The Jester of Wibbly

Why do some put up with this?
« on: December 14, 2018, 10:41:33 am »
Sat watching a trad guy on a 3 story house.  Does not do the 3rd story at all.

Mops and blades glass with zero detailing.  Completly not touching frames or sills at all.

Why do some customers accept this?
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

Spotfree

Re: Why do some put up with this?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 11:05:10 am »
Cheap! Same as some customers.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 12:19:43 pm »
As he probably knocked their door asking if they wanted a cleaner...he turned out to be rubbish and they ain't got the heart to sack him ;)

Stoots

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 01:44:15 pm »
I think in some cases people just don't care as much as we think, or at least don't care enough to make a fuss about it.

I'm a perfectionist, or should I say I was... but what I've noticed is these days I go faster and faster becoming more slap dash and no one has said owt.

I think it's all in our head most of the time...

cleaniac

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 03:00:33 pm »
Gomo has summed it right up.

Its just window cleaning. They don't care, as long as they look clean, and they are happy with the price, and the windy is reliable.

Like i said before, i doubt very much they even think about the windows, they just notice them when they are dirty.

We are paid to not be noticed.

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 03:14:10 pm »
I've had people actually tell me that they're not fussed about "frames and all that," their words not mine, as long as the windows are wiped over once in a while. Some of these types are better payers than the finnicky ones. I know what customers I prefer.
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

nathankaye

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 04:11:58 pm »
Ok, did some of you guys do trad before and did you all simply use washing up liquid?

Obviously some trad users cant/wont do more than the usual upstairs windows.
But
With more improvements being made to trad tools it is very easy to blade a window and do very little / if not non at all detailing.
Moerman and titan to name a couple use different soap/squeegee liquids which dont sud up or leave a sticky residue on the windows. 

Also we wfp have to do the frames because of the nature of how we clean windows. Yet trad guys have the option to ask customers and perhaps charge extra for cleaning the frames and/or clean the frames every other clean.

So lets not be too quick to pass judgement lads
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 04:30:12 pm »
When I started in 1977 we didn't do frames at all. They were all metal frames and painted putty. The painted putty quickly dried and cracked and was lethal on your scrims and fingers. So we soaped, bladed and cut in as close as we could to the frame and detailed (looseley) with a scrim. The scrims would get shredded really quickly. Sometimes our fingers as well. I used to go through them like nobodies business.
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

cleaniac

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 04:34:11 pm »
Well said nathan.

May i suggest those who like to sit and watch other window cleaners work, and criticise, that they mind thier own business get on and do some work and stop compaing yourself to the competition.

Most of the time its jealousy. Like i said before it makes me laugh how i see wfp cleaners rinsing and rinsing one window, making a big deal of being" thorough". Its hilarious.

Shrek

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 04:48:42 pm »
Well said nathan.

May i suggest those who like to sit and watch other window cleaners work, and criticise, that they mind thier own business get on and do some work and stop compaing yourself to the competition.

Most of the time its jealousy. Like i said before it makes me laugh how i see wfp cleaners rinsing and rinsing one window, making a big deal of being" thorough". Its hilarious.

Yeah well said Nathan . I’m sure there was someone who took a picture of some trad guys cleaning a bay window not so long ago.... I just can’t remember who it was... 🤔

nathankaye

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 05:55:47 pm »
Well said nathan.

Yeah well said Nathan . I’m sure there was someone who took a picture of some trad guys cleaning a bay window not so long ago.... I just can’t remember who it was... 🤔

😂😂  that i did lol
But that wasnt  any critique on how they cleaned windows (techniques being used etc) but rather two guys doing nothing whilst one person worked.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Johnny B

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 06:18:19 pm »
It depends on the type of windows as to what attention is needed to the edges.

My squeegees are dog-eared to cut down on detailing. Some windows require some, others don't.

For example, I do some shop fronts and some of them I blade without any detailing at all (I do wipe the frames though). Being a bit fussy I check the windows from the inside. Hardly ever do the edges come up less than perfect.

There are some residentials on the other hand that are a royal pain in the butt to get right.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2018, 01:52:15 pm »
Well said nathan.

I was on the phone to after completing a job whilst i witnessed this, nothing wrong with that.

Missing a third of the windows whilst leaving the frames that were clearly very dirty and not acceptable in my eyes.   Would you be happy if you or a staff member was only providing half the service paid for? 

Why would i be jealous of a poor work standard like this?    I see it as an opportunity.

May be I should not have posted this topic, but I have not named anyone nor have i taken photos or filmed him so I am not doing anything wrong.   However I will lock it to avoid confusion and upset. 

Merry Christmas all,
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3