Smurf

Re: Electric hose reel £45
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2016, 11:17:13 am »
A bull ring on an extenadable rod sounds like a very expensive bull poop idea to me too.

mufcglen

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2016, 01:04:00 pm »
I brought type 3. Mainly for the key fobs. I can make the relay myself for about a fiver.

hi mate any chance you can tell me how u wired it up ;)

kevinquinn

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2016, 08:19:40 pm »
I brought type 3. Mainly for the key fobs. I can make the relay myself for about a fiver.

Remote Switch
You just replace a switch with the remote relay...

Hose reel
Negative wire to negative on the battery

Then a switch or relay between the red positive wire and the positive battery

If you swap motor red to negative on battery then it will spin the other way

ObiwanK

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2016, 08:56:25 pm »
Perfected the electric hose reel now.  The chain isnt coming off and ive added a remote control with a range of 200 metres.  It hasfojr channels,  one for reel one for pump.  Im gonna try to use the third channel for an automated message,  STEP AWAY FROM THE VAN!

How did you stop the chain coming off?

kevinquinn

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2016, 12:29:53 am »
Perfected the electric hose reel now.  The chain isnt coming off and ive added a remote control with a range of 200 metres.  It hasfojr channels,  one for reel one for pump.  Im gonna try to use the third channel for an automated message,  STEP AWAY FROM THE VAN!

I got some waste pipe, the sort that goes under the sink.  It fits perfectly over spindle.  So i cut two bits to li e uo chain with cog better.  It hasnt come off once now.  Im building another thus week ive got a new hose reel and im buying new motor cog and chain.  I am considering making it a sealed unit and building rollers into front.

marps

« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2016, 08:24:11 am »
Which cog did you get the one in the link has four holes and hose reel has only three.

ObiwanK

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2016, 11:57:50 am »

I got some waste pipe, the sort that goes under the sink.  It fits perfectly over spindle.  So i cut two bits to li e uo chain with cog better.  It hasnt come off once now.  Im building another thus week ive got a new hose reel and im buying new motor cog and chain.  I am considering making it a sealed unit and building rollers into front.

Do you have a pic please? Not working in my mental picture of it. Thanks.

mufcglen

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2016, 03:31:49 pm »

Remote Switch

Hose reel

cheers mate you dont have a photo of your wiring do you as simple as it is,my remote when i cut the feed to it when im finishing for the day and then switching back on in morning it fires up straight away so i have press the remote button to turn it off then its ok for the day, but its like plugging a tv in to the wall and it just comes on without switching it on if you understand me lol!

kevinquinn

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2016, 05:35:20 pm »
Which cog did you get the one in the link has four holes and hose reel has only three.

I drilled another he on hise reel.

kevinquinn

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2016, 05:39:13 pm »

Ill take so e oics over weekend.  Im doing another reel but with all new parts.  Using chrom e chaine and orange sprocket on black reel. PIMP MY REEL 😁

Remote Switch

Hose reel

cheers mate you dont have a photo of your wiring do you as simple as it is,my remote when i cut the feed to it when im finishing for the day and then switching back on in morning it fires up straight away so i have press the remote button to turn it off then its ok for the day, but its like plugging a tv in to the wall and it just comes on without switching it on if you understand me lol!

Fieldsy

« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2016, 07:22:40 pm »
Love this economical but effective idea. I'm ok with the electric connections, but can't see how the cog is fitted to the reel ( I can see its bolted, but to what ?). Also you have the plastic bushes ( from what I can see ) on the outside of the reel, wheras these are on the inside on most reels, how did you compensate the reel not moving from side to side ?. Definitely wanna give this a go.

cheers  ;)

...and what 6mm links ( number ) chain did you use ?

Just seen there are 3 holes in the side of the reel. Did you have to drill 4 new holes in the cog or were the holes in line with the cog holes already ? ( which I doubt ? )
If Carlsberg made window cleaners....I'd be one of them....lol

Spruce

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2016, 05:21:37 pm »
Love this economical but effective idea. I'm ok with the electric connections, but can't see how the cog is fitted to the reel ( I can see its bolted, but to what ?). Also you have the plastic bushes ( from what I can see ) on the outside of the reel, wheras these are on the inside on most reels, how did you compensate the reel not moving from side to side ?. Definitely wanna give this a go.

cheers  ;)

Just seen there are 3 holes in the side of the reel. Did you have to drill 4 new holes in the cog or were the holes in line with the cog holes already ? ( which I doubt ? )

You have 2 choices Fieldsy.  ;D

You either dill 3 holes in the cog to line up with the hose reel hub, or drill 4 holes in the hub to match up with the cog.

I would imagine the decision which way to go will be easier made when you have both components together.

The length of the chain would be determined by the position of the motor in your setup. Links are easily removed to make the chain the right length and joined with the master link.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

kevinquinn

« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2016, 06:00:37 pm »

cheers  ;)

I couldnt have put it better myself.  However the reel in the video i brought second hand and only recently noticed that the black spacers wege on wrong.  I since changed them and it was almost perfect.  I had some waste pipe and cut two bits just so the reel didnt move from side to side.  I drilled another hole in the hose reel and it works perfectly.  I used some astic washers about 5 mm high that space the cog away from reel and just secured the motor to van floor. 

Im going to design something tho that lines up with hose reel holes so it can just slot in and you attach the cog to it.  Ill get it machined by a friend and make available  at cost if needed.

You have 2 choices Fieldsy.  ;D

You either dill 3 holes in the cog to line up with the hose reel hub, or drill 4 holes in the hub to match up with the cog.

I would imagine the decision which way to go will be easier made when you have both components together.

The length of the chain would be determined by the position of the motor in your setup. Links are easily removed to make the chain the right length and joined with the master link.

Fieldsy

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2016, 08:04:29 pm »
Thanks Spruce and Shotokan. I was confused by the fact only one more hole was drilled in the reel, ( I drilled another hole in the hose reel and it works perfectly.) when infact the 3 that are already there produce a triangular template wheras the cog would have 4 holes with a square template ??

I was thinking about it today and wondered how you kept the cog from the reel and obviously the spacer makes sense.

So, if the " bushes" were on wrong, does that mean the plastic water pipe isn't needed and the bushes can infact stay where they are on the inside of the reel.

Thanks for all the info   ;) .........gonna get this set up :)

cheers Fieldsy

kevinquinn

« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2016, 08:20:23 pm »
You probably don't need the spacers on the spindle if  the reel isn't bent mine was old and warped. I've a new hose reel now so I'll see with thAt

Fieldsy

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2016, 08:28:29 pm »
...but won't the cog be tight against framework of the reel once tightened, as the three holes are recessed ( well they are on my reel) and won't be much space for the chain to sit on the cog ?. I'm just trying to cover all eventualities...lol ...not trying to pick faults...I think its briiliant !!!!. Can't wait to give it a try :)

Going by this, it looks like all they have done is put an extra nut behind each securing nut to space it away from the reel. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWc-ktgY_7k

kevinquinn

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2016, 08:59:53 pm »
...but won't the cog be tight against framework of the reel once tightened, as the three holes are recessed ( well they are on my reel) and won't be much space for the chain to sit on the cog ?. I'm just trying to cover all eventualities...lol ...not trying to pick faults...I think its briiliant !!!!. Can't wait to give it a try :)

Going by this, it looks like all they have done is put an extra nut behind each securing nut to space it away from the reel. :)

I used plastic spacers https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plastic-Nylon-Spacers-diameter-projects/dp/B00F5ZQVOE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1481230623&sr=8-2&keywords=plastic+spacer

Fieldsy

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2016, 09:05:04 pm »
Thanks shotokan, gonna get all the bits and give it a go ;). Thanks for all the info. Sorry m8, still a bit mystified, did you drill three new holes in the cog........or one as you suggested in the reel ??

cheers fieldsy

kevinquinn

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2016, 09:12:41 pm »

I just double checked,  i drled four new holes in hub to match cog

I used plastic spacers https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plastic-Nylon-Spacers-diameter-projects/dp/B00F5ZQVOE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1481230623&sr=8-2&keywords=plastic+spacer

Fieldsy

« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2016, 09:36:47 pm »