Tony Gill Carpet Smart

GLIDES TEFLON LIPS
« on: April 24, 2007, 12:07:44 am »
Hi all can any of you explain to me what is the differance betwwen glides and teflon lips and why you use them. are they worth buying Cheers Tony
STAY YOUNG HAVE FUN BE HAPPY xx
www.carpetcleanersbridlington.co.uk

David_Annable

Re: GLIDES TEFLON LIPS
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 01:21:39 pm »
NCCA, Woolsafe, IICRC Leather Cleaning Technician

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 01:53:00 pm »
Thanks Dave i hoped i might have got some feedback as to what they are like to use if they are worth buying or not . But out of 98 hits you the are the only one to try and  help. as i am new to it all more advice would be good please guys help a newbie xxxx ::)  ::) ::) ::) Cheers Tony
STAY YOUNG HAVE FUN BE HAPPY xx
www.carpetcleanersbridlington.co.uk

AJB

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 03:05:32 pm »
I've used the lips for about 12 months now,
they work very well, i can't speak about the glides
but cleaning is so much easier now, that i'm 2 stone
heavier since using the lips.
www.ajbcarpetcleaning.co.uk
At the end of the day a Satisfied Customer is all that counts, They'll come back and so will their friends!!!

Phillip Mold

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 03:18:57 pm »
Great, I must try them, to replace the two stone I've lost in my first six months in this business!
Doing the best job in the world as well as I can

Glynn

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 03:41:00 pm »
Lips are NOT the same thing as glides and will not perform like glides, its a cheaper option though.
Regards
Glynn

matt jones

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 04:00:06 pm »
I love mine. I recently bought a glide and they really do make your job easier.
matt

TonyMarti

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 10:30:51 pm »
I bought a glide from Cleansmart-great bit of kit no drag on the  wand, makes life a lot eaiser, I'd reccomend it.
cheers Tony
Servicing the Kingdom of Fife

Phil Marlor

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 10:41:48 pm »
I would rather nail my balls to a tree than use a wand without a Glide with a TM! :o

Phil
Stevenage, Herts

LUTON TOWN 3-0 SUNDERLAND

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 11:26:17 pm »
I can help you there Phil, just say the word and I'll have the hammer at the ready.
Any particular size nails ::)

benny d

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 10:29:32 am »
I can help you there Phil, just say the word and I'll have the hammer at the ready.
Any particular size nails ::)

Extra small  :o
"If i'm not in action, I'm in traction"
Voted 397th best looking carpet cleaner in West Sussex 2015. Up 10 from last year...

fletch

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 11:03:07 pm »
Would I be right in thinking ??? that the obvious reason it is difficult to move your wand is because of the created vacuum from your machine.
 So if you have an attachment on the end of your wand ie;Lips,Glides etc, you must be losing vacuum :o
I would like to know peoples thoughts on this, because personally I think it's just another bit of crap that somebody is making money from, yet again.
DIVIDE & CONQUER

Liahona

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 11:28:19 pm »
Fletch, they actually create more air flow causing more recovery and therefore the carpet will dry quicker.  Especially on commercial carpet where the pile is usually shorter than domestic.  They do work, take a bit of getting use to but they do work.

If you clean oriental rugs with hwe then they are a must as they wont lift the corners or suck up the fringes.

Best, Dave.

fletch

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 11:32:45 pm »
Dave,
How do they create more air flow & and what do you mean with better recovery ???
                                Regards,
                                  Fletch.
DIVIDE & CONQUER

John Kelly

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 11:40:32 pm »
The airflow is directed through the much smaller conical shaped holes on the glide creating a vortex. This causes the available air flow to move faster through the carpet fibres, in turn recovering more solution. Thats the theory anyway.

fletch

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 11:59:05 pm »
I think if your wand has been elevated from the surface you will lose essential vacuum.
I've thought about what you guys have said but it doesn't make any sense to me :-[
I'm sure they would of designed the wand like that in the first place :-\
Anyway Gentlemen, going to bed now.
                                      Adios Amigos,
                                          Fletch.
DIVIDE & CONQUER

matt jones

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2007, 11:28:55 am »
when cleaning something like a polypropylene turfted carpet my glide has worked a treat and job is made easier with the carpet drying quicker also. But i done a wool pile carpet the other day and im sure it took longer to dry using the glide ???
matt
ps As far as im aware airflow helps increase the recovery of water when you have a glide fitted to your wand you can hear the airflow all the time. Maybe the problem with wool carpets is they hold onto much more water then a synthetic so maybe i should of put abit more effort in or made even more dry passes with the wand.

fletch

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2007, 07:23:55 pm »
I've thought about it a long time now, and these Glides will only be making you lose Vacuum-Lift.
To think that you pay for that powerful Truckmount or that High Spec Porty for it's particular performance ,only to pay that extra £30-£70 ::) to take-away it's performance ???
If somebody could explain how they actually dry carpets faster, to me, without repeating the sales pitch which hooked you Guys in the first place, I would be prepared to accept and possibly purchase some.

So theirs the challenge Ive laid down to you all.
                                               Regards,
                                                 Fletch.
DIVIDE & CONQUER

Damian

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2007, 07:36:03 pm »
Fletch-Amen

Damian.
Kids for the ex-missus. The fireblade is my baby!!

Len Gribble

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2007, 08:08:37 pm »
Where can you get lips from? Fewer blockages methinks?

Fletch

Not a tech kind of guy! But will say a lot easier with them than with out, drying times never there long in enough to find out, so not an issue with or with out with me!

Love a challenge I will mach CD TM against any high spec porty

Len

Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

matt jones

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2007, 06:07:04 pm »
Fletch, i will go on what i have read from people on this forum and another forum i go on. One example i think of is how prochem tell you (i say prochem as that is the only training course i have done) to use the wand-dip the wand down as you push it forward and raise it up as you drag it back towards you, this is to increase the amount of airflow thus drying the carpets quicker. Surely you must of been told in the past that if you hold a wand or handtool on a surface so it is completely locked onto that surface with no gap then this wont remove as much moisture as tilting the tool slightly increasing the airflow which creates more suction, i think this is what is refered to as a vortex? I have also been told a similiar explaination from a very experienced guy regarding how the little hunter vacs work so well at removing dustmites etc from mattresses and pillows. My question was simple why buy a little hunter vac when you could use a proper powerful hoover which would surely remove the same and surly more mites etc. I was told the reason for this was because it is less powerful etc etc sorry that was kind of a bad example. But anyway going back to what i was saying when a glide is fitted to your wand you get constant airflow you can here it. It also saves having to bend down so much with the dip & raised wanding method in order to creat this additional airflow. This probably makes no sense so my apologies its kind off hard to explain in writing.
Regards
matt

fletch

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2007, 08:10:10 pm »
Matt,
If you lift the wand from the surface your working on you will lose suction, yes it will increase airflow dragged in from outside the wand and create a vortex.

Example, if you create a seal with your lips over the back of your hand and suck air inwards, you will create a vacuum.
Now try it again slightly lifting your lower lip away from the back of your hand, you will of noticed a loss of vacuum.

Please don't think I sit here all day sucking the back of my hands.
                                 Regards,
                                   Fletch.
DIVIDE & CONQUER

Liahona

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2007, 08:28:46 pm »
fletch, instead of finding every reason you can think of of knocking all the advice  you have asked for, why dont you try them and see for yourself. 

Best, Dave.

P.S. With what you desribe using the back of your hand, you have created air flow by moving your lip.  The vacuum will be the same but with more flow your hand if it was wet would now dry quicker.  Well you know what I mean.

A lot of very experienced cleaners on here have given you an opinion of how good they are yet still you argue not having tried them.  Get one and you wont clean with out one again.

*paul_moss

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2007, 08:44:27 pm »
Fletch

Daves hit the nail on the head. Go and buy one and see.

They did make a difference when I used the glide with my portable, but they made a massive difference with the T/M. I also found the slotted version better thean the holed version.

Matt at cleansmart is knocking them out under half price at the moment £39 :o.

I have just bought a 2 inch wand that wont take a glide so ive just ordered lips for it as its hard to lift off the carpet with the machine on half power.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

fletch

Re: GLIDES TEFLON LIPS New
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2007, 08:57:38 pm »
Dave,
Advice is just advice, whereby on receiving it you make an informed decision and act.
I dont think anybody on here has stated anything that would leave me to think that Glides, would be a good investment.

I've heard enough about the Glides and I'm sure  that they are not for me.
I am not being arguementetive with anyone on here, I was just trying to have a reasonalble debate on the subject.                        
                               Regards,
                                  Fletch.

DIVIDE & CONQUER

Liahona

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2007, 12:51:45 am »
Fare comment but how can you debate on something you havent reied or know about.  Anyway 40 quid isnt a days fuel so it's not that large amount of monies.  I certainly wouldnt suggest it comes under an investment catagory.  Best, Dave...... go on try one, you know you ought too............ the speed of the clean is worth the £40 even if it doesnt work.