James Styles

Wfp working from car New
« on: March 20, 2019, 04:28:30 pm »
Hello everyone, I’m looking to start up my window cleaning business and would be looking to go the wfp route but I would be using my car which is not the biggest it’s a red fiat punto active.
I have checked if long pole will fit in my car with a trad long pole which is 6.5 ft when enclosed and it fits no problem.
I’m thinking I can get 4 25lt barrells in my car, I’d have the back pack, wfp then I’m all set right?
I already have squeegee blades, applicators, bucket, step ladders, leathers, cloths etc.
I’m basically asking if it’s do-able working from your car, has anyone else done this to start off with or currently doing it?
Once I have some steady work I would be looking to purchase a small van.
Any advice is welcome, many thanks.

jonboywalton75

Re: Wfp working from car
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 04:32:20 pm »
Hello everyone, I’m looking to start up my window cleaning business and would be looking to go the wfp route but I would be using my car which is not the biggest it’s a red fiat punto active.
I have checked if long pole will fit in my car with a trad long pole which is 6.5 ft when enclosed and it fits no problem.
I’m thinking I can get 4 25lt barrells in my car, I’d have the back pack, wfp then I’m all set right?
I already have squeegee blades, applicators, bucket, step ladders, leathers, cloths etc.
I’m basically asking if it’s do-able working from your car, has anyone else done this to start off with or currently doing it?
Once I have some steady work I would be looking to purchase a small van.
One other thing which may seem strange to some but it has entered my mind is that I’m a black guy with tattoos on my arms, I’m thinking when canvassing could this go against me like people thinking “he looks like trouble, I don’t want to be dealing with him etc” or is that me just being paranoid.
Any advice is welcome, many thanks.

Its windup time again😱😱😱😱

James Styles

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 04:34:57 pm »
I’m not winding anyone up, asking honest questions

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 04:49:11 pm »
Here we go again. 

Don't take this the wrong way but many of us took the time out of their busy time yesterday to offer free advice which you threw back in their faces.    I appreciate you apologised, and I would personally like to wish you all the best in your venture. 

Question is though, do you want to hear honest answers and opinions or would you rather we just tell you want you want to hear?  So many have failed in this industry because they underestimated what was involved.   I know you have experience in WC but its a different ball game when it's your own business to run for many reasons.

I see you have asked the same question on another forum too, and you have been given some really good advice in both.

I also suggest you take some time out and use the search function at the top.  It is a wealth of information which was valuable to me when I started over ten years ago.  I know I would not be where I am today if i was not for this forum.

Again, good luck with it.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

James Styles

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 04:56:43 pm »
Yes I do know I was out of order yesterday,  I really do regret that. I am looking for honest answers I won’t take it bad or snap. Im more or less asking if anyone has worked from there car before and any tips on how to make it work using the wfp system. I will also look through the forum cheers.

nathankaye

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 05:04:53 pm »
Yes I do know I was out of order yesterday,  I really do regret that. I am looking for honest answers I won’t take it bad or snap. Im more or less asking if anyone has worked from there car before and any tips on how to make it work using the wfp system. I will also look through the forum cheers.

Theres a tonne of info on you tube as well and plenty who work from the back of their car.  A friend of mine has a trailer with a tank of water n reel in and uses that and thus keeps his car clean and water free.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Ooooooog

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 05:08:14 pm »
5 years ago I was working from a car. No dramas, crack on.

James Styles

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 05:09:14 pm »

Theres a tonne of info on you tube as well and plenty who work from the back of their car.  A friend of mine has a trailer with a tank of water n reel in and uses that and thus keeps his car clean and water free.

That’s good to know, I will also look on YouTube about how the wfp systems work and the techniques cleaning with it, cheers pal.

Spruce

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 05:17:58 pm »
There was a suggestion of using a small trailer to carry drums of water. Two cleaners do this in our area, one uses a Mondeo and the other a 3 door Ford Fiesta.

They have both been doing this for a number of years. The cleaner using his Fiesta has his mate working along with him. Obviously, you need to be able to have some place to store the trailer or someone will nick it. The cleaner with the Mondeo usually carries between 12 and 15 drums with him each day. He uses a Purefreedom trolley.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

P @ F

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 05:39:01 pm »
If you think 4 barrels will go in go for it , 100 litre +20 in a backpack is ample considering nobody is actually on the books yet , what have you to lose ?
Your biggest problem will be water use on first cleans , once each job has been done once it will be maybe 20 litre per house thereafter.
This was my first wfp wagon as my beemer was old but far too nice , it had a 175 litre tank and that used to do me half a busy day , back then I was DI only and many custies did not have water meters fitted so let me fill up when I wanted , did it in my sarnie break and cracked on again !
Maybe an idea to canvass close to your spotless depot to start off .

I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Jonny 87

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 05:47:55 pm »
The question is........ what’s stopping you going for it?

It’s literally a few hundred quid to get your set up that you’ve mentioned.

The real problems start when your getting more customers, and have to travel a 40 minute round trip to get water, to earn £40.

As was mentioned yesterday in a few posts,  spend the 2 grand that you’ve got in the savings and go for it.

A little van, 350 wydale tank, pump, reel and controller, and clx pole.

Anything less and it’s a nightmare for wfp.

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

James Styles

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 05:48:45 pm »
If you think 4 barrels will go in go for it , 100 litre +20 in a backpack is ample considering nobody is actually on the books yet , what have you to lose ?
Your biggest problem will be water use on first cleans , once each job has been done once it will be maybe 20 litre per house thereafter.
This was my first wfp wagon as my beemer was old but far too nice , it had a 175 litre tank and that used to do me half a busy day , back then I was DI only and many custies did not have water meters fitted so let me fill up when I wanted , did it in my sarnie break and cracked on again !
Maybe an idea to canvass close to your spotless depot to start off .

Yeah it may be a bit tough once I (hopefully) get busier, but then I would look at upgrading to a larger car or van.
At the moment I feel worried to plough so much money into it when I don’t have any customers or anything at the moment lol it’s kind of scary just gambling on me getting work but I guess everyone here had to start somehow.
Yes mate I’m going to canvass all around where the spotless water service is aswell, thank you for the advice, it seems the wtp does use a lot more water then I am picturing on jobs.

Jonny 87

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 05:49:26 pm »
And also as a thought,

Do you need the punto?

Sell that and stick the cash into your business. Is it worth a grand? That would pay for most of your gear. Then you will have some savings left too.

As was said yesterday too, I’d get a part time job, then build up the window cleaning round.

Even delivering fast food can pay your way for a little while.

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

James Styles

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 05:53:57 pm »
The question is........ what’s stopping you going for it?

It’s literally a few hundred quid to get your set up that you’ve mentioned.

The real problems start when your getting more customers, and have to travel a 40 minute round trip to get water, to earn £40.

As was mentioned yesterday in a few posts,  spend the 2 grand that you’ve got in the savings and go for it.

A little van, 350 wydale tank, pump, reel and controller, and clx pole.

Anything less and it’s a nightmare for wfp.

I totally get what you are saying mate but my 2k savings is like a safety net with bills, car maintenance etc.
I haven’t even started canvassing yet or have any customers so I’d think it would be massively risky to buy a van straight off and hope I get a busy workload.
I’m more thinking if I can start out with my car then once I get a strong round upgrade to a van, just feels a bit more sensible to me, I am quite a cautious guy as you can tell haha.

James Styles

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 05:56:56 pm »
And also as a thought,

Do you need the punto?

Sell that and stick the cash into your business. Is it worth a grand? That would pay for most of your gear. Then you will have some savings left too.

As was said yesterday too, I’d get a part time job, then build up the window cleaning round.

Even delivering fast food can pay your way for a little while.

The punto has some damage to my door, quite a few marks etc, I honestly think I’d struggle to even get £500 for it.
I’m more looking at working from my car window cleaning then delivering fast food, if I can get even part time amount of work for each week I could save that way?

P @ F

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 06:00:24 pm »
Why not trade the punto for a cheapie estate car , probably get 8 to 10 barrels  in a largish one
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Stoots

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2019, 06:06:11 pm »
Of course you can use the car.

Would be better to swap it for a van but yes why not, if the rear seats arent used for family etc take them out.

I will be working out of a hire van next couple of days as my vans in for repairs.

All i have in it is 12 barrels, 2 backpacks and 2 poles and a few spares, so yes you can wfp with minimal gear, i will likely run out of water and have to come back mind.

windowswashed

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 06:09:45 pm »
Just one serious note, you need to make sure everything you put in the back of the car won't kill you from behind if you need to do an emergency brake whilst driving as accidents are unpredictable and they do happen so prevention is better than being a possible road fatality. Need to make sure it's all tied down or secured.

Stoots

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 06:12:51 pm »
Also you should be insured for business use.

Its all good until it goes tits up

dazmond

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 06:31:48 pm »
i did some work from a car(golf GTI) a few years ago when the oil pump went on my old van and seized the engine....i used 4 barrels(100L)and a backpack(22L)and a slx 22...i took a small DI vessel with me and topped up at lunchtime at customers houses...not ideal but its amazing how much work i was able to clean until my new van got delivered.....i also used around 20m of pole hose so i didnt have to keep moving my backpack.....i did trad some ground floor windows and doors and skipped a lot of top frames! ;D

i had to do it for around a month....i was glad to get back to the van mount at the end of it though.....but it got me out of a tight spot(it was just after new year...5 january when my van broke)
price higher/work harder!