richy27

Re: Your biggest mistake
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 08:59:05 am »
I started with a porty and moved on to a tm nearly a year ago. a number of factors need to be taken into account

van size
servicing costs
etc etc

on the plus side you can work faster and do larger jobs with ease, no more worries about power supply, water, drainage.

def more positives than neg.

I was very lucky that i was in the right place at the right time to get a very low hours tm at a very good price and it was always my plan to get a tm down the line so start collecting the bits and bobs needed so when i invested in my business its was easier on the finances.

in a nut shell never looked back

Colin Day

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 09:36:32 am »
suppose you are trying to grab attention. better than turning up with a machine from homebase etc  ;D

It's done me no harm.... ;D ;D ;D

from edge2edge

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 11:00:32 am »
Morning Colin Ive just booked a job to sort out the mess left behind by a rugdoctor the woman hired it and was less than impressed.Regards Alan(swindon)

garyfindlay

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2010, 04:53:57 pm »
No doubt the carpet looks like blackpool beach, and matted with soap :o

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2010, 06:44:20 pm »
Getting married

Shaun

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2010, 06:55:31 pm »
Shaun did she tell you to put that ;D
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2010, 07:41:30 pm »
Truckmounts are all well in good if you dont do flats and if there is no parking restrication....

Live in a city like mine and i think you would be regreting buying a trucky. unless your happy with not reaching your full potential.

Colin Day

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2010, 08:34:04 pm »
I could see there being a couple of jobs in my area where a TM wouldn't be suitable, and that would warrant me to keep the porty... But a majority of the jobs could easily be done with a TM!

Horses for courses I suppose.....

Matt Lindus

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2010, 08:35:44 pm »
If my chap could earn more than the cost of a pork pie per week we would have one.
But earning £700 gross per week (average) I don’t see it as a business so he'll have to make do with a plastic Ninja and a couple of buckets! ;) ;D

elliott cleaning

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2010, 09:17:15 pm »
Truckmounts are all well in good if you dont do flats and if there is no parking restrication....

Live in a city like mine and i think you would be regreting buying a trucky. unless your happy with not reaching your full potential.

Tony - Work central London.    Can reach ten floors plus  up without problem - straight up the side of a building.   If you have a t/m there is nearly always a means of getting to where you want.   It's amazing how intuitive & brazen you become if you have a t/m.    I believe it's the fear that portable operators hold of not being able to access jobs that holds them back from taking the step up into truckmounting.

wynne jones

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2010, 09:22:01 pm »
No Elliot it's the money and everything else is an excuse.

It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2010, 09:26:58 pm »
If you tap your missus on the shoulder at night and she says NO do you then go to sleep? try harder!!!

Shaun

elliott cleaning

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2010, 09:29:48 pm »
Shaun
When I tap the missus on the shoulder during the night it is to get her to stop snoring - and then I still can't get to sleep - as she just carries on in the same vain.    How much harder must I try :-\

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2010, 09:39:34 pm »
My missus use 'Stop snoring' from Boots the Chemist, was thinking of replacing it with arsenic :o

Shaun

james roffey

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2010, 09:55:15 pm »
 I believe it's the fear that portable operators hold of not being able to access jobs that holds them back from taking the step up into truckmounting.

If i had the money to invest in one i would :'(

Andrew Briscoe

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2010, 09:58:26 pm »
My tm was off the road for a few week while i got the h/ex fixed.
Used my Scorpion, which was ok, but glad to have the old girl back again.
Soon got sick of loading/unloading, filling and emptying machine and buckets.
More time to chat with custy and have a cuppa.

Andrew

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2010, 12:27:32 am »
Elliott

Fair do's mate. It is a fear of not being able to reach certin jobs.

For example, i had three jobs today. Two of which i was forced to park across the road as the side of the street where the job site was, there was parking for residance only! And the other job i had to park around the corner!

Same thing tomorrow, three jobs. None i'm able to park directly outside, apart from one which is on the third floor of a large tenament building.

Not showing off, but i have the money right now in my business account to buy a Titan and all the gubbins quite comfortably.

jasonl

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2010, 07:37:05 am »
My biggest mistake,,, cleaning that suite in 44 mins ;D ;D
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Colin Day

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2010, 08:24:04 am »
Elliott

Fair do's mate. It is a fear of not being able to reach certin jobs.

For example, i had three jobs today. Two of which i was forced to park across the road as the side of the street where the job site was, there was parking for residance only! And the other job i had to park around the corner!

Same thing tomorrow, three jobs. None i'm able to park directly outside, apart from one which is on the third floor of a large tenament building.

Not showing off, but i have the money right now in my business account to buy a Titan and all the gubbins quite comfortably.

Do it... Go on, I dare you ;D ;D ;D

robert meldrum

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2010, 08:45:52 am »
Talking about accessing flats in cities etc got me thinking. What are the H & S compliance requirements when parking on a street - having two hoses running from a van ( one carrying very hot water at high pressure and the other with enough vacuum power to pull your arm off )

When I pass vans working in such situations they are surrounded by a six foot fence with an enclosed temporary walkway and if there's a danger of anything falling from above they have strong netting to keep falling objects away from the general public.

I've worked 4 floors up with trailing hoses, but only on private land and only when there was no possibility of anyone being injured.
I really can't imagine permission being granted to, or anyone being mad enough to consider doing this on a busy street.

My biggest mistake was being born too soon.