Ascot carpet cleaning

Tile identification
« on: May 13, 2016, 06:57:51 pm »
Hi
I only have experience in cleaning Altro safety flooring and vinyl at the school's I have contracts at. I have stripped and polished a few times but only on vinyl tiles. But been asked to clean these but have no idea what they are? Should I clean or stay away if troublesome. They are in a coffee shop and she says 50 years old. They are not too bad so just thinking a rotary and brush with a mild cleaner. I do normally use selden strongarm but not sure if suitable for this. She says they look dull I've suggested a sealer/enhancer but guess then it would need to a maintenance plan in place.
Any advice appreciated.

Mike Gwilliam

Re: Tile identification
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 07:16:33 pm »
They look to me like the old Marley type tiles or perhaps Lino. I don't have much experience with them other than doing a test patch on this type of tile last year, floor stripper with a black pad, poly brush and a few coats of polish and they came up fine.
The ones I did were red and some of the colour  bled from the floor probably because they were of a similar age to those above.

Apparently this type of tile may have asbestos on the backing so I would look into that if you do the job.

Ascot carpet cleaning

Re: Tile identification
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 09:42:28 pm »
Ok. Thanks for the heads up.