RO-Sheen

Had my 1st fall from a ladder yesterday!
« on: October 05, 2006, 01:40:06 pm »
Although Im wfp I had to use a ldder to get on top of a solid conservatory roof as there are 6 velux windows on it (massive conservatory!)
I put my ladder up against the side of the house, careful to position it at the recommended 75° angle and removed a glass garden table just in case and climbed up. As I got to the top and just about the step onto the con roof the ladder slid down the side of the house. My legs went through rungs and I ended up on my back with the ladder on top of me. My ribs, right leg and right elbow are sporting bruises and a few cuts and grazes to my arms but nothing too serious. But it could have been so much worse. I noticed that there was a 2' metal garden spike (for sticking into the lawn and hang flowerpots from) in the heap beneath me. If  I felt really annoyed with myself but very lucky as I didnt break any bones or stab myself!

As I dont use ladders much I thought the 75° angle would be ok but what I didnt take into account was the ground surface. My customer had a wooden patio and it had got a bit slippery.
Round 2: I put their outside doormat under the ladder and seemed to give it more stability.

i've now learnt my lesson!
Formerly known as GARGAAX

glimmer man

Re: Had my 1st fall from a ladder yesterday!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 02:17:48 pm »
wooden decking is tottally lethal without a poper safty device or someone to foot your ladders. sounds like your better off sticking to your wfp mate. :)
TONY

Polewash

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 02:50:57 pm »
I fell off mine twice in 20 mins, managed to pull the gutter down the second time. I wasn't cleaning windows. I was running some tv cable under the roof tiles. The owner was doing some extensions. The ladder was on a chipboard floor (deadly). I should have learned after the first time. When the ladder slipped it slid right down a window, not sure why it didn't break. It left some nice black rubber marks on the glass though. Other time I put ladder on sloped tiled roof to get up on second level and ended up in a heap on the roof bruised and battered and had to replace broken roof tiles.

I take no chances now, life too short.

Glad you survived.

John     

Adam Boss

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 03:37:16 pm »
Think the last 2 posts need to get a job away from ladders, as for the post where he put ladders on a sloping roof, this is just plain stupid !
Ther is enough help on this forum regardind ladder saftey and there is enough saftey gear to help when using ladders.
This type of practice gives fuel to the group on window cleaners who don't use ladders, we don't need this and can be avoided.
Ladders are safe if used in the correct manner, ladder stopper ect.
I have been in the business for nearly 20 years and use wfp aswell
I prefer ladders but on certain cleans wfp will be used.

Regards >:( >:(
EST: 1988

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 04:16:07 pm »
 ;D after years of falling off ladders you learn to bounce ;D :o :-X
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

Jake

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 04:52:11 pm »
Some of us don't bounce any more Terry ! ;)
Exeter, Devon

RO-Sheen

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 09:20:33 am »
Asboss - read my post again! I did not say I put my ladder on a sloped roof! I would not be that stupid!  I put it on decking in the garden which is on flat ground.
I took the percaution of positioning the ladder at the correct angle but just made the mistake of not putting a mat or stopper on/under the ladder.
I posted the above to warn newbie window cleaners of my mistake in the hope they do not make the same mistake, as this is what this forum is about...Helping others. Putting offensive remarks on does not help anyone.
Use this forum as it is supposed to be used

Fast 1 *

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 10:35:27 am »
common sense ;)
wildstyles

mick40

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 02:27:23 pm »
dont think he was talking about you,i think it was message 3 about the sloping roof ::)
if i eat myself will i be twice as fat or will i disappear?

RO-Sheen

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 02:56:34 pm »
GULP!!!!
Sorry Mr Asboss, That will teach me not to critise someone else for not reading the thread properly!!
Looks like thats two lessons Ive learnt this week............

Anyway, I need to go as I need to get to the supermarket to buy some humble pie for Dinner tonight!

dougster

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 10:14:20 pm »
had three falls of ladders the last , cut my face a real mess.But i still knocked on the door and apoligized, for damagong plants, phew another lucky escape by landing on the garden not solid floor

sussex187

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 07:53:32 pm »
fell off once .........but done it properly ended up with 22 screws and a plate in ankle and four more ops...worse bit was had eaten that morning i fell and was awake with then drilling in leg...nasty lol

Adam Boss

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 08:11:34 pm »
Thanks for that Mick.
The best advice I can give when using ladders is if you think of the worst case senario and make sure you are covered on all bases.
The ladder stopper is one of the best pieces of kit I use, as I am nearly all comercial you will find this is a basic requirement for h&s.
Regards
asboss ;) ;)
EST: 1988

tom_currie

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 10:36:41 pm »
you can not be serious door mat under ladder just as well send out invites to your funeral

S_RICHARDSON

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2006, 04:38:28 pm »
your lucky to be alive mate!

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2006, 07:41:02 pm »
How much does 20 foot of rope cost?
There'll always be something somewhere that the ladder can be tied to to stop it slipping away.

jules0267

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 08:10:09 pm »
4 how much , a tenner , 6mths broken leg, no round left, not worth it, risk assec , price it..... if they dont like the price dont do it.....

EasyClean

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 10:12:12 pm »
Ladders and decking simply don't go. Even if you are very cautious and use rubber safety mats, stabiliser bars for your ladder, etc. Decking is just a death trap for ladders, especially if they are wet. Use an extension pole, use a waterfed pole or simply tell the customer that the windows above the decking will have to be done from inside out. Put a price on your life if only from a safety aspect.
Losing a customer is like waiting for the next bus, another one will come along shortly!

captain lard

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 12:54:13 am »
Decking is a nightmare and I tie the ladder off on one particular job just to be sure.

Biscute

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2007, 01:47:52 pm »
first fall, remember it well and the daemon decking was involved as well, i was hungover and was carlesss on the second to last house of my day ladder went, caught onto the window cill and ad a foot on the sink drain pipe wich snaped, only for the halfwit lad i had to rus round and start trying to fix the drain pipe instead of getting the ladder back up for me. Yer he has gone and now looking forward to my new wfp back pack.
Dont argue with a retard, they will just pull you down to their level and beat you with experience.