Tony Gill Carpet Smart

POLYPROPYLENE CARPET
« on: August 16, 2007, 10:59:51 pm »
Hi All.
Just quoted for 52sq meters of carpet she asked if i could put a stain guard on so i also quoted for that. When i got home i did a burn test on some fibers it turns out to be polypropylene. I have not cleaned one of these before but it in the back of my mind you dont put stain guard on them is that the case, and is ther any other advice you can give me on cleanig it .
CHEERS TONY.
STAY YOUNG HAVE FUN BE HAPPY xx
www.carpetcleanersbridlington.co.uk

Shaun_Ashmore

Re: POLYPROPYLENE CARPET
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 11:13:27 pm »
Very good pre vac, most polyprops are wiltons (no all) so watch for poor fitting as they can shrink easily.

I strongly recommend Ultrapak Renovate from Prochem, apply then scrub in wait 10 mins and HWE use turbos to enhance drying (needed)

You can't really protect Polyprop as it is a non absorbant product so the protector will 'track off' as people walk on it, the statistic I was given by a Guardsman rep was on average within 2 weeks, if you use a water based protector the added water could cause shrinkage also.

Shaun

lands

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 11:33:59 pm »
Second Shauns comments. in short, polyprop/guard = no real advantage.

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 11:41:09 pm »
Just the prespray nothing in the extraction water ? What about water temp cold / hot /  v hot.
CHEERS TONY

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 02:16:49 pm »
?????????????????? ::) ::)

lands

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 02:21:57 pm »
Tony. You using M/S for prespray or high ph? M/S would say just warm water, high PH would use low to extract just to be safe but spray lightly and use agitation rather than chemical reaction so not too wet. . All that said, the polyprops I have cleaned have been amongst the easiest I have cleaned in fact just charge custy £300 for a thorough hoover. Seriously though, as Shaun says, get quickly.

AquaMagic

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 04:52:46 pm »
Shaun would you say the same with Polyester as its so similar to Polypropalene, i.e no advantage protecting it?, Nylon nowadays comes with a protector (acid resist?) as standard doesnt it?
So best to just protect wool carpets?

Dene

John Kelly

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 05:37:37 pm »
Check the back to see if its a Wilton or Action back. If its an action back you can clean it till the cows come home.
If you can't tell then take a training course as this is basic stuff you should know.

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 07:57:20 pm »
Thanks Shaun & Pete for constructive comments.

Thanks John !!! Yes it is wilton i can tell from the backing yes polyprop i can tell from burn test YES i have done training  but i am still new and all i am asking for is some constructive HELP  advice not answers like you should know, i thought this was part of what the forum was for.

gwrightson

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 08:06:22 pm »
I dont think John was been  mis contructive,
I believe he was trying to help , as he always does , I am sure that perhaps you have misinterpreted his comments, advice to get some training is sound advice for any one who does not know, and to be fair John, your posts origionaly here did suggest that you had not had any :-\  ,and yes this forum is here to help each other , and for any advise  . IMHO  thats what John gave you.
sorry if I sound as if I am Knocking you. I assure you I am not.
Just think you have read something , that is not their.

Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 08:34:44 pm »
Fair comments Geoff i might have. I am still quite green about alot of things BUT i think John would need to answer for himself and if i have misunderstood him i am more than big enough to apologise.

CHEERS TONY

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 08:38:17 pm »
Anyway Geoff lets not stray from my post have you any advice you can give on my post.

CHEERS TONY

gwrightson

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 08:41:16 pm »
I would go along with Shauns suggestions , but i would be using enzall   , with a boost of champion in the tank.

Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

John Kelly

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 09:23:34 pm »
Tony, I wasn't being flippant just realistic.
If it is a Belgian Wilton, are you aware of the shrinkage problems with these. Lots of experienced cleaners wet clean them with no problems. However there is still the odd one which will shrink and an inexperienced cleaner will be more likely to cause this. If you proceed with a wet clean qualify it with the customer first and if possible get them to sign a disclaimer.
As regards stain guarding, there are people who would stain guard their granny for money. It doesn't really offer any benefit on Polyprop although some people will tell you it helps stop abrasion of the fibers. I think it just wipes off as Shaun has said.
There is always good advice on here. I just didn't realise you were one of those sensitive Yorkshiremen :)

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 09:28:26 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ha ha ha OK 6' 6" 22 stone where is it you kike again ;D ;D

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 09:29:12 pm »
correction live again

John Kelly

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 09:38:10 pm »
In the Toon, come up and see me and I'll give you a deal on some chem's ;D

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 10:18:20 pm »
Sensitive Yorkshireman! It's only Dickie Bird that cries!!

Getting back to the post

I am a great believer in heat as long as you know what you are doing with it, dirt just dissolves away but like any fast acting or time saving uses it has it can be dangerous if you do not know what you are doing with it.

Dene Polt Prop is the least absorbant product you can get so polyester can be successfully treated also don't get confused with acid dye blockers they aren't protectors as we know them, they repell some stains but 'protector' also slows down abrassion and aids in repelling soiling, it is a better product.

Some cleaning agents like the dry fusion activator which is a buffing product have soil repellent added in but no acid dye blocker (which is the other side of the coin) but most water based protectors have anti static which is a great benefit if you are protecting man made fibres, and if you are asked to antistatic a carpet i would use protector as I have found that antistatic leaves a white and sticky residue.

Shaun

PS my fingers hurt after all of that!

cleanability

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2007, 12:01:50 am »
Well I wet cleaned Belgian Wiltons/Axminsters for years and had no probs. Then I wet cleaned one which was a small Hall/Stairs/Landing with a upholstery tool only. It shrunk. Cost me £500.
So by all means wet clean a Belgian W/A but put aside some of the money you get for each one you do, coz you will eventually shrink one, then you can buy a new carpet for them.

Chris

prodry

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2007, 12:52:27 am »
Well I wet cleaned Belgian Wiltons/Axminsters for years and had no probs. Then I wet cleaned one which was a small Hall/Stairs/Landing with a upholstery tool only. It shrunk. Cost me £500.
So by all means wet clean a Belgian W/A but put aside some of the money you get for each one you do, coz you will eventually shrink one, then you can buy a new carpet for them.

Chris

A wooven polprop on a small hall/stairs/landing cost you you £500.00? What did you replace it with? Silk? Come on.....