Tony Stewart

Karndean floor in an Indian Restaurant
« on: April 16, 2013, 08:57:03 am »
I am cleaning the entrance hall with my truckmount for an Indian Restaurant.
He has asked me to see if I can clean the rest of the restaurant which he says is a Karndean vinyl floor. It looks like a dark oak wood flooring and he says that the fake wood plank joins are getting full of grease as all they do is mop it.
The area is approx 217 sq metres. The bar/sitting area is a white fleck Karndean flooring.

Can anyone advise me of the following.
1. What chemicals to clean/strip it with - I have a rotary with a solution tank and say a red pad?
2. I have a SX12 spinner I could use on say 500 to 700 to rinse off or heat clean.
3. I have a portable if needs be to suck up the slurry.
4. He wants a shiny non slip finish as a sealer I presume. Not being funny but it's an upmarket Indian Restaurant but like all restauranteurs he probably will not want a maintenance clean as he wanted to try and negotiate the truck mount clean (well halfheartedly!).
5. Just a bit worried that if I put down a sealer I need to keep a wet edge and with tables and chairs in the way it's not as though I can get at the whole floor space with one clean. So any tips as to a working practice.
6. Has 20 stairs to do also. I have a minitex with as red pad. What is best to clean the white industrial nosing of the stairs?
7. How long will the sealer last - just so I can tell him.
8. He wants me in at 10.30 am but needs to reopen at 5.00. 2 man job?
9. Any idea of price on this one.
Sorry about the long post but it's the fact that it is an Indian Restaurant that is probably minging round the kitchen area!
Thanks a lot
Tony
Starts at the bottom likes it and stays there

Jamie Pearson

Re: Karndean floor in an Indian Restaurant
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 09:00:56 pm »
Use power burst or enzall. Hit it with the sx12 after a good scrub with a brush. If it has old finish on it try Chemspec high power stripper. I would finish it with Tight Shine which is a urethane fortified floor finish with good gloss level and slip resistant standards. If they mop it with neutral cleaner and buff periodically they might get a year out of it. I would recommend they get it cleaned and coated every 6 months.

Jamie Pearson

Re: Karndean floor in an Indian Restaurant
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 09:02:39 pm »
You will be able to scrub a section polish 2/3rds of that with a frog tape line along one of the "planks" move everything and do same. Low tack tape won't remove the polish.
Tigh Shine dries in under 15 mins so a good few coats can go down I a short time. A must for a job with that kind of window.