www.mrgutters.co.uk

just started
« on: February 01, 2005, 02:57:24 pm »
hi there everyone

i have just started window cleaning been doing it for bout 2 months then got married went on honeymoon ..etc and things seem a bit slow i dont have loads of work .. about £200 a month i live in sunbury middlesex.. and have noticed loads of window cleaners around i am just wondering whats the best way of canvassing new work ... plus a few of my customers are like can you come when im home or between 5 00 - 5 30 or 12 - 1 etc and i landed up running round after them ... and not making much money im starting to loose hope ... i was given a round by someone but it hasnt been done for 6 months and i have found it hard to get payment off people and also i dont know any of themor never met them ...

any advice

;D
If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

Central Window Cleaners

Re: just started
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 03:19:49 pm »
I would start by visiting each customer and introduce yourself, explain you have taken over the round and ask if they are still interested in you cleaning their windows. As it has been six months since they were cleaned they may have already found a new of cleaner.

Good luck I know how it feels we have just taken over a very big round in the Midlands and the collecting is the hardest part of all.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 05:39:03 pm »
Hi Shawn, you may feel the need to run around after them at first especially as you're onlly making £200 a month. But you need to be a "Cat" not a "Dog"!

Dogs have owners - Cats have staff - you've got to train them not the other way round.

I suggest you dress smartly and canvass around all your regular customers and build up "clusters" of clients within walking distance of each other. Leave a card/leaflet with everyone you speak to then when they get used to seeing you around they've a number to contact.

I never collect - I leave a slip with my name and address on it and ask them to send a cheque. This means they don't have to be in when you call. (but you may need to get them to leave their gates unlocked by phoning them the night before)

Don't give anyone else a promise that you will be there at a certain time unless it suits you.

Try to get one or two in each area who don't mind you calling at say 8 am - it gets you out of bed and working earlier.

I'll think of more later - this is just some basic off the cuff stuff.

Welcome to the world of vision technicians!  ;D
It's a game of three halves!

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 08:18:30 pm »
I agree with MalcG, however when you first start, and cash is tight (particularly when you first get married); you've got to get out and collect it.  I normally do a collection on a Wednesday and Friday - between 6 and 8 pm and another (sometimes on a Saturday morning - if I leave my shops till then.

I have ready made printed out 'chits' I push through their letter box evertime I go to collect.  The first says I've been and will call back on 'Friday', if you're not going to be in, leave the money hidden under an object on your doorstep.  When I call for the second time, and they're not in and no money is left, I leave a 'I will add it onto next month' chit.  I only call twice.

Don't give people times, even if they ask.  Don't tell them when your due back either - just give them a general estimation and explain it's weather dependant.

Once you've established your round you can be more 'hard nosed' with your customers as you're not so bothered whether you lose them or not.

As for cleaning early - if I do it - I start with those houses that if I upset the customer (because they're still in bed) - I don't care, because I'm not bothered if I lose them anyway.  No-one has yet complained!

Your first year will be the hardest.  The second year is slightly easier.  Ask me after Feb and I'll tell you what the third year is like!  This is not a job for someone who gives up easily!

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 09:49:52 am »
hi guys thanks

the advice is good .. i did think it would be all easy earning loads at first .. but it aint ..i do enjoy it though and like you say it should pick up the first year is the hardest . :P i will act on all the advice given ... cheers guys ..

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 03:04:27 pm »
hi all

how you guys been

i took you advice and went to all the customers on the books .. since i had started the round before i got married and did it for two weeks in december so i needed to chat to them again .. but in the mean time a company has moved in
called (...) cleaning services and are telling people they will be round in march to start and will do the fronts every month and the whole house every 2 months and so some i the houses ive paid for have gone to this other company ..

im lucky arent i !!!

;D ;D ???

Customers4u

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 03:39:56 pm »
best way to recover lost custom is to call on people door to door, best places for this are obviously brand new housing estates as it is incredible how many customers you can sign up in these areas in one night alone.

Have a leaflet prepared so that any house that is out, are still able to contact u

I use the pitch ' hello there do you have a window cleaner at the moment'  they will either say yes or no obviously, if they say no i just reply would u like one? and it all just flows from there.

Paul ;) ;)
Window cleaning rounds built to your exact requirements

Crystal Cleaning Services

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2005, 04:19:25 pm »
HI Shawn,

I thought I would stick my twopenith in aswell ;D

We started last March (2004) had a good start with the first area that we did in Shropshire. We slowly built it up from there. We had problems with our vehicle being stolen which meant we didnt work for about 6 weeks during August & September. Our saving grace was the fact that we wrote to all our customers and explained the situation. Thankfully they all appreciated being kept informed and we didn't loose one customer through it. Always try and keep your customers informed. We also tell them each month the approximate date we will be there the next month.

We are now just heading into our second year, we are getting there, but its still a struggle. There are three of us, so we need to go at it to keep up the income.

We use a series of different leaflets. One for canvassing, one to say we have called and when will be calling back for payment and a third one that says "sorry we missed you" and requesting they send a cheque. At least it saves keep going back to collect. I will upload them to the download page shortly.

Try to diversify aswell. We do window cleaning, clean guttering, fascia boards, conservatory roofs and jet wash patios/paths etc. It all helps at the end of the day.

It is all worth it in the end, I have always wanted to work for myself, and at long last I am. Although it has been a tough year, I wouldnt change it for the world, so my advice is just stick to it and keep it up. Good Luck.

Scott
C C S

Scott Lacey
West Midlands
www.ineedawindowcleaner.co.uk

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2005, 07:06:29 pm »
I have ready made printed out 'chits' I push through their letter box evertime I go to collect.  The first says I've been and will call back on 'Friday', if you're not going to be in, leave the money hidden under an object on your doorstep.  When I call for the second time, and they're not in and no money is left, I leave a 'I will add it onto next month' chit.  I only call twice.

Wow !
I've trained mine to post a cheque if they are not in on the day. Hardly ever collect.
I'm blessed

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2005, 12:48:17 pm »
hi all

just quoted on a house this morning 11 windows in the front of the house 2 sets of french doors at the back but 8 windows i charged her £24 she was like no way am i paying you that iton takes the last bloke 1 1/2 hr and he charged £12 ..plus they are all those windows with the small paynes.....some people ..

whats this world coming too...

shawn

anyone else with tight customers (or am i exspensive)
 ;D :D ;D ;D ;D ??? :-X ;D ;D

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005, 01:20:58 pm »
Well I know what you mean about tight customers. I must admit, we are quite lucky in the fact that our other partner is very good with the customers, he could sell ice to the eskimos..lol I cringe sometimes at the prices he quotes, and apart from a few, we have got every one!
Mind you, we have just dropped a customer. it was a biggish house, had about 12 windows in total which we quoted £17.50 for and a big conservatory out the back, which we quoted another £10 for. He was happy with that, after we had done it for the first time, he rang to say that the last window cleaner charged him £18 for the windows and £10 for the conservatory which included cleaning the roof every time! So he cancelled his other window cleaner because we were 50p cheaper! :o
He wasn't so happy when we advised him that if he wanted the roof doing it would be charged at £30 per hour.  ;)

Having said that, we have just taken on a farmhouse out in the sticks, total of 8 windows inside and out for £25.  ;D
So there really is no telling what these customers are like..

Scott
Scott Lacey
West Midlands
www.ineedawindowcleaner.co.uk