CleanClear

Split charge relay....
« on: October 31, 2017, 06:58:28 pm »
I run a Berlingo, no idea of the alternator output. I run a 85AH Lesuire battery for my pump. Sole operator, running max 4 hours a day....i appreciate i'll still need to bench charge but will this be the jobby for me.....average 10 miles per day in van?
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

Spruce

Re: Split charge relay....
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 07:30:35 pm »
Thats fine. The most important thing is to ensure you have some decent cable thickness.
There is an ebay supplier, Split-charge-systems that supply them as a kit. If they aren't listed, email him through ebay and he will sort you out. Nice helpful guy.

These relays are bi directional. This means that they will charge your van's battery as well if you leave the leisure battery in the van to 'bench' charge it.

The relay will come with an earth wire to attach to the body. If you want total control over the function of this VSR, then put an inline on/off switch into this line. If you switch the switch off it will stop the vsr from operating at all.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

p1w1

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 08:05:07 pm »
The one i use is from the same guy Spruce mentioned he sells full kits with the appropriate cable etc needed, very helpful guy doesn't sell you what you dont need and his kits come with all instructions needed. This is his website http://www.simplysplitcharge.co.uk/shop/?24v%20Split%20Charge%20Systems

mufcglen

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 09:26:32 pm »
As above I’ve bought a kit from the guy too and the one you’ve pictured, great bit of kit and I’ve never had to charge my leisure battery in 2-3 years since fitting it and I generally do 5-6 miles a day.

Spruce

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 07:32:05 am »
As above I’ve bought a kit from the guy too and the one you’ve pictured, great bit of kit and I’ve never had to charge my leisure battery in 2-3 years since fitting it and I generally do 5-6 miles a day.

After you have let the leisure battery rest for around 4 hours it would be good to take voltage reading so you can see exactly how fully charged your battery is. It would be interesting to know this because we have never been able to do this with our same VSR doing a similar daily mileage.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

mufcglen

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 01:04:40 pm »

After you have let the leisure battery rest for around 4 hours it would be good to take voltage reading so you can see exactly how fully charged your battery is. It would be interesting to know this because we have never been able to do this with our same VSR doing a similar daily mileage.

ive never checked to be honest but all i know is ive never needed to charge it ever since ive fitted the split relay kit and all i run is one pump off the battery and a powerup reel too and its been bang on!

duncan h

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 09:00:30 pm »
I also got the same one from him. 140 amp 7mtr. Not had to charge leisure battery but I have. About every 5 or 6 months I charge van and leisure battery.
In winter it will be more. Batteries and cold don't mix well

CleanClear

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 06:00:49 pm »

Don Kee

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 06:26:48 pm »
What size fuses are you using?

I would imagine you’d have 100amp fuses with that 140amp VSR?

If so then you need wiring rated at a minimum 100amps (I’d personally go for over that for peace of mind) and the wiring you’ve linked is only 30amp rated so it’s far too thin.
It’ll burn out before your battery gets any charge...

Added: don’t/didn’t they sell that split charger as a full kit or did you just buy the VSR on it’s own?

CleanClear

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 06:30:03 pm »

If so then you need wiring rated at a minimum 100amps (I’d personally go for over that for peace of mind) and the wiring you’ve linked is only 30amp rated so it’s far too thin.

Ok, is it around 10mm wire/cable i need ? Havn't got the fuses yet but i was going to get what they call a strip fuse ? Although it is a 140 amp VSR i assumed it would only run about 90 Amps or less, just what the alternator can put out ? Also the earth wire which is part of the VSR is really thin, i'll bet its not 2mm ?

CleanClear

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 06:30:54 pm »
No i just bought the VSR on its own.

Don Kee

Re: Split charge relay.... New
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 06:39:16 pm »

Ok, is it around 10mm wire/cable i need ? Havn't got the fuses yet but i was going to get what they call a strip fuse ? Although it is a 140 amp VSR i assumed it would only run about 90 Amps or less, just what the alternator can put out ? Also the earth wire which is part of the VSR is really thin, i'll bet its not 2mm ?

The earth is just to ground it, as long as its a clean earth you’ll be fine.
There shouldn’t be much current running through an earth wire, its more there as a fail safe to stop you getting an electrical shock so it doesn’t have to be a beefy wire.

I think this is the stuff I used when I fitted a VSR to my old van - https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/P00831.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiuLJ886v1wIVo7DtCh24PQLKEAkYASABEgK53_D_BwE

Find out from the supplier what fuses you need mate, too low and they’ll blow all the time, too high and you’ll cause chaos but I’d have thought 90/100amp fuses should do it.

I wouldn’t reinvent the wheel either. Just get two inline fuse holders that fit blade fuses. Stick them as close to each battery as you can on the posi wires...