Clean-A-Windows

Flyers, Do they work
« on: September 13, 2004, 02:14:26 pm »
Do flyers work?
If so how many will i need?
What percentage of return will i expect to get from them in new work?

Anyone got any spare or unwanted work in the Cirencester area?

All information and advice greatly recived
work is so up and down

dave_carroll

Re: Flyers, Do they work
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 09:06:20 pm »
it depends but i'm inclined to say yes, got a customer last week that i put a flyer through last december, but if i'd called back after a few days she would have been a customer for while now. having said that i was a little naieve (green) back then and would only have charged half that i do now. so when you leaflet an area you MUST get back to call on them a few days later.
 having said that i targeted an area last saturday, 80% town houses and the phones red hot this week got 6 already with no call backs so it also depends on the area, plus i'm the only WFP guy in town (as yet) so i'm expecting good things when i do call back.

short answer YES

good luck
                         dave

ps. how many? just start with 100 home made, just do 1 road at a time then its easier to keep track of your call backs
swamps

Clean-A-Windows

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 09:34:20 pm »
Cheers for that Dave. nothing ventured nothing gained.
Now to get flyers copied
                     Thanks again Pete
work is so up and down

pjulk

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 10:22:02 pm »
I get most of my customers from flyers.
I go out for a couple of hours every week and post about 400 flyers a time.
I never call back i keep think of it but have not plucked the courage up yet to go door knocking.

I have been doing this every week since may.
I now have over 130 customer and picked up new customers every day.

If i did go door knocking i suppose i would have double the customers i have so far.

Paul

andydawes

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 10:47:18 pm »
Paul, any chance you could e mail me a copy of your flyer, cheers, Andy.

pjulk

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 11:00:23 pm »
Check you mail

Paul

geoffreyspecht

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 11:09:28 pm »
never used flyers ,the best way to build up a window cleaning round is to go knocking on doors

Rob_Mac

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2004, 11:27:54 pm »
I agree with geoffreyspecht but it does take a special kind of person to go doorknocking. I aint up for all that negativity

pjulk

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2004, 11:40:19 pm »
I aint up for all that negativity

Totally agree i don't feel comfortable cold calling.
I see i'm not the only one so that is where the leaflets are useful.

Paul

geoffreyspecht

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2004, 11:42:00 pm »
no anyone can do it after alll its part of the job

geoffreyspecht

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2004, 11:45:11 pm »
paul its the best way to get business

Rob_Mac

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2004, 11:58:31 pm »
I canvassed for a local paper some years ago and I am of the thought that you can sell your own business better than anyone but with a leaflet they will ring if they want it and if you are leafleting where you already have work Oh heck I'm all confused now when I get the new wfp then I am going to do some door knocking, feeling tense already. First no and I'm off home to hide under the bed. Nobody likes me

geoffreyspecht

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2004, 12:25:12 am »
midas i know exactly how u feel so stop blubbing and get out there and start knocking on those doors  

Rob_Mac

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2004, 12:45:50 am »
Agree with you all the way logic makes sense and I know I have a good enough brand to get new cleans and I really am gonna sell the wfp door to door before someone else gets the work

pjulk

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2004, 12:50:55 am »
I keep think of door knocking but then keep putting it off

Did try to get someone to do it for me with not much luck.

I know it's the best way to build a round up and i think i will just have to bite the bullet and go for it.

Maybe after a couple of hours door knocking i will get the hang of it and won't feel so nervous.

I think it's just what to say but i dare say i will think of something

Paul

Rob_Mac

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2004, 11:09:13 pm »
The more I think about it the more convinced I am that no one is as good as me at cleaning windows and if I take this attitiude onto door knocking then I know I can get new customers door to door

Duke

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2004, 06:14:52 pm »
Canvassing (doorknocking) is the best way to put on new customers. We put on 1600 in just over 12 months...but you've not got to mind doing it. Evenings are best. Expect an average of 2 per hour.....

dave_carroll

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2004, 11:57:12 pm »
posted flyers in one area last week, had six phone calls, did a call back this afternoon and got another seven. just goes to show that lots of people want a WC but they just don't know it until you call, don't think i'd 'cold call' though  :-[. there were loads of people not in, all potential customers. so get posting then get knocking.

dave
swamps

windakleena1

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2004, 10:29:23 pm »
Potential customers can easily dump a flyer in the bin,
yet when your "in their face" they find it harder to say "no". Flyers cannot emphisise how you will make a good job of their sills , frames ect...
A little flirting works wonders with the housewife!. ;)

PPC

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2004, 04:42:15 am »
Gentleman,
                  I really am amazed by the number of my fellow cleaners that have this 'fear/ aversion' to door knocking. If you actually analized the amount of effort, time and costs you employ leaflet dropping and correlate that to your hit ratios you really are selling yourselves short.

Think of it this way:

Your all denying yourself the most valuable chance to initiate new business. By that i mean the chance to make a good 1st impression.

Consider:  How many leaflets do I(you) throw away every week. Out of the local newsapapers. mags, casual restuarant menus.

Then ask yourself why any potential customer would consider a name on a piece of paper over a friendly introduction of yourself and your business.

This is a service industry and the first rule of good service is the ability to communicate with your new and old clients.

So next time you get worried about a 'NO'. Reply with:

Well i do hope we may be of service to you in the future and in the meantime if you would like a no obligation quotation please feel free to contact me on this number -   Handing Her/Him your  (PRINTED) business card!!

Hey presto its a no now but when they want someone who they gonna call?

Friendly, professional, smart and organised YOU?

Or Jim from wash & go who stuffed a paper flyer through their door!

Answer on a postcard :)

Hope you give it a go chaps - Its not as daunting as you first think!!

Gary Hennell

Pinnacle Professional Cleaning Ltd

Timmy Boy

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2004, 04:28:17 pm »
I am very much a newcomer to this industry, I am so new in fact that I still have a window cleaner myself!! He charges me £7.00 for my house, turns up when he feels like it and does a bad job! I have also had a flyer come through the door for another window cleaner  which is on a crumpled bit of paper and looks like it has been in his van for a few weeks! What do you guys do to show yourself to be better than these guys? - A free first clean maybe?

replacement

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2004, 06:27:30 pm »
I would not offer a first clean FREE, your get aload of free loaders whom will take you up on the offer then never use you again. No one does nothing for FREE so why should you. Do some good flyers, and look smart and be polite your be amazed how much this works. It takes time to build up, dont under vaule youreself as well.

Good luck and all the best.

Justin

Malcal

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2004, 10:01:16 am »
Hi All
Read a lot about fliers and have been given a few, I don't mind door knocking as I've telesaled in the past. The question is where to start, how do I know if the area is being serviced. I leafleted and knocked a street of about 100 houses and didn't get enough to take the ladders off the car. Most said already got a wc even when the windows were filthy.

How do you know were to target?

Many thanks in advance
Mal

replacement

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2004, 12:55:05 pm »
Put the flyers where you like, even knock but dont undercut as your realise what a mistake you have made later on when you get busy. When people tell me they have a window cleaner then say how much would you do it for i dont bother as when another wc comes along they will ask them the same, you hardly every get loads in one street so you might be starting and stopping all over a Town, but once you get know you do pick more up in the same street.

Justin

pjulk

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2004, 07:22:50 pm »
I leafleted and knocked a street of about 100 houses and didn't get enough to take the ladders off the car

You get that try another road nearby you will be suprised and like justin said you will never get loads in one street but once people have seen you are regular you will soon pick up more work in each street.
picked up one customer in a road i did not do which has about 50 houses about 5 months ago so leafleted the rest of the road did not get any replies i started cleaning this one house and now have all her neighbours and nearly half the road all came out to me whilst cleaning or recommended and now get a few phone calls from the leaflets i put out when i was first there.

Paul