Timmy Boy

Strip and seal limestone flooring
« on: February 22, 2013, 05:57:43 pm »
Evening all
Looking to quote a job next week to strip and seal some limestone in a kitchen and a bathroom. Haven't stripped and sealed limestone before, any recommendations on a suitable stripper and a seal.
This job could lead to other work for the guy so I am keen to make a good impression.
Many thanks
Tim

Jason Smith

Re: Strip and seal limestone flooring
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 08:08:54 pm »
Hi Timmy, do you know what type of sealer has been applied to the limestone, is the sealer a topical coating or penetrating sealer? Also, what is the finish of the limestone, honed, tumbled, brushed etc? Also what type of finish is your customer expecting, knowing this information will help to offer you the correct chemicals and processes required to complete the job.
Finally, what type of machinery do you have to support this type of project?
Jason Smith - Business Manager

Timmy Boy

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 08:09:41 am »
Hi Jason
I will find all this information out on Monday. The actual finish will be obviously the customers decision. I would say that it will be a topical seal as the barn conversion is not that old an he is already looking to reseal it but again I will find out on Monday. He is not looking for anything more than a clean and seal though so equipment wise I should be ok with my rotary and wet pick up unless someone is going to tell me otherwise. I have had several enquiries now for this sort of work and I have always turned it away but if this goes well I hope to get on some courses.
Many thanks

B Bailey

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 10:15:42 am »
I would get on a course anyway, if I were you.

SteveAllan

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 11:11:48 am »
Agree, I wouldn't put a topical seal on limestone mate.

Timmy Boy

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 12:04:23 pm »
That's what I'm saying Steve, the barn conversion was only done a year or 2 ago so sounds like someone has used either a topical seal or have really treated the floor badly over the past 2 yrs!

Jason Smith

Re: Strip and seal limestone flooring New
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 01:30:50 pm »
Steve could be right, if the limestone is honed then a topical sealer isn't ideal, they can be quite difficult to apply perfectly without application marks and they need stripping & reapplying every few years.
Jason Smith - Business Manager