lucymulligan

up up and away.first day
« on: January 23, 2007, 01:30:47 pm »
hi am doing my first days window cleaning on sat (weather permiting) i know ive done every thing to make my ladder safe  (matt and stand off)
has anyone got any tips for nerves P.s do you think i will get less work being a female ?
better to risk my neck for myself than break my back for some one else !!

Mike_G

Re: up up and away.first day
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 01:55:57 pm »
I dont know if you will get any more or less work being female but good luck to you starting up in January. As for tips, have you cleaned windows before? I assume you are using applicator and squeegee and not wfp.

lucymulligan

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 02:51:54 pm »
yeah using ladder etc ... good at cleaning windows ( i am a woman )
been practicing doing downstairs by standing in one spot ... just got to get my confidence on the ladder .... just found out there is a window cleaner in the village so it could be squeegees at dawn ( but i am goig to stick to the army living quarters that i live on ...
as for tips  do you remember the first time you ever went up a ladder ...
whats the best way to keep your hands warm ?

Mike_G

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 03:18:55 pm »
No, I cant even guess. Are you using an alloy or wooden ladder? Alloy ones will be cold for quite a while the wooden ones dont get as cold overnight in the frost etc, try to leave your ladder in the sun as quickly as possible if you can this will help clear the frost and warm the metal a bit. Be very careful this time of year with green pavements etc the ladder will be extremely slippy on this. And dont overstretch although it might seem like a pain to get down the ladder and move it just to do a tiny piece that you couldn't reach, it is not worth it and accidents can happen.  My advice to you on how to clean windows would be use a small squeegee it might take a little longer to do but you will find it easier than a large one (hope that doesn't sound rude) and you may not need to spend as much time detailing.

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 05:21:24 pm »
We started this time last year and have never looked back.
Just take your time and you will get better and faster. Don't rush.
Always price high, if you quote too high and don't get the job don't worry as you never had it in the first place. The last thing you want is a round where you work like mad for not much cash!!

niceandclean

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 06:15:37 pm »
hi am doing my first days window cleaning on sat (weather permiting) i know ive done every thing to make my ladder safe  (matt and stand off)
has anyone got any tips for nerves P.s do you think i will get less work being a female ?

I have a girl canvassing team working for me at the moment, and the customers are always asking them if they will be cleaning the windows. Customers have said to me they dont expect a woman to be knocking for window cleaning work, i have found that they have got me higher priced work, they seem to get away with pricing a little higher than i would. Im not being sexist, but i think being a woman and telling your customers that you will be cleaning the windows, they will love it, i reckon you will do extremely well. But you must obviously, once you have the customers do a good job as to keep them as customers!!
Good luck.

Jake

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 06:21:01 pm »
Lucy

Agree with comments so far, also, do not rest ladder on cills, even to get that bit higher, buy a ladder stay that can rest just under, gives you more height, safely.

Make sure ladder is not too steep, go up and down ladder slowly( sod who might be watching) holding on with both hands. Think carefully, especially coming down off top section to the further away, lower section.

Be safe and good luck..............Jake
Exeter, Devon

lucymulligan

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 06:47:37 pm »
thanks for all your post guys...on my ladder it says DO NOT STAND ON TOP FOUR RUNGS but on ladder saftey web site it says top three .... any comments would be recieved gratefully
i have a 3 part extension alloy ladder..... i have brought a ladder max (added bonus of easy acces to equip) am going to charge £6 for 2 beds and 8 for 3 beds...anything else i will make up as i go ...... got loads of advice off of here ,its great   im only doing part time till summer then i can build up my customer base ..i got this statistic from somewhere that says 1000 people a month go to hospital after an accident on a ladder ...how many of these are WC. (my mum is probably 500 of those ha ha she is accident prone  , she fell out the loft the other week )

C Senor

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 07:00:37 pm »
If you're going to squeegee the tops, get a Bucket on a belt. It will keep your hands free for climbing.

:)

Mike_G

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 07:05:22 pm »
I use a 3 piece ladder as well, on most houses I only need to use 2 parts. Can you split your ladder into pieces? My ladder can be split down but whilst it is lighter and easier to carry if your ladder can be split dont bother as it will be more secure as 3 parts just because of the extra weight, hope this make sense. Also if you do need to use the third part make sure you lock the top part as it can work itself free when dropping the middle part and it might smack you on the head and I am talking from experience!

tatman

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 07:33:02 pm »
you certainly wont get any less work being female. My wife used to work with me and customers really took to it. Its great to see women window cleaners ;D

KarlJones

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 02:15:22 am »
whats the best way to keep your hands warm ?
because I am skint I am wearing thin thermal gloves with marigolds over the top tommorow morning.  Not sure how this will work. My first day out :)

I am sure a fair amount of those accidents are from window cleaners due to how many of us use ladders.  But I would think the most dangerous person on a ladder is not a window cleaner but someone who has not the slightest idea about angles and rungs.  A householder with a ladder is a dangerous thing.

My Dad is as tight as they come, he thinks my BOAB is a waste of money ?!?  yet he goes up ladders (he was 64 last week) and cleans his gutter out resting a knackered old ladder on the guttering.  He will fall once I reckon.  His attitude is "I am not scared of heights!".   I think he is representative of most ladder accidents.

You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

seanmcshane

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 06:53:42 am »
if you havent been up a ladder yet to practice, be prepared for a pretty demoralising first day!
You will be nervous at height.
You will not like taking your hands off the ladder.
You will be experimenting with correct ladder pitching and will get it wrong so may times.
Then you have to clean the window!

Dont assess your first week on potential earning power because you will take AGES to do your first couple of houses.
After your first house today, you probably would never believe me if I told you that you will be comfortably be doing 3 of them in an hour in 3 months or so.

I broke windows, stood in or knocked over buckets of water, actually prayed sometimes at top of not very high ladders on windy days, could not believe the pain in my hands on frosty mornings and was thrilled to earn £50 per day.
I stuck with it and 3 years later it is my full time occupation.
Occasionally, it gets extremely boring and cold and I have days of low motivation but so does anyone in almost any job.
It`s probably the best thing I have done work wise.

lucymulligan

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 08:33:12 am »
thanks for everyones advice i feel like im in some elite society ( dont mess with me im a window cleaner) the dog earing technique , what do you use to bend the channel ? i really hope this takes off for me ...i can handle the winters if the rest of the year im out on those sunny mornings lapping up the sun ,chatting to everyone ..working into the evening ...........yeah im there allready ....hopefully by the time my youngest goes to nursery in july i will have a bit of speed and a fair few customers .... have ordered stuff from scrim city ....YOU KNOW THE WINDOWS IN BATHROOMS THAT YOU CANT SEE OUT OFF DO YOU DO THOSE ? OR DO THEM EVERY OTHER VISIT ? its just all the ones in this street are above a porch .

seanmcshane

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 03:10:03 pm »
use an extending pole for them with squeegee/mop attached.
Or of course, WFP would be ideal but maybe wait and see how your round progresses.
DONT miss out windows.

Mike_G

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 03:48:11 pm »
I would not bother with an extending pole, if you cant reach of the ladder explain to the customer before you take on the work that you wont be able to do the ones above the porch (unless it is sturdy enough to stand on) for obvious reasons, if it is only the bathroom I am sure they will be ok. (tell them you have not included it in the price) get used to doing ladder work before you start carrying poles up it.

seanmcshane

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 05:27:09 pm »
I meant use it from the ground, not from a ladder ???

lucymulligan

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 05:34:24 pm »
was all hyped up last week to start this week and all we`ve had is wind and rain and now going to have snow ..
anyway will be up there asap ...... got a poker night on tuesday have to bet little

Mike_G

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 05:57:23 pm »
Sorry Sean, had visions of Lucy hanging on to her ladder whilst trying to pole the bathroom window.  Wouldn't bother from ground floor either though I cant imagine it would clean up to well from ground floor and above a porch.

seanmcshane

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2007, 07:14:47 pm »
No, I agree it wouldn`t be too good a finish but I think the customers will expect all windows to be cleaned. One of the biggest moans I hear about previous window cleaners was missing windows.

lucymulligan

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2007, 02:08:35 pm »
the wingow is above the porch above the front door and the window is more to the left its not central so if i put the ladder to the left i should be ok ............ i see zurich have window cleaning as the most dangerous job . my husband is in the forces wait till i tell him that one " look love , my job needs skill adrenaline and guts ... now wheres the credit card "
i just ordered some stuff from scrim city and it just got delivered...do i have to ask for a VAT reciept or do they send it on after the stuff has arrived

Mike_G

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2007, 04:54:00 pm »
Receipt should be there somewhere, normally wrapped up under your name and address label.

seanmcshane

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2007, 06:15:59 pm »
doesn`t matter about VAT. That is only required when you are VAT registered and can claim back what you have paid in VAT.
The receipt should be kept and offest at end of financial year as a deductible expense.

KarlJones

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2007, 12:39:23 am »
Start asking for reciepts on everything you buy.  Your not interested in VAT, but what you are interested in is the total.  It reduces your profit.  You pay income tax on your profit.

lucymulligan

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2007, 11:31:57 am »
got public liability  insurance ....what about accident  any ideas whos the best ....we got no snow here its really sunny but bloody freezing .... tommorrow be my first day ....brough a wicked snowboarders jacket to keep me warm ...  any of you guys wear tights ?? ha ha do you reckon i should get some overalls

Mike_G

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2007, 03:30:32 pm »
I dont wear tights but I have heard they are very good for keeping you warm though. Dont know about accident insurance (personal) either and as for overalls, I would not worry about spending much on things like that until you decide you really can or indeed want to stick at it. Forecast looks a lot milder for tomorrow so you should be ok. Good luck, have you got much to do?

marc al

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2007, 11:03:26 am »
  I am brave enough to admit to having worn tights under my trousers when it gets very cold - they work very well.

As for personal accident insurance, I am led to believe that it is very expensive, although I have never looked myself.

steve k

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2007, 10:09:39 pm »
I pay £26 per month for £1200 per month sickness/injury pay for 12 months

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2007, 12:17:17 am »
I pay £26 per month for £1200 per month sickness/injury pay for 12 months

That's not bad at all!!!! What's the name of the insurer? Man, when I get married I def. will get that, better be safe then sorry!!!

steve k

lucymulligan

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2007, 07:38:04 am »
ok first day went bad ! best day of weather but hubbby and two year old said in a nutshell that they would rather i wait till i got my accident insurance out (fair enough) so done our windows again . my ladder extends about a foot over the window sill cant reach windows to well unless i stand on third rung is this safe ?? ladder says do not stand on top four rungs ......P.S some of you guys are up really early in the morning

steve k

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2007, 09:18:45 am »
were your customers expecting you yesterday? ???

lucymulligan

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2007, 07:36:29 pm »
only all the people in my road but there all my mates , i will see them all tommorrow at mums n tots ..its cool they wont be miffed or anything ...... what rung do you stand on do you stand on the top three .. ?

wimbledonhandyman

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2007, 08:06:25 pm »
Hi Lucy,

Good luck to you in your new venture. Two bits of advice I would offer for you to keep in mind while you build up the experiance.

1) What if? Apply this to each situation you come across and try and work out what might happen if you put the ladder up and used it as you can work out what may go wrong on you as you work. Say for example, resting on plastic gutters, it may slip sideways so find an alternative way of siting the ladder more safely for example but take all factors in such as weather, ground condition etc.

2) Does it feel right? If you get up there and it don't feel right question why. Your better off coming down and adjusting the ladder rather than carrying on and risking a fall.

Only when you have got the experiance under your belt will access at height become second nature. Better to be slow than risk an accident I say and even after 25 years plus of ladder climbimg, I still ask these questions of myself.

Good luck - Steve

CARPE DIEM QUAM MINIMUM CREDULA POSTERO.....

Mike_G

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2007, 08:52:04 pm »
If you cant reach from underneath the window and the ladder is fully extended, try putting the ladder at the side of the window but you will need to do 2 moves per window. Failing that you might need to invest in a longer ladder and put it above the window if possible

KarlJones

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2007, 01:22:11 am »
As above,  do not feel like you have to prove anything.  Two things I have learned you will say a lot...
"I will need to see it before I can quote it"
and
"I can not do that one, but will have the pole to do it by next month"
and
"You're not going to pay my wages for 10 weeks if I fall are you?"

Yes I know it is 3 things, not 2.  Get used to accepting work and then finding out later that you have miscalculated/missjudged.  If it takes 4 climbs not 2 then do it in 4,  do not risk the 2.  It takes a minute ot two to move your ladder, thats all.

lucymulligan

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2007, 03:09:11 pm »
thanks for all your advice .... its kinda weird ...i got all my kit out on sat morning ready to go and then hubby came out and said " oh what if you die or need looking after for the rest of your life ...blah blah" i see his point that money would make things easier but it made me stop and think and question my judgement ...am i brave or just plain stupid .....saying that when i was a kid i did use to climb a tree then think "sh*t how am i gonna get down " ...i always got down though the only time i ever broke a bone was when i fell of me bike ...  does anyone think men just have more confidence when it comes to  dangerous stuff

RO-Sheen

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2007, 03:22:18 pm »
Hi Lucy

make sure your ladder is positioned at 75 deg from the building. This angle is recommended from Health and Safety. If you can, use a sandbag over the bottom rung to weigh it down or  you can buy a 'ladderstopper'. These measures will help prevent the ladder from slipping underneath you.
And needless to say, dont take risks by overstretching. Its really not worth the fall and the pain when you can easily move it.
Formerly known as GARGAAX

Mr.G

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2007, 01:49:04 am »
you're not supposed to stand on the top 3 rungs, as far as i know.

Ian Rochester

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2007, 04:20:05 am »
Lucy,

Good to hear you are starting off, where in Hampshire are you, I used to be based at Middle Wallop in the 80's.

My best piece of advise is....... try and find a window cleaner on this forum who lives reasonably close to you and spend a day or two with him/her.  You will be amazed how much you will learn from just working with him/her for a short time.

You're more than welcome to come and spend a day with my lads.........but we're up in North Northumberland and if you are feeling the cold in Hampshire then trust me, you don't want to be cleaning windows up here at the moment.

Bit more advise, use a BOAB and pouches and also get one of the Unger zip up pouches for keeping your book or PDA and money in.  Once you have a reasonable sized business invest in George and a pda, well worth it.

Good luck

Ian

lucymulligan

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2007, 08:49:06 pm »
thanks for everyones advice ...havnt been on for a few days as rabbit chewed through internet wires

Mike_G

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2007, 09:07:06 pm »
Have you been out yet Lucy?

lucymulligan

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2007, 07:32:28 pm »
yes yes yes .....out today ..... absolutley fan-bl£$%dy-tastic
on top of world ...confidence is right up there ...
all this started because at my last three houses i could never get a window cleaner ...and joking around at mums and tots i said "i dont know why i dont start up a window cleaning business " and everyone said if i did, i could do there windows so here i am ... i got two litlle boys who are 1 and 3 and i need to go back to work for sanitys sake ... so i invested 400 notes in getting set up ( need a better ladder though ) first it seemed great but for a while i began to wonder if i had been a bit stupid and maybee i should just get a normal womans job but after today i can wait to get started on proper customers not just my mates from mums and tots .... got some proper boots...samsons ,steel toe and mid sole ...made the world of difference .they got ladder grips on bottom .....this is so cool

combat cleaning

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2007, 09:24:30 am »
Well done Lucy, glad it went well for you.
Which quarters are you doing in Hampshire?
Keep at it and it will grow for you.
Best wishes.

lucymulligan

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2007, 07:36:59 am »
at the moment im just sticking to the army quarters where i live as if i put it all on a rota i would always be ok just carring my ladder about from house to house ... across the main road  about 1/4 mile theres all the civvie houses which i belive has a window cleaner (but he just shows up every three months !!) if all goes well i will expand over there but i would be able to make a living off of the army pad easy (if i got 5 out of 10 houses )

Tosh

« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2007, 06:36:10 pm »
Lucy, I left the army four years ago and started up window cleaning.

You're the first 'pad's wife' I've heard of doing this!

Just out of interest, where are you based and what Regiment/Corps is your better half in?

lucymulligan

« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2007, 08:01:59 am »
hubbys in RLC down on south coast ... i decided to go back to work now our kids are 3 and 1. but even on my hubbys wage we cant afford a small house or anything . we missed the boat for property ladder . but we got a good posting at the mo and hubby wont be deploying for at least 2 years .. do you miss the army ? did you do your full 22 ?

Tosh

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2007, 05:10:18 pm »
Hi Lucy,

I was originally in the RLC (RCT as it was then) and joined in 1986 as a Junior Leader in Colerne.

I may know your hubby!  Was he ever stationed in Bielefeld?

Tosh

« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2007, 05:15:54 pm »
hubbys in RLC down on south coast ... i decided to go back to work now our kids are 3 and 1. but even on my hubbys wage we cant afford a small house or anything . we missed the boat for property ladder . but we got a good posting at the mo and hubby wont be deploying for at least 2 years .. do you miss the army ? did you do your full 22 ?

Sorry, I missed your other questions:

I miss the army, but not the tours away; or the 'damn about factor'; the duties; the forced fun or the discipline.

I left as a SSgt in a Warrant Officer's post, so was doing okay, but didn't do my full 22 years (I did 17 years).  I just had enough and wanted out.  If I don't know your hubby, I bet we know mutual people.

How long has your hubby got to do his full 22? 

I also know what you mean about buying a house; house prices are crazy!  Apparantly, the average first time buyer now needs at least 35K as a deposit, and even then the mortgage will not be cheap; depending on which part of the country you wish to live.

lucymulligan

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2007, 07:18:20 pm »
yeah everyone knows every one hubby is called lee mulligan but bet ya you know the same people i know he has done ireland kosovo quatar egypt andover south cerney chicksands and before i met him i cant remember he is 31 so you must know some people .he has been in 12 years .. done my sons school windows for free today  ( he is 3 so the pre school is small ) got  LOADS of business oportunities from it ..... people seeing me do it pluss the teachers .... you got to speculate to accumulate !!!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2007, 07:32:59 pm »
Hello Lucy - welcome aboard - I haven't noticed you over here in FAQ until tonight. You sound very enthusiastic. Go careful up that ladder in the icy/wet conditions and bear in mind that decking is lethal for ladders slipping on.
It's a game of three halves!

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2007, 04:56:12 am »
Lucy

I would second that please be carefull on the ladders.

Do a search on the hse site for some ladder safety leaflets and advice.

I will try to find you some links.

Have you considered wfp ?

Dave

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2007, 04:59:03 am »
here is a good place to start

http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2005/e05141.htm

lucymulligan

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2007, 07:29:34 am »
i have read loads of ladder saftey . i got a ladder mat and a stand off. plus proper boots .. was gonna go on a diet but figure the extra weight will sink me in the ground a bit more ( im only 10 st could probably do with a bit more on ) ...i spent alot of time practicing going up and down . gonna take it slow . i know there was 7 deaths from falls BELOW head height last year .. oh my god ?? i like living dangerously ..,.. i just want to work outdoors .... PS what you doing up at 5AM i have two boys that drag me up at 6  ....thats bad enough

combat cleaning

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2007, 01:26:13 pm »
Hi Lucy
Regarding ladder safety, I also do quarters and never use a ladder!
From the sound of it your houses are like mine with a washroom window over the porch.
I use an ettore two section Reach extension pole and a backflip on all upper windows which is fast and safe.
The poles and backflip can be seen on a suppliers site if its confusing you.
On all the houses I do this reaches all the windows and the customers are fine with me using it, and you are complying with the TWAH directive and not freezing at the top of a ladder.
From your descriptions to tosh I dont think that we are on the same site!
Guessing Port and Maritime.
Best wishes.

lucymulligan

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2007, 05:15:28 pm »
mmmm....dont be giving away my top secret location .... ha ha
seen recently a couple of old guys with a ford mondeo with a ladder on the top but every time i see them they are eating pies and reading the sport or nuts or something .,..but figure they are my competition

Tosh

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2007, 06:45:32 pm »
I dont think that we are on the same site!
Guessing Port and Maritime.

Nah, he's a Movcon (Movement controller); judging by his past postings; this is his first, according to lucy to Marchwood.

Combat cleaning, you must be an ex-Trog to know that!

lucymulligan

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2007, 08:19:13 pm »
yeah you guessed ....was only being shady as i didnt think hubby would be best pleased me telling everyone where we live but he said its ok ...........you guessed anyway ....!!! you should of joined the inc core.. got a full days work tommorrow ........cant wait .. love reading this site its really good and funny

combat cleaning

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2007, 09:28:24 am »
eX Donkey Walloper!, Kings Troop Royal Horse Artillery.
Live in Hampshire and do the Middle Wallop Quarters.
Sailed into Marchwood in 1972 with a load of Polo Ponies from Malta when the Mintoff thing took off.