jo5hm4n

Canvassing Commercial Properties
« on: February 03, 2017, 06:49:09 pm »
So at the moment i'm doing lots of domestic canvassing and it's going well, i forgot how easy it is to get good results when you just put the time and effort in and stick with it.

I've never canvassed commercially though.  Wondering if anybody on here could be kind enough to give me some advice. 

Usually this is my basic script for domestic canvassing which for me works just fine.

"Hi, My name is Josh, i am a local window cleaner, would you be interested in a free quote?" - Worked for me fine last 3 years.

However i realise with commercial property, you can't just use that approach with anybody working there, i need to know who is in charge of cleaning contracts, and also would this approach work or not?  Or am i better off sending out emails to local offices and businesses and try that approach?

Could do with some advice from anybody that has canvassed commercial clients before, i'm a bit in the dark on this one.

Just to clarify i am not looking at doing small town shops, i am really looking for schools/apartment buildings but mainly office buildings with lots of glass.  I don't need loads of commercial clients, just a handful would do to get me started, even if it's just some small office blocks to get me started.

Also, been advised not to use these tele sales people to get clients, and my website hasn't brought me in any commercial jobs just yet, so i definitely want to try some canvassing commercially.

Appreciate any help guys please ;)

jo5hm4n

Re: Canvassing Commercial Properties
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 01:28:40 pm »
Anybody? ;)

swanson

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 01:45:09 pm »
Hi Josh
what i do is just go into the reception area and ask for the facilities manager .
or ask the receptionist if they have regular window cleaner.

Mick Kent

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 03:50:49 pm »
If i was you id stick to domestic. At least your appreciated. I gave up pretty much all domest to go commercial and have never hated working so much so slowly im now subbing out jobs and picking up domestics again to have a simple and easy life without the stress and silly miles and hours to not earn a great deal more than on the houses.

jk999

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 04:21:54 pm »
Domestic is your bread and butter where as commercial is ok for bonus earnings but there are always other window  cleaner s trying to take the big jobs from you .some commercial can be such an hard job to get some decent  money and also you might find some will use you for a one of clean

Splash & dash

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 08:01:44 pm »
I have found it's not what you know but who you know , most of our commercial work comes from recommendations from existing customers , this seams to be especially the case with hotels , the managers all belong to some business group they have regular meetings and discuss who they use for various jobs , are they reliable , do a good job etc . I started off years ago doing the windows of a flat , not knowing that the owners mother was the manager for a large sheltered accommodation company she was that impressed with the quality of the job I did on her daughters flat , she asked me to do this large block of flats , this has led to a very large contract with me working as far away as Bristol/bath areas (180 miles away) if you want this type of work try phoning first , ask to speak to the mantanance manager , try and make an appointment to go and see him , if possible take along a portfolio of the other work you are doing along with details of existing customers who are happy to recommend you get them to phone a customer recommendation from an existing client is always good . Once you get established in this type of work it will snowball , but be careful you don't get to much work to quick or you will need more vans and staff which takes time to get the right people trained up and experienced

Marc Stock

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 09:17:25 pm »
So at the moment i'm doing lots of domestic canvassing and it's going well, i forgot how easy it is to get good results when you just put the time and effort in and stick with it.

I've never canvassed commercially though.  Wondering if anybody on here could be kind enough to give me some advice. 

Usually this is my basic script for domestic canvassing which for me works just fine.

"Hi, My name is Josh, i am a local window cleaner, would you be interested in a free quote?" - Worked for me fine last 3 years.

However i realise with commercial property, you can't just use that approach with anybody working there, i need to know who is in charge of cleaning contracts, and also would this approach work or not?  Or am i better off sending out emails to local offices and businesses and try that approach?

Could do with some advice from anybody that has canvassed commercial clients before, i'm a bit in the dark on this one.

Just to clarify i am not looking at doing small town shops, i am really looking for schools/apartment buildings but mainly office buildings with lots of glass.  I don't need loads of commercial clients, just a handful would do to get me started, even if it's just some small office blocks to get me started.

Also, been advised not to use these tele sales people to get clients, and my website hasn't brought me in any commercial jobs just yet, so i definitely want to try some canvassing commercially.

Appreciate any help guys please ;)

To be honest id just stick to domestic. Commercial work isn't what it used to be.

Knocker

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 02:00:02 pm »
Commercial is a waste of time...much better off sticking to domestic

Johnny B

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 04:44:57 pm »
A good friend of mine does mainly commercial stuff. I do mostly residential with a morning  a week's worth of town centre shop fronts and a few small businesses that I do fortnightly. All pay on the nail and are a doddle.

We were talking about our businesses over a pint and I said I wouldn't want any of the hassle he gets: ie being there at their beck and call, then keeping him waiting for months for payment.

It's horses for courses, my course being a very simple one.

John.
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Splash & dash

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 09:26:12 pm »
I much prefer commercial better money but if you loose a contract it hurts 😰😰😰😰

Richard Stevenson

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 07:32:13 am »
Best advise i could give you is knock on as many doors as possible , expect lots of no no no , if your persisent you will get work, in good times it will snowball in  bad time it will retract. Go for management companys they can give you lots of work residentiual appartment blocks are the best work out there at the mo. Dress smart, jeans shirt smart coat, look professional. Ask to speek to who ever would deal with the window cleaning contract and sell yourself. Dont listen to the negative advise from some of the above comments. Good luck.