D4ch0l

CRB ckeck
« on: September 30, 2013, 05:40:21 pm »
Hi guys,

I am new to employing people. I know it is recommended to do DBS check (previously called CRB), therefore I would like to ask you to give me some advice, maybe some websites clearly explaining how to do it, etc. Do I have to pay anything to do DBS check on someone? Can I do it online?

Many Thanks,
Adam

pristineclean

Re: CRB ckeck
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 03:40:52 pm »
https://www.gov.uk/find-dbs-umbrella-body

It's a divided subject, though - I only carry out checks where this requirement is imposed by contract or a particular feature of the working environment. It's my opinion only, and many people differ, but a criminal record doesn't necessarily imply dishonesty and absence of a criminal record doesn't necessarily imply honesty. I was astonished, and a little bit saddened, to learn that some companies even carry out credit checks on employees, the apparent principle being that if you can't pay your credit card bill then you'll steal a client's computer.

D4ch0l

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 04:24:57 pm »
Right, so it is not something I have to do every time when I employ someone. Good to know

Thank you for your help.

Adam

Rosemary Bolton

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 06:22:54 pm »
I just ask them to declare unspent criminal convictions (although I guess if they are a criminal they will probably lie about this). I only DBS check at specific request of client (eg childrens nursery) and I make the client cover the cost of this.

D4ch0l

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 07:16:27 am »
Thanks Rosemary, that makes sense, and brights things up.

Regards,
Adam

D4ch0l

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 04:53:37 pm »
Hi guys,

Just a quick question regarding CRB checks again. Let say you just got a new contract at school and they need let's say 5 cleaners. As it is school CRB checks are certainly necessary. In that case, do you pay for CRB checks for each employee or is it down to the customer to pay for it?

Many Thanks,
Adam

D4ch0l

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 04:04:32 pm »
Anyone, please?

Thanks,
Adam

dustee

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 09:32:29 pm »
you have to pay   

angela stone

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 10:00:11 pm »
You could get the cleaner to pay for the dbs check before they start and then if they are still with you after 3 months you could reimburse them.  This agreement could form part of their contract with you.

That way you find out if they are serious about taking the job and hopefully means they stay with you for a while. If they leave before 3 months then at least it isn't another cost you have to incur.

We work for a lot of children's nurseries and they all work like that.

Gerard Grindley

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 01:17:34 pm »
unless the law has changed you are only aloud to do crb checks on people that are going to be working with children or vunerable adults, if you do do a crb check you have to get the persons permission, if you don't you are implying that they are guilty of a crime tis is what I was told when I enquired about it   

angela stone

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 08:25:28 pm »
we only do them if the client has specifically asked them to have one done.  Even though, as a rule, we go in after the children have left for the day, sometimes the nursery requires the dbs check due to information / pictures of children being on display.

I have some nurseries have said it's not a requirement, I have others who insist on it.

Dianes cleaning se

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 12:30:09 pm »
Morning All, As I am a domestic cleaner and I put staff into clients homes, I do have a CRB check done, which I pay for if the member of staff leaves before 6 months I take the cost back out of there final pay (£25 at the moment) which they know about, I know it not a 100% to say your staff are honest, but its the best I can do to reasure the clients and the familys and  older folk we go to, that I have done my best to provide staff that are trustworthy as this is a trust worthy business, it just means they have not been cought YET, on the hole people are honest, its better to have something then nothing,
Best Regards Diane (personal view)   

D4ch0l

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 08:29:45 pm »
Thanks guys for all the info. I think it resolves all my doubts now. Can I just ask you Diane, who you use for DBS checks and where about you are?

Regards,
Adam

D4ch0l

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 04:55:20 pm »
Hi,

How much do you pay for a single enhanced check and for organization registration? Can you recommend any umbrella body, please?
I am in Lincolnshire

Thanks,
Adam

Hilton

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 10:56:49 am »
Do it through the Scottish DBS,the English one is useless. and not fit for purpose

Tony Hodgkinson

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 06:14:30 pm »
The way many companies get round this is to ask the new employee to provide the crb/DBS and you and then reimburse the charge.
Mr Tony Hodgkinson
Hodgkinson Cleaning Services
E: info@hcs-cheshire.co.uk
W: www.hcs-cheshire.co.uk
Twitter: @hcscheshire

Tina AW

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 08:19:35 pm »
Hi All,

I am new to this forum but have been running my domestic cleaning business for nearly a year now.

My staff are all self employed so they pay the cost of the DBS, I use an online company( I think they are called UCheck) which you pay a yearly fee I think of £25 to use them and then when you complete the DBS check for each person they pay by card at the end.  It is very easy to use, you check all their documents are in order, but this is simple they provide a list for you of documents etc.  The DBS costs about £52.95, this is cheaper than using a company that does it all for you, they were quoting about £80.  If you are a large company completing a lot then it gets cheaper.

The DBS comes back usually very quick I've had some reports the next day to say all clear, I use that to then implement the start date, the cleaner then lets me copy the full DBS when it comes through.  I also get all of the cleaners to register on the new government site I think its called update service, where they pay another £13 and then each year they take another £13 and you can log in and check it is all still clear from when the original was requested, this is ideal for anyone self employed as it means anyone can log in and check them before offering them work.

I personally would not recommend anyone without having a DBS check, I vet all my cleaners as thoroughly as I can to give our clients peace of mind as far as I can.  I think it depends on where they will be cleaning as to whether you need one or not, if it is in clients own homes then I feel its a must.  I had one person contact me for work who put nothing on their application about any criminal convictions, it wasn;t until I mentioned they would have to have a DBS that they they told me they had been in prison for GBH, not ideal candidate to work with the elderly or vulnerable clients.

What does anyone else think?

Jamie walker

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2015, 12:52:35 am »
I agree Tina. I know if I was hiring a cleaner, I would like to know some steps had been taken by the company to vet employees. I do the same myself for my cleaners. :)

amayze

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 10:27:54 pm »
Wow that's expensive - we currently pay £26 + £8 admin fee  through Charity Backroom

D4ch0l

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 10:08:25 pm »
Wow that's expensive - we currently pay £26 + £8 admin fee  through Charity Backroom
That is probably for a standard one.  I think Tina was talking about enhanced.