Crystal-clear

It's been a while since I moaned about a customer .
« on: June 24, 2019, 08:38:32 pm »
I actually think I haven't moaned about a customer for several years..

But this is on another level. Out of  every 100 canvassed first cleans you tend to have one to remember. I've had one actually recently that's pretty bad but this message I received really tops the list and it's one thing which keeps me not surprised about window cleaning I'm struggling to keep my cool.

I edited the message a little bit.

"I have emailed you at  with my comments on what I experienced today. Your representative came for 5 minutes with a wet mop on the end of a long pole to clean the windows.  It's should have been explained that you don't bother with ladders or proper equipment and just give the windows and cursory wipe for 5 minutes. It's a complete waste of time and money. I shall alert the neighbourhood via our forum to be very wary of what services are provided. I'm not going to pay £20 for 5 minutes of ineffective cleaning. You may come and collect £5 cash for the effort and please do not bother to come again."

She's refusing to make a BACS transfer.
I actually couldn't help but respond totally boiled my blood. Initially tried to call back she didn't want to answer.
Told her to research the purified water system and reverted her to the booking in slip which actually says your windows will be wet and cleaned with the pole system... I also told her we have a lot of expenses and it's not a 5-minute job even though you think it is. And that is not right for you to leave such comments without doing your research as your potentially hindering us which we may also pursue you for.. and reminded her that she still owes for the clean something which she asked us to do.
I actually want to take her to court I'm serious
I don't care if it's going to cost me more can somebody please divert me to anyone they may use to chase debt there was a company out here which offered the service

I don't know I'm still really shook up it is very frustrating to get a message like that

I know it's part of parcel if your canvassing a lot some people don't really want window cleaning
And they go a little bit funny
but by god I've never ever had this sort of message in 10+years.

And now just to give you an example of how random first cleans can be just while I typed this out one of her neighbour's went on gocardless which is a payment option obviously she's happy....
Funny how it goes like that ... a minute ago I was fed up then you get a good result.. the spectrums of some of the first Cleaning customers can they really be wide but by god this one today really frustrated me.

The Jester of Wibbly

Re: It's been a while since I moaned about a customer .
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 08:46:36 pm »
This is the best place to vent. Feel for you there bud.

But not worth engaging with them too much.    Probably worth reminding them that the agreement was to clean their windows for x amount.  The method or timescale is not relivent.   Please be aware that unpaid debts are managed by a third party agency.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

Crystal-clear

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 08:51:12 pm »
This is the best place to vent. Feel for you there bud.

But not worth engaging with them too much.    Probably worth reminding them that the agreement was to clean their windows for x amount.  The method or timescale is not relivent.   Please be aware that unpaid debts are managed by a third party agency.
yes this is the place to vent mate thank you very much for your support bloody hell it really does get me down I had a real real slow patch sort of 18 months ago things started to pick up again slowly but surely and I started to become positive about the job again but then you get something like that!

Yes that's a good message to send short and sweet by the way what is that third party company I actually will instruct them.

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 09:12:24 pm »
don't engage - sometimes people just don't listen - if anything is put on the inter web/facebook - reply - this person can't afford to pay her debts

no more no less

you can't please some people but I can almost guarantee that all her neighbours know what she's like

chin up carry on !  (F**k 'em)

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 09:13:39 pm »
i feel your pain! customers like this come along every now and again. they can really wind me up if i'm in acertain frame of mind. other times i can let it go more easily.

what we do is give them their money back (ours pay by DD only), explain that we understand the service isnt for them and wish them luck finding a window cleaner that suits them better. i would also add a bit about what we are doing etc and how it works, and i would also be firm with them. i think people like this sometimes need to be responded to like for like almost, or put in their place at least.. but i would just have my say and end it.

i would add that these people... all their neighbours know what they are like. if she puts it on a forum she is just making herself look bad. people will think its just her going off on one of her over the top mad rants
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

Stoots

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 09:14:35 pm »
You can file a small claim online.

Unfortunately I think you may be ping in the wind though as its her words against yours with regards the quality of the clean.

Doubt you would get any money out of her in court.

Maybe threaten court in a letter and hope she coughs up and if not just take revenge or drop it as you see fit.

At least swear at her a lot though  ;D

nathankaye

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 09:16:21 pm »
Yep, this is the place to vent as we have all been there, or at least ones who have been going long enough. However, you will get the odd ones coming on and saying "suck it up and move on" but I'm with you on this one.
As long as you keep your response professional and polite, then all is good. You've explained how you have covered your basis for her to know those details and if she contacted you via your website, then that's another tick on your side! I would keep all correspondence as proof that she agreed to the clean and then send her an email outlining that you will take this further and use a debt recovery agent which can hinder her credit rating etc etc and incur further costs. To prevent this from happening, please make payment within 14 days.

I had a customer who owed a couple of cleans and I left him text messages and notes through the door. I finally sent him an email as I realised he paid on PayPal once and so I had a way of contacting him further.  So I highlighted the cleans and money owing and that I would take the matter further, as mentioned above. He paid me within 4 days and had a good moan, somehow it was my fault that I couldn't wait longer than 2months to be paid 😂😂.
Boohoo.
I got paid, he got upset n threw dummy out and nothing came of it. Apart from he's the only house on the street which I don't clean 😂

In this case however, yes people in the street may or may not know what character she/he is like. They normally get away with it or people can't be bothered to chase up on it and they may be reliant on that, which gives them a certain level of arrogance and for that reason alone, I would make a professional stance and follow through.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Dave Willis

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 09:31:06 pm »
Chill out, let it go. I had one ranting and raving last week, just shake your head and walk away, don’t stoop to her level, it’s not worth it.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 09:40:52 pm »
Cheers guys I mean "mop on the end of a long pole" are you kidding me or what?

nathankaye

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 09:44:20 pm »
It amazes me how many people tolerate bullies and allow them to continue with this type of attitude, which only boosts their confidence in doing so.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Windy Miller

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 09:55:35 pm »
There was a guy on this forum years ago who posted his unforgettable response to something almost identical to your experience.

I think it was xmas eve and he had booked in a first clean. House on the coast blowing a gale, spent ages at it, customer insulted his work and refused to pay up. He lost it and went to the local supermarket and stocked up on various liquids and filled up his pump up sprayer with them and let loose on all the windows. If I remember correctly there was even deep fat fryer oil in it.

Guy's a legend for that 😂

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 09:58:05 pm »
It amazes me how many people tolerate bullies and allow them to continue with this type of attitude, which only boosts their confidence in doing so.

its not tollerating bullies. its choosing your fights. choosing where you want to use your energy. choosing what you want to spend your time thinking about or worrying about.

people like her arent worth getting involved with. you cant really win. they are nutters and are looking for a fight.

yeh he could take it to small claims, take it to a debt collection agency whatever. what a waste of time for £20.

you'd be better off spending the time thinking about how to sell more to your happy customers, or get new ones or just spending time with your kids, the wife, or your mates. anything is better than getting dragged into this type of persons world... for £20

iSparkle Window Cleaning

nathankaye

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 10:01:24 pm »
I'm in the process of sending my first reminder to a customer.
I texted the night before as usual for the gate to be unlocked. I turn up and the gate is indeed unlocked and so I clean the house.  After 20 mins or so, after I've cleaned the house and drove away, I get a text apologising for being late but could they cancel that months clean 😂😂  (someone was in the house as they were shouting for the dog to stop barking and it was mid morning) :

So this is the first message and 7days later the next message will be to pay or it will be referred.  Yes its only for a £20 clean,  but that isn't the point.  Yes it's not an high amount to worry about the trouble, but that may be her line of thinking as well and she will pay up.

(modified, as I've just seen the above post)
I agree, it's not worth loosing any sleep over and pending a person's character, it may not.  For me, I won't. I've sent this text and probably forget about it (I actually had forget until I've read this thread) until I either hear back from her or I remember at some point next week or a bit later and then the next message will be sent.   It's hardly wasting any time or energy and most will sort it out well before it gets anywhere too seriously and then you have the choice to either carry it through or let your bluff be called.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 10:14:38 pm »
hey nathan,

i think its just different examples. i would let the first clean one go. i would treat yours the same as you have. they get told when we are coming, we charge them for the clean regardless of if the gates locked. they cant cancel on the day of the clean etc

to be fair, as you say you arent wound up by your example, but crystal is wound up by his so it will take up energy, time etc.. crystal's example is of a person going bat sh*% crazy over something silly.
iSparkle Window Cleaning

SB Cleaning

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2019, 10:19:08 pm »
I would politely tell her to shove the £20 up her backside and move on :D

It ain't worth getting stressed over really  8)

dazmond

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2019, 10:46:52 pm »
i got a text off someone when i was in mexico,she said she got my number off a customer of mine(whos a great customer by the way and is good as gold)so went round and priced up  as it was near other jobs scheduled that week......£25 first clean,£15 8 weekly after that and she agreed.....

scruffy house and windows not been cleaned in years,dog crap in the garden too(i only found this out when i went to clean them!).i had a bad feeling but cleaned them anyway as its a customers friend,left invoice and she promised to transfer me the money that evening.....that was thursday....still nothing...not even a text saying "thanks for doing such a great job Darren ive transferred the money into your account"which would be the normal response from a decent new customer.....

if no payment made by next monday ill send a text reminder,if still no reply/payment then ill be knocking hard on her front door armed with a card machine......before dumping never to return..... ;D
price higher/work harder!

alank

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2019, 07:49:23 am »
It's one job in hundreds delete replace and move on. You don't have to deal with the clowns just concentrating on the decent customers is the best way for an easier day ;D

robbo333

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2019, 08:41:56 am »
I used to get wound up, but not anymore, I can't even be bothered to waste my energy with these types of people.
Don't even bother chasing the money, just put it 'in the bank of experience' and move on.

In fact, people like that just put into perspective; how good all my other customers are.
Thanks for the reminder!  ;D
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2019, 09:16:47 am »
I used to get wound up, but not anymore, I can't even be bothered to waste my energy with these types of people.
Don't even bother chasing the money, just put it 'in the bank of experience' and move on.

In fact, people like that just put into perspective; how good all my other customers are.
Thanks for the reminder!  ;D

I agree to a point.....but it's great to see them face to face at their own front door armed with a card machine......when I'm dressed in black I look like a balliff/copper.....they cough up usually....... ;D

It's the principle.....these people are robbing/stealing from you......
price higher/work harder!

Crystal-clear

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2019, 09:22:41 am »
Thank you guys! I also haven't been wound up to this point for many years in fact as we started getting busier obviously with canvassing you get similar behaviour not like this though normally you get I like to pay but not happy with the water. Or you get yes that's great see you next time and last minute no more window cleaning on text. Obviously that's just standard and I wouldn't even bother mentioning it but this one really shook me up lol. It's not the money it's the audacity that she has she blatantly just wants to mess people around and knows she can get away with it. Part of Me wishes I didn't even say anything to give her the time of day. But then on the other hand I put everything in perspective for her delusional behaviour £5.00... for your "mop on a stick" which is basically a £350 pole  how about the annual expenses insurance water van..chartered accountants... better get out now they have a way of demotivating you don't they sometimes but I muself have a large detached 5 bedroom house to clean today with a gate code on direct debit..then a fee fronts and a full.. need to keep looking at the more normal customers side of the business. And I said earlier the spectrum can be rather diverse I find it a little bit like Marmite. just on the same day had another one sign up on gocardless while she complained and a text to say she's overly happy. I guess it's a sign to say carry on chin up!