Jonny 87

Re: DIY diesel heater.....
« Reply #180 on: February 28, 2019, 06:56:24 am »
You might be alright though as Plumweb sent me a 3 bar first time round in error , they did then send the 2 bar at no charge and told me to keep the 3 bar aswell so win , win  ;D

Kerching. That doesn’t happen very often. 👍
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

P @ F

« Reply #181 on: March 03, 2019, 05:11:10 pm »
a900 , whats going on with your build at the moment ?
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

P @ F

« Reply #182 on: March 04, 2019, 02:36:00 pm »
It’s so nice not having to top up a 5L can every day now , now I have the 10L supplied tank fitted I only need to fill up every 4 days 😊

a900

« Reply #183 on: March 08, 2019, 01:32:11 pm »
a900 , whats going on with your build at the moment ?

Got my egr cooler inline with the exhaust to preheat the water. It’s Cooling the exhaust down enough to cause water vapour  to drip out. Exhaust temps Before egr install 80.c. after egr install 35c.

Notice the extra efficientcy as I require a faster flow of water to recirculate back to the tank to stop the heater shutting down through overheating.

I’ve also switched from 20% waste oil and red diesel to 20% waste oil and Kerosene. Will see how that gets on as far as reducing the eventual burner clogging up. Also installed a fuel filter before the heater pump. If I still get clogging after a few months I will reduce the waste oil percentage. Kerosene is costing me 68p per litre so can’t complain. Cheaper than when I was running gas boiler and safer fuel to use.

a900

« Reply #184 on: March 08, 2019, 01:33:57 pm »
It’s so nice not having to top up a 5L can every day now , now I have the 10L supplied tank fitted I only need to fill up every 4 days 😊

I started with a 5l container too and quickly learnt the same.

Very impressed. Your set up is looking neat. How you getting on with the set up?

P @ F

« Reply #185 on: March 08, 2019, 02:33:01 pm »
It’s going very well now, I have now been able to fit a partial cover to the fan without shutdown occurring due to it cooling the heat sensor too much , it has also made the thing a lot quieter!
I can get between 30 and 60 on demand now too , using the settings on the lcd controller, I don’t ramp it all the way up anymore though as it got that hot at the burner tube a while back it melted a hole in my tank , luckily the water level was down below and as I caught it while hot I was able to trowel it back with my mole grips 🤣🤣

Got my ingredients for the next model together now , at least my connie will be warm this weekend!

a900

« Reply #186 on: March 15, 2019, 12:44:05 pm »
Great what’s your aim with Mk2 or 3 ?

Hotter water? Less fuel used? Beater? Quieter?

After using the kerosene for a week I’m super impressed. Starts really clean. Defo would recommend anyone running one of these heaters to use Kero. My research tells me it’s a cleaner burning fuel

Also with it being lighter than diesel it should blend better for me with waste oil. Time will prove this

P @ F

« Reply #187 on: March 15, 2019, 08:01:28 pm »

After using the kerosene for a week I’m super impressed. Starts really clean. Defo would recommend anyone running one of these heaters to use Kero. My research tells me it’s a cleaner burning fuel

Also with it being lighter than diesel it should blend better for me with waste oil. Time will prove this
Its Mk3 that I'm toying with now , just wanted to see what the hot air blower alone would do temp wise , first I used the heat exchanger from the L5 inside an old surround sound sub box , this didnt do much .
Then I coiled 60m of Gardiner green inside the box on its own and got 20 up to 45 on demand , not shabby but in conjunction with the original exhaust output it has scope , also meaning that the heater as you get it would not have to be cut up at all .
Tell me more about kero , can you use it straight , can you mix with diesel , where do you get the stuff ?

a900

« Reply #188 on: March 15, 2019, 08:18:17 pm »
Doing research on boat forums and the like people use Kero straight and find it’s cleaner burning so requires less maintenance. Burns slightly hotter but has slightly less energy per litre because it’s slightly less dense than diesel.

You can get it anywhere that sells 28 second heating oil because that’s what it is. So companies that sell it for home boilers. Just shop around for prices. Some don’t like selling in smaller quantities so charge a lot more than they could.

P @ F

« Reply #189 on: March 15, 2019, 08:38:38 pm »
I have looked for it but cant seem to find it , unless I'm looking in the wrong places of course , but can it be say mixed 50/50 with diesel ?

Spruce

« Reply #190 on: March 15, 2019, 08:40:48 pm »

Its Mk3 that I'm toying with now , just wanted to see what the hot air blower alone would do temp wise , first I used the heat exchanger from the L5 inside an old surround sound sub box , this didnt do much .
Then I coiled 60m of Gardiner green inside the box on its own and got 20 up to 45 on demand , not shabby but in conjunction with the original exhaust output it has scope , also meaning that the heater as you get it would not have to be cut up at all .
Tell me more about kero , can you use it straight , can you mix with diesel , where do you get the stuff ?

No one sells it in small quantities in our area. 500 liters is the smallest amount the suppliers will deliver and they require it to go into a diesel central heating approved diesel storage tank. I understand that its their responsibility to partially ensure (do their bit) that the oil is being used for heating only and not in a road vehicle.

Of course all this is much easier if you have oil central heating; you just need to syphon your requirements off.  :D

The marinas sell red diesel. For taxation purposes they split its use into a percentage for propulsion and the remainder heating. If I remember the split agreed by the Receiver is 60% propulsion and 40% heating. The tax on the heating element is less than the propulsion element. You can specify 100% heating, but you can expect a surprise visit from VOSA and they will dip all your vehicles diesel tanks.
Canal live aboards are quite happy with that split as most don't use much diesel for central heating - its mainly coal or one of many solid fuel derivitives available these days.

Inland Marinas are required by law to sell a higher grade red diesel. Its much kinder on our Webasto diesel heaters than the less environmentally stuff was a few years back. But I understand some Marinas on the coast can still sell the less environmentally friendly stuff (lower grade) as they expect the diesel to be used at sea.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

a900

« Reply #191 on: March 15, 2019, 08:54:29 pm »
I use this company https://www.rix.co.uk/locations/

Turn up remind them of your account, tell them what you want, pay and get invoice. Then take window cleaning barrels to the unit and staff fill them for you. Really friendly and helpful staff.

Within 30 miles of me there were 2 suppliers and I’m a fairly rural area. I just chose the one I passed regular. Who happens to be cheaper.

P @ F

« Reply #192 on: August 21, 2019, 09:05:44 pm »
Today I decided to check what the actual power consumption of the heater was , I was very surprised at how little it takes  !
On start up it pulls 9 amps max for 5 minutes, then drops back to 2.5 amps per hour of use , so for my average day I should be looking at the heater pulling 15 or so amps out of the battery , my pump pulls about 15 amps over the same period, so 30 amps total for a 6 hour run !
That would explain why my battery never needs a bench charge  !
I reckon a decent battery should cope with the demand without the backup charge facility that I have .
This could well be the budget heater that requires no scr chargers or 2 x 105 ampers   ;D

Smudger

« Reply #193 on: August 21, 2019, 09:11:01 pm »
Good news - now start selling them!
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #194 on: August 21, 2019, 10:34:03 pm »

he is!.....£4.5k to you smudger! ;) ;D
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #195 on: August 21, 2019, 10:36:31 pm »
Today I decided to check what the actual power consumption of the heater was , I was very surprised at how little it takes  !
On start up it pulls 9 amps max for 5 minutes, then drops back to 2.5 amps per hour of use , so for my average day I should be looking at the heater pulling 15 or so amps out of the battery , my pump pulls about 15 amps over the same period, so 30 amps total for a 6 hour run !
That would explain why my battery never needs a bench charge  !
I reckon a decent battery should cope with the demand without the backup charge facility that I have .
This could well be the budget heater that requires no scr chargers or 2 x 105 ampers   ;D

do you think youll beat lee pryor to "a hot water system on the cheap"  rich? ;D

dazmond

« Reply #196 on: August 22, 2019, 05:42:58 pm »

on a serious note...i dont think rich will be selling them as he will be liable if anything goes wrong in regards to safety......it needs to be tested properly to meet safety requirements i would have thought.....

P @ F

« Reply #197 on: August 22, 2019, 07:25:12 pm »
Daz , any chance of you posting a pic of your heater with the cover off , I am interested in where the exhaust leaves the heater and then exits the floor more than anything.
Cheers mate  ;D

dazmond

« Reply #198 on: August 22, 2019, 07:58:49 pm »

This is the only pic I have of the guts of my heater rich....

Maybe the guys with the landscape cabinet would have better access to take better pics....

P @ F

« Reply #199 on: August 22, 2019, 08:07:43 pm »
Cheers Daz , do you know  what seals the exhaust where it goes through the van floor ?