Tom-01

Re: Royal Mail Door to Door
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2018, 06:23:47 pm »
Good results Steve. And I like the updates, especially giving the negatives as well as the positives to get an overall picture. So Royal Mail is worth it in your opinion?

At my house we get a gutter cleaning flyer through quite a few times a year with Royal Mail with another 4 or 5 leaflets. It must work for them as they continue to do it.

You say you take the calls and quote over the phone, how do you do that whilst being on the tools as well?

John Mart

« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2018, 06:45:06 pm »
Good results Steve. And I like the updates, especially giving the negatives as well as the positives to get an overall picture. So Royal Mail is worth it in your opinion?

At my house we get a gutter cleaning flyer through quite a few times a year with Royal Mail with another 4 or 5 leaflets. It must work for them as they continue to do it.

You say you take the calls and quote over the phone, how do you do that whilst being on the tools as well?
Generally just from the description plus I've only worked about 5 hours this week so I just Google the address whilst there on the phone.

richyp

« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2018, 10:34:02 pm »
What was the final count then mate?

John Mart

« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2018, 05:40:42 am »
I’ve not finished yet. 11,000 went out this week and there’s now around 10,000 a week until about 2nd week of September. So far this spring/summer we’ve added about 250. That’s met growth. The hope is around 500 by the time we get to Autumn.  The third van is full.

Tom-01

« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2018, 08:14:29 am »
I’ve not finished yet. 11,000 went out this week and there’s now around 10,000 a week until about 2nd week of September. So far this spring/summer we’ve added about 250. That’s met growth. The hope is around 500 by the time we get to Autumn.  The third van is full.

Sounds good.

Nice and steady by the sounds of it, grow one van at a time getting quality customers is the best way forward IMO. 

How many vans do you need in total for it to be worthwhile after all the costs? How long until you get there? Are running costs higher than you expected (not marketing)? Have you factored in getting a unit at some point?

Do you do all the planning, worklists, contacting of the customers?

John Mart

« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2018, 07:37:18 pm »

Sounds good.

Nice and steady by the sounds of it, grow one van at a time getting quality customers is the best way forward IMO. 

How many vans do you need in total for it to be worthwhile after all the costs? How long until you get there? Are running costs higher than you expected (not marketing)? Have you factored in getting a unit at some point?

Do you do all the planning, worklists, contacting of the customers?
To be truthful I could stop now or in a week or two anyway and we’d have a very good income. I’m aiming for a minimum of 5 full vans. Around 2,700 regular 8 weekly customers. Turnover on that should be around £450,000. At that point I plan to promote my number 1 guy to part time window cleaner and part time manager.

Re a unit. We moved out of our unit about 2 months ago. We had a dispute over parking with the landlord. At the moment we’re runni from home with the guys taking vans home until we find another one.

I haven’t totted up where we’re at this weekend as I’ve been flat out in the heat for three days trying to catch up a bit. We’re running about 10/12 days behind atm but new guy starts on 16th and we should start catching up then. I had a van die about 6 weeks ago and it took two weeks to get a new one so that hasn’t helped.

But I still “sweat the small stuff”, for example I had someone off this week and instead of thinking about how brilliantly it’s all going really I was stressing about getting further behind and getting down.

Rogue Trader

« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2018, 08:46:20 pm »
Hi John. They are decent turnover figures. So u reckon u turnover approx £90k per van. I assume that's a 2 man team?

John Mart

« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2018, 05:33:08 am »
Hi John. They are decent turnover figures. So u reckon u turnover approx £90k per van. I assume that's a 2 man team?
One man but it includes VAT.

Stoots

« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2018, 07:13:39 am »
Man I wish I lived down south  :'(
If I didn't have family commitments I'd make the move for sure...

90k a year for a one man van  :o

Makes such a massive difference to R.O.I on these types of things when your average house price is double what we get up north.

dazmond

« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2018, 02:53:30 pm »

Makes such a massive difference to R.O.I on these types of things when your average house price is double what we get up north.

why?do you honestly think 90k is normal for an average window cleaner even down south to earn?i doubt it very much.....and besides everything is much more expensive so your more than likely  no better off anyway......... ;)
price higher/work harder!

Scrimble

« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2018, 03:22:18 pm »

why?do you honestly think 90k is normal for an average window cleaner even down south to earn?i doubt it very much.....and besides everything is much more expensive so your more than likely  no better off anyway......... ;)

90k is not earnings! it is turnover you donut

that is like saying a pizza delivery guy who delivers 30  pizzas a day at £10 each earns £300 per day

John Mart

« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2018, 03:34:14 pm »

Most won't be doing that in a van. One guy local to me and used to be on here is probably doing more than that as he works longer hours and Saturdays. his prices are a little lower than mine, but only 10% or so.

Shrek

« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2018, 03:52:21 pm »
You don’t need to be down south to earn silly money , my average 2 monthly price is around £22 and I’m about 40 minutes away from the Trafford centre in Manchester .
And there’s still Windy’s who are too scared to charge a tenner all over my area

John Mart

« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2018, 04:09:26 pm »
You don’t need to be down south to earn silly money , my average 2 monthly price is around £22 and I’m about 40 minutes away from the Trafford centre in Manchester .
And there’s still Windy’s who are too scared to charge a tenner all over my area
Well that would be my suspicion. There's lots round her charging much less than I do. Some charging more mind you.

dazmond

« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2018, 04:52:27 pm »

90k is not earnings! it is turnover you donut

that is like saying a pizza delivery guy who delivers 30  pizzas a day at £10 each earns £300 per day

even so most will NOT be turning over 90k cleaning windows! ::)roll

dazmond

« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2018, 04:54:21 pm »

still you wont be turning over 90k a year will you? ;D

dazmond

« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2018, 04:57:55 pm »
take holidays/sick days/bad weather etc off 52 weeks and your left with roughly 46 weeks of the year working.you d have to be turning over nearly £2000 EVERY WEEK to hit 90k......

Shrek

« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2018, 05:08:08 pm »

still you wont be turning over 90k a year will you? ;D

Lol no ... not yet  :D

Shrek

« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2018, 05:17:38 pm »
Well that would be my suspicion. There's lots round her charging much less than I do. Some charging more mind you.

People buy people, it’s as simple as that. I would certainly pay a higher price for someone like me to clean my windows than someone in trackies and trainers hanging around my property. 

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2018, 07:54:02 pm »
take holidays/sick days/bad weather etc off 52 weeks and your left with roughly 46 weeks of the year working.you d have to be turning over nearly £2000 EVERY WEEK to hit 90k......

Calm down this is CIU dazmond!! ;D anything is possible here ;D

You can be fully set up wfp with a nice enough van for 5/6/7k. Makes you wonder who would want to be employed when 90k can be achieved so cheaply?
Comfortably Numb!