NWH

Re: Immersion elements
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2021, 02:38:37 pm »
Apart from putting fuel in the van what else do you have to pay for once you’ve got poles and spares etc on a daily basis overheads are minimal compared to a lot of other trades,I’ve got people I know that would love to only have to pay a few quid on diesel a day.

High-Tower

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2021, 03:33:01 pm »
The ‘just a few quid’ mentality is how you end spending £20k+ a year on going to work.

NWH

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2021, 03:34:37 pm »
Lol eh

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2021, 03:36:54 pm »
I think we are all intelligent and experienced enough to work out whether we need steaming hot water or not, and I reckon 99% of us don't.
However, there is more of an argument for a inexpensive, simple and effective solution to widening the scope of opportunity in subzero temperatures for working, with the added benefit of also keeping your entire system frost free. It comes in the form of a high power electric heating element (immersion) and at £4800 cheaper than a diesel water heater- makes it a very economical and attractive option. Add to that, it's also maintenance free, as simple as plug in, switch on, less expensive to run than it's diesel alternative and it becomes pretty much a no brainer for the vast majority window cleaners.
Also, at around £200/£250 all in, including parts and professional 16amp line installed from consumer unit you won't have to spend  all day, every day trying to convince everyone else and their mother that you've made the right decision!!👍
Comfortably Numb!

NWH

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2021, 03:41:11 pm »
What’s it cost to run the element though after it’s all installed.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2021, 03:44:05 pm »
If you care to read other posts in this thread you will find the answer.

Den68

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2021, 03:46:10 pm »
It’s costs peanuts on diesel to run it tbh mines plumbed into vehicle tank I hardly notice it and I do quiet a few miles and it’s always on.
Peanuts for diesel must be crumbs then for electric 😂

I had a diesel heater install in my campervan so got a good idea how much it cost to run defo more that a immersion .

Also have a Diesel heater installed in my shed 👍

I have just bought a 2kw immersion heater and  all the parts to install just over £50 👍

JandS

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2021, 03:47:42 pm »
Why does a diesel hot water system cost £5000+.........had a new boiler fitted in November for £1800 with a 10 year warranty.....I get constant hot water and it heats the house to boot.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Den68

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2021, 03:53:06 pm »
Why does a diesel hot water system cost £5000+.........had a new boiler fitted in November for £1800 with a 10 year warranty.....I get constant hot water and it heats the house to boot.

I can’t give you the answer why they are more expensive, I have  oil heating/water system  at home we don’t have gas in the village  and anything to do with oil costs a fortune,

Good thing about my diesel heater in the shed as it works perfect on heating oil which is currently 40p a litre.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2021, 03:53:16 pm »

For me, at 13.5p per Kwh it's 40.5p per hour and a max of 8 hours heat time. So a worst case scenario of £3.24 per day. An average winter in the Ten years I've been using it would normally require it being used about 15/20 times to keep me going throughout.  I've only needed to use it twice this winter so far. So, you could say, at most £70 to £100 per winter in electric would be more than enough for most people.
Comfortably Numb!

Ched

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2021, 04:20:47 pm »
Simply because they can charge that much for putting a heater in a box!!!!
There are DIY systems are available for about £1,300 that is almost all you need - NEW Webasto Thermo Top Evo 5 including pump, heat exchanger, header tank, controller etc.  Granted that's ONLY a 5KW system but it's a lot cheaper than some companies are selling the same kit for!!!!!

chris turner

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2021, 05:54:19 pm »
I nearly went down the diesel route but have instead gone for immersion, albeit the more expensive route of getting an insulated tank with in built immersion from stephen scargill at toolcraft.
Immersion just makes much more sense to me, cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, less to go wrong and let's not forget diesel is a dying fuel, will be very expensive in 10 years when most big companies stop producing it.

Smudger

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2021, 06:17:56 pm »

I can get 60c within 5 minutes

;D
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Smudger

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2021, 06:21:57 pm »

Exactly - I have hot boxes for the pressure washers - 150 degrees - these cost around one third of what is being charged for "warm" water on tap

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Smudger

« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2021, 06:22:50 pm »
Not being funny guys and I know you lot always say I harp on about hot water but I can achieve 60 degrees within 10 minutes with my diesel heater.

I don't want 60 degree water - simple

Smudger

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2021, 06:28:19 pm »
20 notes a week to buy a diesel heater over 5 years and regardless of what you hear about servicing costs etc it’s rubbish,when the unit comes as new it’ll give you no problems for years especially for the years you’ll be paying it back for.
How much a week to run an emersion unit a week can’t be much different in cost maybe more.

ongoing cost as well Nigel....

using diesel to run it ( more than the electric cost of an immersion)
you used to constantly gripe that brushes are knackered within weeks ( because you run too hot )
more expensive batteries to run the system and you've buggered them up as well..
Plus you have to charge them every night
so far more costs than you try to let on

Darran

dazmond

« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2021, 06:29:34 pm »

Mine was 4.5k.....its not just the 9kw webasto thermo pro 90 heater though is it?(they cost £1300 on their own!)£750 was VAT....then the metal cabinet it sits in,frost stat digital controller,heat exchanger,hoses,fittings,exhaust and air inlet pipe,etc,temperature probe,2 batteries and boxes,smart battery to battery charger and labour......

I'm very happy with mine....

I have no problem with window cleaners using immersion elements either....

Each to their own......👍
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2021, 06:34:03 pm »

Exactly - I have hot boxes for the pressure washers - 150 degrees - these cost around one third of what is being charged for "warm" water on tap

Darran

I know a pressure washing guy....he doesnt use his hot box too often because it gives off too much steam!(he can't see what he s cleaning!)...so he says....😄
price higher/work harder!

NWH

« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2021, 06:53:21 pm »
I might put an element in the garage static too get it hotter 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

tlwcs

« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2021, 08:00:09 pm »
I might put an element in the garage static too get it hotter 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
You won’t have time, your always on here