chopsie

Buying double glazed panes
« on: March 30, 2018, 09:53:03 am »
Hi all, where would you buy double glazed panes? I thought screwfix would do them but can’t see any on their website. I want to replace a couple of my own and maybe offer it as a service to customers. Thanks
chopsie

Slacky

Re: Buying double glazed panes
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 10:07:47 am »
A glazier, believe it or not.

alank

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 10:16:34 am »
Chopsie just Google local double glazed unit suppliers call to their manufacturing unit with your sizes etc and I'm sure they will sort it for you ;D

chopsie

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 10:41:58 am »
Obviously I can as a double glazing company. But I have had nothing but crap off them with their lies and salesmen. So I was hoping to avoid dealing with them and go direct to a suppplier maybe.
chopsie

alank

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 10:54:06 am »
That's what I meant chopsie go straight to the manufacturing unit not the installation company ;D

Perfect Windows

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 12:47:33 pm »
Obviously I can as a double glazing company. But I have had nothing but crap off them with their lies and salesmen. So I was hoping to avoid dealing with them and go direct to a suppplier maybe.

Go to a glass merchant. They'll make up the units at (in my experience) around 30%-50% of the cost a dedicated double glazing company will charge.  They'll need three horizontal dimensions (top, middle, bottom), three vertical along with the depth of the unit being replaced. Don't assume they are properly square. You'll need to be careful how you mount them as well, so there's space for expansion and that they are adequately supported. And you'll need to extend your liability insurance to cover. And keep some of the money aside in case there's a problem with any unit  you fit. In short, you'll need to become an expert in double glazing repairs.

Or just find a glazier you feel you can trust and recommend them to your customers.

Vin

chopsie

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 04:25:35 pm »
Cheers Vin,

I’ll probably just do my own then lol.
chopsie

Michael Peterson

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 04:49:14 pm »
 Nice to see you posting your ever helpful comments again vin I remember calling you soon after you reached 1000 customers asking for advice and you were extremely helpful to me,

paul alan

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 09:03:18 pm »
Cheers Vin,

I’ll probably just do my own then lol.

My friend its easy on some windows, not all.

I have done these for friends and family.

You need to measure height and width, then thickness. You need to test if the glass is low emission(anything after 2002 will be) if the glass is less than 800mm off the floor it needs to be toughened.

There are 4 different types of beading that sometimes can be a real pita if you get the older ones but the newer ones(internal glazing ) are a doddle.

If you need any help just hit me up.