bertie 1967

windows look rubbish
« on: July 02, 2009, 03:08:18 pm »
hi newbe to wfp been doing some new customers with wfp.  Had 1 moan but told her will look better after 2/3 cleans.

Done old trad customer today with wfp and all the bottoms were all smeary????
they looked crap so had to do again WHY DID THEY GO SO SMEARY

All wfp r/o system is new.  Water was 000 on tds.  Poles are new.

Any one any ideas why this has happend.  Will the hot weather were having in southeast anything to do with it

Cheers Andy

johnny_h

Re: windows look rubbish
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 06:07:43 pm »
smeary? or spotty ? what i did when i moved them over to the new system was when up the ladder the month before i made sure all the tops of the windows and surrounding area were cleaned
on new customers now i clean the top half of the window and rinse right around the house then go back and re do the window but dont go upto the top of the frame wash and rinse wash and rinse again
AUDI VIDE TACE

Anglocom

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 02:27:54 pm »
When you clean windows with wfp for the first time, use more water. You're having to remove months/years of Fairy Liquid. Second clean should be fine.

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 09:01:51 am »
bertie what wfp system are you using van mount , trolley or backpack ?
it seems like you are not using enough water to rinse , i was the same when i first started and there will be a few more besides me the first few cleans were a nightmare , i wasnt even getting half the houses done which i had done on ladders due to lack of water .
what i started to do was use a spare pole and soapy water and soap up all the frames and glass and just rinse off  with pure on first cleans since i took up that method ive never had a problem with smears /spotting .
that was over 4 years ago and i still use this method on any first cleans i do now and will be confident that the result will be 100% every time , no need for the second and third clean to get it right .
after the first cleans were done life got really easy hope you try this method even if only on 1 house just to seen the diffrance between just using pure on a first clean .
where theres muck theres money

ian1972

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 09:58:54 pm »
keep on scrubbing and rinsing spend some time on the first cleans

mark dew

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 01:05:03 am »
Really hot sun can cause the windows to dry a bit spotty. But the most likely cause is not enough time and water spent on the job.
The good news is that once they have come up good that 1st time, they pretty much always come up good afterwards.
It's just getting that initial spotless clean with wfp that takes the time.

ian1972

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 09:33:30 am »
the more effort u put in on those first cleans the better honestly it will b worth it

pingu

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 03:03:57 pm »
On 1st cleans...I have and always will clean the house twice...this I find is the only way that works for me to ensure that I get that spotless finish.

I have tried the 'once' approach and it has never really worked for me.

Cheers
Dave.

ftp

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 04:00:59 pm »
Ditto, first cleans are a total pain. I would guess most of the complaints are from cleaners trying to do the first one in one pass. In my opinion it can't be done.

pingu

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 07:40:51 pm »
I have to admit...I would be ashamed to tell a customer that it'll would take 2 to 3 cleans for me to be able to make their windows clean, it's no wonder the general public and fellow w/c's have such a low impression of wfp.

Cheers
Dave.

bridger windows

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 05:50:23 pm »
hi all i am new to this forum, have been cleaning windows traditionally for 8 years and am thinking of moving over to water fed poles, am just a bit worried what the customers will think. how do they react to all the water left around the property and can you guys using the system clean the sills as well as with elbow grease? Can the windows look as good as my regular clean on first clean with pole? I only have 420 customers so cant afford to lose any!

Thanks, Dave

paulben

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 07:44:55 pm »
Think of it this way I would rather lose a customer than fall of a ladder. one word of warning If you do downstairs trad before upstairs sill has stopped dripping it will end up a right mess .
summer not too much prob with water on floor but winter carry plenty of salt and if its going too freeze hard dont do above doors or paths but tell customer why you havent done them and adjust price to suit .
Do not steal the government hates competition

prestigeclean

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 07:52:24 pm »
i,m in the south east if you want to come and see how you get a spot free finish and do the job real quick 07791964204 regards alan

vision tech

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 10:33:03 pm »
I have noticed that some of my custies window frames are made of aluminium and coated with white and since i went wfp they smear because the white coating comes of frames when they are old, so i do them trad.

when custies complain about water all over the place, i laugh and say it is just the same as when it rains, but one custie had an answer for me today,
he said when it rains i have to go out and brush it away so i dont want to do it when you clean the windows aswell. :P :P
I started out with nothing......I still have most of it.

GWCS

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 11:36:46 am »
I have noticed that some of my custies window frames are made of aluminium and coated with white and since i went wfp they smear because the white coating comes of frames when they are old, so i do them trad.

when custies complain about water all over the place, i laugh and say it is just the same as when it rains, but one custie had an answer for me today,
he said when it rains i have to go out and brush it away so i dont want to do it when you clean the windows aswell. :P :P

they must live a sad life brushing rain away..

bridger windows

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 06:34:24 pm »
Thanks all appreciate feedback. Have been thinking about moving over for years think now is the time! What do you do about windows that are locked slightly open or old leaded windows where water can pass through. Is it a bad idea to do tops with pole and bottoms traditionally due to dripping. Are customers generally happy with the change or is it a bit of a battle to convince them; im not a great sales man!

EZclean

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 01:20:54 am »
clean open windows as normal, its not a pressure washer, 2lpm max. old leaded's will leak through, normally its only a trickle or 2, and customers i find are fine with it cos they know they are old windows.

i have lost about 6 customers in total with me changing over in Jan this year,
i kind of knew beforehand which would not 'like it'. 3 of them are the same family all sisters in their 70's on different streets.  ::)

most wont be in and most wont care. the others will be fine because its safer for you 'not going up them ladders all day', i have had customers say to me they are happier with the new way and the glass has never looked so clean.
if people work in an office then they will probably be used to seeing windows cleaned wfp and so is not alien to them.
go for it, you will struggle the first month, 2nd time will be easier and quicker, 3rd time round you'll be flying, you honestly will not believe how much you can get done by lunch. its a no brainer.
EZclean - Cleaner Than Water

bridger windows

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 05:46:22 pm »
thanks matey im feeling more and more confident, starting to tell customers it will be happening, not might. Im going for 700l heated system as this is as much water you can put in long wheel base nissan primaster. how much water do you carry? im local so can re load easily. Did you offer price reductions on jobs that were priced high due to difficulty?

EZclean

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 07:01:38 pm »
700l hot  ;D

yes please.....

i started with a trolley and 25ltr tubs could onl get 6 in the car aswell as trolley. so iw as coming home at lunch to top up.
now got van and 600ltr tank.
i use 400ltrs give or take a bit. but i always take 500-600. i like to know i've got enough. i'd hate to be having a good day and flying through it and then not have enough.
if you're on your own you wont be coming back to top up with 700l thats for sure.
i didn't tell any of my customers about chaging over i just did it overnight. no i tell a lie, customers had gone from flat roof semis to pitched roofs, due to age of the roofs they were leaking. i used to walk across and do the bedrooms, but the pitches were really steep and big and the ladder placement was just impossible, so on these i stopped doing the fronts and said i will be changing to a new system and will then carry on as normal.
they are now happy again.

dont reduce your prices just cos you can do it quicker, price the same as trad, i have a £30 big leaded dorma bungalow that took ages to do trad, but the with the pole i now fly round it in half the time,. i slow down a bit when they are in though. lol
you've invested in euipment to allow you to clean easier previously difficult windows, now you can do above conservatories,for this alone i have customers who will never go back to the old way.
all the best with your new system, like i say it is frustrating at the start, and your body really aches for about 3weeks till you get used to it. but as long as you kow what to expect it will make it easier to deal with.
my biggest tip on your first day. turn that flow right up, do not skimp on water, and stay away from the top of the frame only clean it if you 'catch' it with the brush or jet. do all the frame a few cleans down the line. it took me 10 houses to realise this on day 1.

bridger windows

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 04:26:58 pm »
Thanks again cant wait to get it going now, sick of ladder work! Ive heard you can work in the rain with this sys, do you and how many extra houses can you get done in a day. I understand it will take longer to start with as i remove deep dirt and soap residue, my friend recons on extra 150 a day if trad was averaging 250. Im going to be using a splitter so two people can work.
Sorry to pester! ???

EZclean

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2009, 04:43:27 pm »
you cleaned 250 trad on your own  :o :o :o :o

once your up and running (4-5cleans) i find on all my work i'm 30-40% quicker.
this morning i got my hair cut, so i didn't get started till 10am finished the street for 12. £79 inc chats and collecting. all compact domestic work. now that used to take me well over 3hrs trad.
yes i work in the rain i always have done even when trad. just till i get soaked then i go home.

bridger windows

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009, 10:31:12 pm »
sorry meant pounds not houses! that would be good!

Ste M

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2009, 01:47:50 am »
what system did you buy and how much did it all cost?

ive been looking into this now fairly seriously, noticed a few vans on e-bay with the full et up already in them for around the 3-4k mark. i was wondering wether to jumo in with both feet and buy one or just get a small set up and go from there, i have to get over garages to get to the back of some of my customers so what would i do there? old tradition or get a back pack?

EZclean

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2009, 09:52:07 am »
prepare to lose the over garage ones, unless you can arrange to go through, just take the hose with you.
i had a few of these, i only do 1 now, and thats the fronts, she's never in to go through the garage, i've done it once 3months ago.

bridger windows

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2009, 07:12:59 pm »
I havent brought the system yet but am going to get Ionics Thermo Pure. 1000L static system and 700L van mounted Thermo Pure delivery system. The kit without van is around 12K. I will be getting a long wheel base nissan primastar as this has a larger payload than short wheel base. Just dont know if ill go for brand new or low milage yet. The full on the road package with van is roughly £27,000. Scary money, I hope it all works out  :-\.  My Friend uses Ionics and couldnt rate them higher, next day delivery on parts, customer service top notch. His business is doing very well 3000 odd customers, 100K+ per year. Give me some of that!

EZclean

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2009, 09:17:01 pm »
good luck mate...
you could do it alot cheaper, even with a Hot system.
my cold wfp system for everything cost me less than £1k inc: 650ltr in van, 400gpd RO and a DI vessel and a static storage tank (water butt)
it works perfect!

bridger windows

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2009, 04:41:04 pm »
what is your system mate, I haven't parted with any money yet. This is all a bit of a headache! Was yours new or second hand?

EZclean

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2009, 08:14:51 pm »
1x brand new 650ltr ibc with 2x 8ton ratchet straps £75 for the tank, straps of the market for £6 each. nealy new condition. = £87

1x400gpd twin pumped RO system produces at 75ltrs/hr £285/£295 with small DI fitted:
http://www.johnhewitt.com/ro.htm

1xDI vessel filled £80-130 depending on size:

http://www.daqua.co.uk/divessels.htm

1x1000ibc static storage tank new: £50 on Ebay
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=ibc+tank&_sacat=See-All-Categories

1x submersible pump for static £40:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Submersible-Hose-Pump-500w-Hot-Tub-Pool-Spa-Spas-Tubs_W0QQitemZ170382819517QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Swimming_Pools_Hot_Tubs?hash=item27ab9b80bd&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

1x 70psi pump 4ltrs/min £40 (new)
 http://www.johnhewitt.com/pumps.htm

i would get this next time, bring it in at winter £135- http://www.johnhewitt.com/batteries.htm 

1x leisure battery £80, something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/125ah-Leisure-Marine-Battery_W0QQitemZ270456407019QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM?hash=item3ef87543eb&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

1x flow controller £90:
 http://www.johnhewitt.com/controllers.htm  (not the same as mine, i got mine second hand) the all in one above has a flow controller built in

1x microbore twin wall £ 30-50 
http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/Hoses.html

1x hose reel £30:
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9413668&ecamp=trf-005&CAWELAID=266993434

1x Harris 5m pole £15:
 http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9373232&ecamp=trf-005&CAWELAID=266956798

as a pole for domestics it is perfect upto first floor heights, but if you wanna spalsh the cash go for an slx for the money you saved building your own system.

you'll need one of these for the tank in the van too:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-HOZELOCK-CONNECTOR-FOR-IBC-TAP-WATER-BUTTS_W0QQitemZ120463579737QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL?hash=item1c0c305a59&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

anyway you get the idea, any other bits and bobs like hose connectors are just a few pounds.

if their are 2 of you working you will need 2 pumps, 2 reels, 2 microbore, 2 flow controllers.

TOTAL = £1500 max for a 2man system

plus van of your choice of course. and extra for a local engineers to make up a sturdy cage to bolt the tank to van floor if that is what you want.

EZclean

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2009, 08:30:38 pm »
and after all that if you still want a hot system go here:

http://avondhucleaning.com/Yabb_2/public_html/yabbfiles/Attachments/Hot_WFP_E.doc

Nat built his own for £200

bridger windows

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2009, 06:16:27 pm »
Ok, do you know of anyone who will do all of this for me, ready to go. D.I.Y. is not for me especially at this level. I just want to pay and pick up! Can prob sort out the coating on van floor. What about safety in crash, and what if something goes wrong who would i be able to call to fix any problems? Appreciate you help!

EZclean

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2009, 06:36:54 pm »
can you wire a plug?
can you put a hose onto a hozelock connector?

then you can DIY a system. sure it'll take you longer than "piycking it up" but when something goes wrong with it, YOU will know because YOU fitted it all together. honestly mate, there's nowt to em.
all your doing is pumping water up a pole.

listed above is virtually everything you would need to get a 2 man system for £1500.

if you want someone to do it, ring purefreedom, they are based in grimsby. check their website for details, ask to speak to Andy.

EZclean

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2009, 06:39:03 pm »
i also know a guy in Clitheroe, Lancashire who buids systems but it depends where in the country your based.
but if you've got the money go to Ionics, my original point to you was you dont have to spend all that to get something that will do the same job.

bridger windows

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2009, 08:26:49 pm »
brilliant, tuns out one of my friends deals with water purification all day long in his job and is up for helping me to build a system. I thing i might get the delivery system professionally fitted as i want hot water that runs off the diesel in van and i dont like the idea of messing around with gas bottles! Still with your help i will save grands! Will sort you out a good drink for your help. Pure Freedom quoted me £6500 for heated system, 800l in van ready to go with poles, still half the price and they say they use same heater and ro as Ionics. Again thanks for opening my eyes, nearly got sucked in by sales men!!!!!!!! ;D

EZclean

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2009, 09:47:22 pm »
go for it!!!!!!!!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

where are you from?

send me pic when you get it set up.  :D

all the best bud.

bridger windows

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2009, 09:24:43 pm »
Woking Surrey. The list you showed me only has 2 filters, the ro and di, why does the ionics have 5? or are the equivalent in the ro you showed. The ro on the ionics and pure freedom looks much bigger, does your one do the same and are there any other filters that can be added to maintain water quality. How do you guarantee pure water all of the time, does the di resin slowly get less efficient thus producing gradually lower quality water??? Could i go to fill up in morning and find the ppm too high to use. Surely any ppm would potentially leave spots?   ???

elite mike

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2009, 10:07:42 pm »
Woking Surrey. The list you showed me only has 2 filters, the ro and di, why does the ionics have 5? or are the equivalent in the ro you showed. The ro on the ionics and pure freedom looks much bigger, does your one do the same and are there any other filters that can be added to maintain water quality. How do you guarantee pure water all of the time, does the di resin slowly get less efficient thus producing gradually lower quality water??? Could i go to fill up in morning and find the ppm too high to use. Surely any ppm would potentially leave spots?   ???

you cannot guarantee water quality all the time unless you check it regularly with a tds meter

you will have to change the filters at least twice a year and the resin as well

if you do this you should have minimal problems

i have mates who have not changed their filters or resin for 2 years

and have not had any probs

bridger windows

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2009, 08:34:07 pm »
Does anyone on here know of someone using a pure freedom heated system, they say they use the same heater etc as ionics and quoted me £6500. This includes a static system and delivery unit fitted in van and everything else needed to get to work, poles etc. Ionics £12145.85! Whats the bloody difference? Can someone enlighten me?

GWCS

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2009, 09:44:28 pm »
Does anyone on here know of someone using a pure freedom heated system, they say they use the same heater etc as ionics and quoted me £6500. This includes a static system and delivery unit fitted in van and everything else needed to get to work, poles etc. Ionics £12145.85! Whats the bloody difference? Can someone enlighten me?

you can shop at Asda or you can shop at M&S.. its food at the end of the day, you decide what you like more..

In reality,

Ionics having higher runnings costs such as bigger premises, larger marketing, Research & Design, Crash Testing, and the phrase "Reach & Wash" is their trademark so its becoming a house hold name so inevitably add all that together you pay more..

kyle austin

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2009, 03:05:51 pm »
i am buying the 350 ltr diy system from pure freedom to fit myself although i will also be buying the hot box (water heater) from them too but getting them to fit for me think the heater fitted is around £2400 so full set up will only be about £3500. cannot see the point or justification of charging £12000 plus for the same.

each to their own though

d.ward

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2009, 05:41:13 pm »
Im getting the 250 from brodex now im worried - Will i have enough water because all my customers ive bought are traditional

EZclean

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2009, 05:54:49 pm »
250 is not enough if you want to do all windows tops and bottoms for a days work.
if just doing tops it will be plenty and trad the bottoms.

look towards a 400ltr tank is my advice