pane window is £1.50, 4 pane £2, patio door, £1.50-£2 ea, small windows, 50p.

It is much easier to do the counting of windows first, then just multiply by the rate per window you are prepared to work at.

Paul
Window cleaning rounds built to your exact requirements

G O A

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 09:42:53 pm »
i have now found this easier by looking at the job and charging varying prices depending on how difficult it is and how long it may take also is there other earning potential in the area or is it a single house in the middle of no where,ive been going about 8 mth and have only had 1 person say no over the price.i also give the frames and doors a wipe people seem to like that, :)
if i wasnt self employed i wouldnt work at all

The Seven Bays Window Cleaning Company

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2007, 07:00:08 am »
I work my prices out by giving each window a a time - e,g  4 mins per ladder climb, and 3 mins for a 2 pane standard window - add all your mins up - then multiply by your rate per minute ( hour/60) + plus add on any access problems, or any extra risk your taking, and then round it up or down to the nearest pound.

I find this gives me consistency with my pricing , and generally allows me to earn my target rate

It really helps when you come to a big property, with lots of windows, and ladder climbs    - I also think the customer like to see you get your calculator out, that gives a definite result rather than one appears to come from the head :-\.
THE SEVEN BAYS WINDOW CLEANING COMPANY

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2007, 12:20:30 pm »
In my opinion, you can't charge enough, I massively overquoted a job, 1,5Hr, £72. Not even a blink, just yes please! Can you do the inside too?! Big house in the sticks, in Surrey. Your area might vary, but if they have enough money they usually do not mind at all.

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2007, 09:52:05 am »
I work it out per window on big jobs, small ones per job

East coast window cleaning Services

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2007, 11:10:44 pm »
Think of a figure and double it ;D
P&R Window Cleaning

take it slow

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2008, 02:35:12 am »
It certainly helps if you are not desperate for work. Someone asked me to clean just two dorma windows the other day, I didnt really want the job, so I said £40. She said when can you do them. Perhaps I should have said £100.
I normally charge between £7 and 10 for 3 bedroom house.