Mark Sanchez-Garci

Water Marks on Carpets
« on: December 21, 2018, 03:58:59 pm »
I'm looking for advice on any procedure/stain remover which will get rid of water marks from a carpet , I've recently attended a home where the water tank in the loft leaked through the ceiling and after the puddle had been absorbed by the carpet has left a water mark?
Mark Sanchez-Garcia
Managing Director
Excellence Floorcare Ltd

Mike Halliday

Re: Water Marks on Carpets
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 05:42:52 pm »
Professionally clean the carpet is my first suggestion.  This is a common problem and usually is not a difficult stain to deal with.

Based of the type of carpet fibre I would Use a hot water extractor to rinse out the foreign matter.

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

dustee

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 08:34:21 pm »
Your training surely would have covered this !

derikraven

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 05:56:31 am »
Your training surely would have covered this !

The man's asking advice here, your comment is not very helpful. This site is all about helping others, there is no place for sarcasm.

just my opinion :)

dustee

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 09:31:35 pm »
Fully trained then are you 

People who think they can clean carpets use forums like this . we all start somewhere but training doe's come in handy

DB

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 02:22:55 pm »
Steady on guys....HAPPY NEW YEAR.

I have a feeling that the original poster is NOT a carpet cleaner....

Mike gave some good initial advice but there are some other questions that need answers..

How long has the carpet been wet?

How much water has contaminated the carpet?

Has the contamination penetrated through to the sub-floor?

A professional carpet cleaner will want to know these things before taking the job on..

Mike Halliday

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 05:14:43 pm »
This topic brings up a conundrum with giving advice. Should you give advice on a professional forum to someone who is not in the trade? Really you should just say.......’seek professional advice’ .

I wouldn’t go on a BMW mechanic forum and ask for advice on replacing the timing belt on my wifes car, even if they gave me advice I wouldn’t have the basic knowledge to act upon their instructions.

And to be honest I think it’s insulting to think the knowledge we have gained through experaince and training can be passed  on with a few sentences

jasonl

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 06:58:36 pm »
1, Ensure carpet/ floor is dry

2, Rinse extract clean the carpet with appropriate method according to the type of soiling

3, post bonnet to help prevent wick back
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

MarkSutcliffe

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 07:10:37 pm »
Managed to solve this problem with multi pro

relatively straight forward

Mr Dvae

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 10:20:38 pm »
As many watermarks magically disappear when you clean a carpet only to reappear as it dries out. Has anybody thought of de-browning, reducing or oxidising agents?

Hope I didn’t give too much away Mike ; ;D

DB

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 10:21:24 am »
Consideration must be given to the actual water contamination (Black water)... It's come through a ceiling... if it has penetrated through to the sub floor that too may need dealing with...checks may need to be carried out to determine any possible wicking up walls and cavities .

Mike Halliday

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 01:28:54 pm »
I’m at a school on Monday 7th, it’s had a roof water leak, they booked  the job in middle of December but the  caretaker  was on holday until this weekend, I tried to explain 2 weeks ago it was not as simple as they seamed to belief

They insisted it was ok and just ......”pop in on the 7th and give it a quick clean”

Mr Dvae

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 04:46:20 pm »
i must say, schools seem very lackadaisical with their floor covering cleaning. what with walking in doggy doo, dropping food, and vomiting on carpets, i still can't understand why many schools dont have carpets cleaned for as long as 10 years or more. They then insult us expecting a carpet cleaning professional to turn the carpet in to a new one including removing 36 million pieces of blue tack. It's a little like washing your car after a major accident expecting it to look in showroom condition. ;D

MarkSutcliffe

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 10:05:44 pm »
The school I work in part time has bad carpets...

lots of drink stains, to be fair not much gum as the kids prefer to stick it under desks...

The thing is though is that cleaning carpets is very low on a schools priorities on a strict budget!

Mr Dvae

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 05:14:15 pm »
Tight budgets. Ha ha don’t let that old gem fool you.
A local school to me said they couldn’t spare 2k for a carpet cleaning as money was short. Hang on a minute I say, you’ve just been allocated 4 million to improve the school! Oh er I’ll speak to the head was the reply.
The money is there I think the truth is they just don’t have any pride in their surroundings.
Teachers and nurses you know the rest.

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2019, 09:30:45 pm »
There’s a school we’ve been cleaning probably for about 10 years.

We first went in during the summer holidays following the school’s first year of being open.

We now go in about three times a year.

The thing is the carpets look as good as when they were first laid.

Whilst the school has higher costs on its revenue budget it has saved on its capital budget by not having to replace the carpet. And of course any new carpet would still have had to be cleaned and meanwhile there would have been the huge disruption of clearing the building to allow the new carpets to be put down.

Really this is a classic case of showing that with a bit of foresight money and disruption can be saved whilst also having pristine working conditions which tends to lead towards the occupants looking after their surroundings more and being more enjoyable to work and live in.

I just wish all our clients thought like this.
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way