splodge_99

Yet another newbie !!!
« on: September 19, 2004, 05:08:54 am »
Hi All  ;)

About to  start out in the Swindon area and will soon be putting flyers through doors (and calling  :-/ )and don't want to get tagged as a round robber !!

Two things have inspired me:

1) Living here 5 years and never been called or leafleted for window cleaning !
2) The advice and support on this board !

Anyway my question is !! although getting lots of support from friends and family, they all say this is the wrong time of year to start ? ok the weather aint to great but surely that makes the windows even dirtier ! whats your experiences ?

Sorry for the late / early posting but currently work til midnight ! roll on 1st  October when they can shove their darned job  ;D

Steve :D

It's a rat trap Billy - But we got out !!!

Philip Hanson

Re: Yet another newbie !!!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 12:50:31 pm »
Hello Steve and welcome to the forum.

I'm sure you will find much in the way of help and good advice from some very experienced window cleaners here, as well as some tips from those who have not been in business long themselves.

although getting lots of support from friends and family, they all say this is the wrong time of year to start ? ok the weather aint to great but surely that makes the windows even dirtier ! whats your experiences ?

Starting in the winter-time or autumn has some distinct advantages.  In the warmer months, there tend to be a number of window cleaners that spring up only  for a few months.  As soon as the weather gets colder, they pack up and do something else, perhaps only returning again the next summer.

This means that if you canvass in the colder weather, not only will you have less competition to worry about, but there will be greater demand too.

Though, having said that, demand for window cleaners has always been good, and is likely to continue that way.

The main thing to remember is to PRICE HIGH.  I live not far from you (Bristol) and I can tell you that you should be aiming for a very minimum of £20 per hour with residential work.

There is great temptation to price low to attract customers, that is commonly made mistake.  A high price gives an implication of quality, and everyone regrets pricing too low eventually.

Dress smartly, be polite, do not swear in front of customers, do not smoke while working and be clean shaven, and you should have no problem building up a quality round that supports you well, and gives you the freedom of being your own boss.

I hope it works out well for you, and keep us posted here on your progress.

-Philip
Editor, Professional Window Cleaner Magazine

"The irony of the information age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion"
John Lawton

John Walker

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 05:31:15 pm »

good luck mate

Hope to be following in your footsteps soon - don't worry - not in your area  ;)

Cheers
BaxWalker Window Cleaning

splodge_99

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 07:11:03 pm »
Thanks Philip and John  ;)

As you say, being professional and offering high customer service go along way !

Buying all my kit this week, any tips ? I hope to purchase all online

Thanks in advance,

Steve :)

windakleena1

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2004, 10:05:42 pm »
I can only endorse what the chap said from Bristol, i come from north Bristol and started off roughly this time of year, that was aprox 5 years ago and i havent looked back since , i was " on the knock"  every evening and i wouldnt go home until i had 5 guaranteed customers per night. If you are any good you will soon get known.
As for buying equipment go to www.wintecs.co.uk,
order before 12.00 and delivery is guaranteed next day!
Hope this helps. ;)

Gordon_Taylor

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2004, 11:28:42 pm »
Personally I find that I pick more work in the winter than in the summer because all the seasonal cleaners can't handle the cold damp mornings, if you are a regular window cleaner, i.e. every 4 weeks on the dot, then peolple will have you forever no matter what time of year it is.

All the best.

Gordon Taylor
Quality is doing it right, even when no-one is looking.

splodge_99

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2004, 01:02:15 am »
Posted letter this evening with regards to shoving said job and their 4 weeks notice  ;D

Windows here I come  :P

Ordered kit from Express this morning, got ladders this afternoon and just finished sorting flyers  :)

Watch out Swindon here I come !!!! wish me luck :-/

WavieDavie

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2004, 02:54:06 am »
Well done to you Steve!

Just go for it and ask anything you want on the boards. It would be good if you filled in your signature and profile, check over the "Welcome Message" post which should be at the top of the list of posts on this board for some additional help.

wish me luck
Get out of here! Luck's got nothing to do with it - get stuck in, you'll be up to speed in no time with all the hints and tips from the boards and you'll be fending off work before you know it!

Well, OK - best of luck, and I'm sure that everything you wish for, for you and yours, will come through in spades.

Get Stuck In !!
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

splodge_99

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2004, 08:13:31 pm »
Hi all !

Quick update !

Started this thurs & Fri with 5 calls to friends, then did a bit of knocking and got 5 more  :)
Finished friday with more knocking and got nought  :-[

Talk about the highs and the lows  ???

Anyway went out for 2 hours this morning knocking and got 13  ;)

Biggest problem is that the majourity that answer say they already got someone (usually the same one  >:( ) and he's cheaper than we quote or would want to quote. So we just gotta knock EVERY door !

Any more help greatfully received, will post back an update

jakeandmia

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2004, 12:48:08 pm »
Hi
Been doing this now for 5yrs and was in the same boat as you are.I started in november and was told if you can stick at it until march youll be fine.As of previous posts stated youll probably pick up more work during winter mths cos the fair weather cleaners have hibernated.To begin with you will be thinking about pricing low just to get work but i can assure you this doesnt work .Go in with decent prices and remember if they want you theyll pay it.
Good luck

Wayne

pete fearn

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2004, 09:12:31 pm »
Hi Steve
   I have just started window cleaning just down the road from you in Cirencester, Put out 200 flyers and work is comimg in, more flyers going out at weekend.
Just keep going and you will get there.
If i get any inquires for Swindon i will pass them on as i am heading the other way to Cheltenham
Pete's Window cleaning

splodge_99

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2004, 10:27:04 pm »
Hi Pete

Cheers for that as we're looking at a doing a few villages between here and Ciren.

Anyway quick update after 1 week as a W/C  ;)

Got grand total of 35 customers all on a 4 week cycle and all appear happy with our work  :-* we've only covered about a quarter of the village so should do well when we go knocking again this weekend  ;D

Just as important though I'm enjoying the work, meeting people and getting new customers, though the weather has been kind this week  ::)

Steve

splodge_99

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2004, 09:46:45 pm »
Quick update for those other newbies / wannabies  ;)

Finished last week with only 13 new customers (all on 4 week return though  ;) ) and 100 quid down on target, but did get rained off for 2 days  :'(

Went knocking for 2 hours yesterday and got another 13 to start this week with, so now got a grand total 61, with just one small area of the village left to knock.

So anyone fearful of knocking don't be ! you meet mostly nice people even the ones that say no ! and you get business (all the no answers had a flyer left and guess how many called back ? a big fat ZERO so far  :o

'til next week !

splodge_99

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2004, 08:38:43 pm »
Yet another (but late!) update for those other newbies / wannabies  ::)

We're now doing call backs (after a week off - half term !) and have grand total of 76 regular customers all in the village and all on 4 week cycle, which we're really pleased about  ;)

Some things we're finding out is:

- Spend the time doing a good clean first time and not only are punters happy but the 2nd clean is a lot easier  ;D
- Get a stand off, it has made all the tricky ones a lot easier and a ladder stopper has to be a ladder users best mate :)
- If customer out leave a stamped addressed enveloped with bill, done this from day one and customers love it, plus no non/late payers ;)
- Use the right equipment for the right job, small squeege for small windows saves ages of scrimming !

Anyway still loving it, having a laugh, but still got one week of no work  :( me thinks I'll be knocking on Saturday  :-\

Good luck other newbies its worth it in the end ! says he with 5 weeks experience :-\

-

gaza

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2004, 09:55:46 pm »
FROM SMALL ACORNS GROW
YOUVE SAID IT NICE TO HERE SOMEONES GOT ON THEIR BIKE WELCOME TO THE WERES THERES MUCK THERES MONEY CLUB,A GOOD WINDOW CLEANER IS WORTH HIS WEIGHT IN GOLD A CUSTOMER ONCE TOLD ME WHEN I FIRST STARTED,THIS SAYING HAS STUCK WITH ME THIS YEAR WITH THE BAD SUMMER WE HAD,SO NEXT YEAR BRING IT ON,NOW AT THE END OF MY THIRD YEAR,IM READY TO TAKE SOMEONE ON,BOUGHT A NEWISH TRANSIT A WFP SYSTEM,POWER WASHER, GENY ALL CASH,WHEN I BOUGHT MY WATER FED POLE SYSTEM I WALKED INTO THEIR OFFICE, WHEN ASKED HOW I WAS PAYING 4 IT? IT GAVE ME GREAT PLEASURE IN DUMPING 1000S OF POUNDS ON THE TABLE SAYING, WILL CASH DO? NOW IM NOT THE BRIGHTEST SPARK IN THE FIRE ,SO WITH PLANNING, SETTING GOALS HARD GRAFT THE WORLDS YOUR OYSTER YOU LITTLE GO GETTER
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO