Crystal-clear

Re: Royal Mail Door to Door
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2018, 08:41:25 pm »
  ;D John just one thing do you think you're jumping the gun by assuming the customers that are saying they want regular will remain regular? how can you be so sure I know as well as you do you get a lot of messers that say one thing changed their mind do the other wish to cancel because Windows remain wet your figures are working that's good but the initial 20-something customers that are regular could just want one clean 2 cleans 3 cleans it's hard to say and they will say yes they want it just to get what for a  first clean how do you deal with that?  I'm sure you have that not that it's a problem because hopefully you are charging more on the first clean
True, they won’t all last. But the new ones will generate other new ones and actually you end up with more. So the week we gained 46, we probably lost 5 that we’d gained over the last 6 months hence why generation of new customers needs to be ongoing.
Ok good response John
One other question though still on topic but not based on figures or profit
 I have leafletted before on a small scale 7500
I cannot remember exactly I think it was about 15 or so jobs obviously it's an amount I can handle but they all wanted times and dates and I find on first cleans rather than clean it get them to pay afterwards you save a lot of problems by just turning up on an appointment for the 1st clean the difference I'll do this time is charge more for a first clean I wasn't doing that back then
My question is when you have so many enquiries coming through the only way you're going to clean them efficiently is by literally putting them on your workload and texting them the night before if that's what you do and clean them whether there in or out is that what you do? Or will you entertain customers that want to be in that want it before certain time you know I'm not saying there's a problem with those customers I'm just saying there's no way you can logistically handle it
Without it cutting into your profits dramatically you know you're here at 12 and then next door which called you wants it the next day after 3 p.m.

John Mart

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2018, 09:08:28 pm »
  ;D John just one thing do you think you're jumping the gun by assuming the customers that are saying they want regular will remain regular? how can you be so sure I know as well as you do you get a lot of messers that say one thing changed their mind do the other wish to cancel because Windows remain wet your figures are working that's good but the initial 20-something customers that are regular could just want one clean 2 cleans 3 cleans it's hard to say and they will say yes they want it just to get what for a  first clean how do you deal with that?  I'm sure you have that not that it's a problem because hopefully you are charging more on the first clean
True, they won’t all last. But the new ones will generate other new ones and actually you end up with more. So the week we gained 46, we probably lost 5 that we’d gained over the last 6 months hence why generation of new customers needs to be ongoing.
Ok good response John
One other question though still on topic but not based on figures or profit
 I have leafletted before on a small scale 7500
I cannot remember exactly I think it was about 15 or so jobs obviously it's an amount I can handle but they all wanted times and dates and I find on first cleans rather than clean it get them to pay afterwards you save a lot of problems by just turning up on an appointment for the 1st clean the difference I'll do this time is charge more for a first clean I wasn't doing that back then
My question is when you have so many enquiries coming through the only way you're going to clean them efficiently is by literally putting them on your workload and texting them the night before if that's what you do and clean them whether there in or out is that what you do? Or will you entertain customers that want to be in that want it before certain time you know I'm not saying there's a problem with those customers I'm just saying there's no way you can logistically handle it
Without it cutting into your profits dramatically you know you're here at 12 and then next door which called you wants it the next day after 3 p.m.
In general they are done only when we're nearby, but they might not be in their long term slot if we aren't in their road doing the others for another 7 weeks. I try to get them sooner rather than later and then I'll let them slip until they are in their correct slot. It's been especially tricky the last two weeks as one van was off the road but it's back on Monday so we're about a week behind too atm.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2018, 09:20:28 pm »
Cool what happens if you only want to work in your local area let's say there's 50000 properties do you just keep re leafleting that area ?

John Mart

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2018, 07:08:13 am »
Cool what happens if you only want to work in your local area let's say there's 50000 properties do you just keep re leafleting that area ?
Yes. Two years ago I expanded to Tadley. The first drop brought in 5 customers, but with three further drops we now have 60. It just gathers a momentum.

John Mart

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2018, 09:03:24 am »
Oh, I messed up again. Week 2 Royal Mail is this week, not last.  ::)roll

We've got 40,000 going out over the next 5 weeks booked, plus we've got another 20,000 to book. Then I will probably repeat the whole lot at the end of August, but not fully decided just yet.

Go

« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2018, 09:37:16 am »
At least you didn’t have to drive 200 mile round trip to drop your boxes off!
We’re still getting work from leaflets we dropped in 2016!
Retention rate is far better than canvassed work.

John Mart

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2018, 09:42:50 am »
About 30 miles to Swindon. Culture shock!  ;D

John Mart

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2018, 09:43:40 am »
What percentage did you convert? Did you monitor?

andyM

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2018, 09:45:07 am »
I've had phone calls from leaflets I dropped 6 or 7 years ago.
Strange but true.
One of the Plebs

Crystal-clear

« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2018, 10:56:13 am »
Yes. Two years ago I expanded to Tadley. The first drop brought in 5 customers, but with three further drops we now have 60. It just gathers a momentum.

How long would you leave it before really putting the area let's assume you only want one area and it has 50000 houses let's say you reflected that over four months would you just start from scratch again and continue to bombard or would you assume that they've had that leaflet and if they haven't called you that they ain't  interested

John Mart

« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2018, 01:57:21 pm »

How long would you leave it before really putting the area let's assume you only want one area and it has 50000 houses let's say you reflected that over four months would you just start from scratch again and continue to bombard or would you assume that they've had that leaflet and if they haven't called you that they ain't  interested
In the past we've managed two drops a year. I think though that the return may not be different if 3 or 4 times a year? There are a few variables for example the leaflet may not get seen the first time because the husband binned it! Or a wc just stopped etc.

Go

« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2018, 02:03:51 pm »
What percentage did you convert? Did you monitor?
I didn’t monitor. Broke even in a couple of months. A couple of jobs were 4 figures which helped. (Solar pv on poultry sheds).
I’d definitely do it again but we’re toooo busy. Need to rent a unit for more growth.

John Mart

« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2018, 07:03:55 pm »
Just an update.

I messed up an order, so this week our second mailshot went out. Around 10,000 again. We've got three further booked and two yet to book.

From the 20,000 or so delivered we've got to date we've got 48 from the Royal Mail side, but through all "channels" we've picked up around 130. Tiny compared to Lee Pryor's efforts, but we only picked up 200 or so in the whole of 2017 so 130 in 4 weeks is massive really. Another 100 and the third van is full. I've already hired a third full time window cleaner to start on 16th July. And I come off the tools!  ;D

johnwillan

« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2018, 07:13:36 pm »
Well done John 👍

Shrek

« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2018, 07:18:41 pm »
Awesome , well done

John Mart

« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2018, 02:16:47 pm »
Sooo, from around 30,000 dropped we've got 71 so far. Armed with this data I realise it's probably going to be around .3% return. We've got 2 more adhoc bookings of around 10,000 and we've just confirmed 75,000 over 8 weeks as a single order. Piecemeal was getting complicated. So we ought to get 375 out of the exercise. We've still got our regular leafleters out so hoping for about 550 over the summer. So far we're at about 220.  Probably each customer will cost about £23. Less than an average clean for us so actually pretty good value - especially compared to canvassers.

Lee Pryor

« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2018, 04:04:21 pm »
did you mean 0.3%? as 3% from your 30k would be 900? If thats the case then please show me where im going wrong because that would be the best result I have ever seen from a drop that size!
The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Don Kee

« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2018, 04:29:19 pm »
did you mean 0.3%? as 3% from your 30k would be 900? If thats the case then please show me where im going wrong because that would be the best result I have ever seen from a drop that size!

I’m pretty sure that’s a decimal place infront of the “3” mate

Lee Pryor

« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2018, 05:16:32 pm »
didnt see it. yes your right. 
The best way to predict the future is to create it.

John Mart

« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2018, 06:04:55 pm »
Yes. 0.3%.