i want to be CRB checked

can i?
how much?
how long does it take?

cannon

Re: CRB checked
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 08:30:42 pm »
http://www.crb.homeoffice.gov.uk/

30 odd pound rings a bell this was early last year and took about 12 weeks, though it doesnt always take this long.

derek west

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 09:13:10 pm »
cheers cannon, i'll give em a ring on saturday and see if i can get checked. how long back do they search?

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 09:14:38 pm »
Derek if you have kids at school you can pick the the form up from the office there. they always have the booklets info ect for parent helpers.
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

derek west

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 09:22:36 pm »
3 kids at school and one thats 3 years off. cheers steve, there on holiday this week so i'll give em a ring on sat and then pick up a form from the school on monday. can't do ewt tomorrow, i'm off to the science museum, woohooo, any excuse for a maccies on the way home.

robert meldrum

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 09:47:15 pm »
We're all checked to advanced disclosure which goes back forever. We had to as we're involved in football  and martial arts training.

It's now compulsory throughout Scotland with the rest of the UK following .......for anyone having contact with kids ( even in a minor way ) 

There's a " fatal flaw " as with most mandatory rules and regulations as many will have clear checks suggesting they're " clean " and " trustworthy " when they can be absolute rogues but like many rogues have never been caught.

Adam P

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 10:16:47 pm »
and also it allows the person to do something they shouldn't do after the check has happened as iirc you only need to get them done very 3 years, however it's much better then nothing and is the only option at the moment.

derek: if i remember correctly you can't have the check done on yourself so will need someone to do a check on you.

derek west

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 10:25:49 pm »
and also it allows the person to do something they shouldn't do after the check has happened as iirc you only need to get them done very 3 years, however it's much better then nothing and is the only option at the moment.

derek: if i remember correctly you can't have the check done on yourself so will need someone to do a check on you.

isn't that the job of the CRB? to check me and then give me some sort of certificate to say i've been checked? or am i missing something here?

Adam P

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 10:38:38 pm »
i meant that you need someone to request that you be checked, you can request a crb check to be done on yourself. i could be wrong but i've heard this a few times so believed this was it.

if you're working in a school you could get them to do the check on you

robert meldrum

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 12:12:13 am »
You request the check yourself and it's sent to you and you keep it. Others may wish to see it but it's your property .

In the case of local authorities they will ask for proof that you've been checked and have a current certificate but strangely they don't want to see it.

derek west

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 01:21:47 am »
cheers bob, thought thats how it worked, anyhoo, i'll find out saturday when i bellum.

robert meldrum

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 03:31:33 pm »
Westy,  I realise they are still relatively new in England but we've been using what was originally known as " police checks " and evolved into a moneymaking venture for the government known as Disclosures which we volunteered to take on board about 10 years ago.

When someone ( an individual ) applies to work for us we tell them they must get an advanced disclosure before we can start them.

We supply a phone number..............they make the call.............get and return the completed form with payment and get back to us when they receive their certificate.

robert meldrum

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 10:17:59 pm »
Life is clearly less complicated in Scotland .......... individuals can apply and the basic disclosure is £24.

Stu.Clem

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 10:36:51 pm »
I am recently Enhanced CRB checked as I clean school carpets.  You cannot CRB yourself  pretty sure it needs to be a recognised employer / proposer to apply on your behalf - its not expensive or hard to do and very worthwhile IMHO. You will receive a copy of the "cert" all it does in essence is list your previous criminal behaviour good bad or indifferent I dont think it is a pass or fail type affair which most think it is...

Stu

derek west

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 01:06:20 pm »
cheers paul, balls rolling. all though still sounds complicated, might try your hsbc guy if CCC can't help out. or failing that i'll try joels school. cheers again

David_Annable

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 05:18:50 pm »
Hi

I seem to remember that i got mine from Disclose Scotland.

Did a quick search, here is the link http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/apply

I got mine in my name and passed it on to the people that wanted it.

Dave
NCCA, Woolsafe, IICRC Leather Cleaning Technician