dazmond

digital temperature reading on hydroheat
« on: December 18, 2017, 09:58:11 pm »
i noticed today the digital temperature reading wouldnt go above 30c even when i kept the boiler running for 30 mins when i was having my lunch(return to tank)despite the temperature dial being on full.(flow on 010)

is this normal for a 9.9kw diesel heater in cold weather?or is there another setting on the digital display that i dont know about to get the water hotter?is the boiler running in half heat mode?no mention of it in the grippa instruction manual?
price higher/work harder!

Splash & dash

Re: digital temperature reading on hydroheat
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 10:03:00 pm »
i noticed today the digital temperature reading wouldnt go above 30c even when i kept the boiler running for 30 mins when i was having my lunch(return to tank)despite the temperature dial being on full.(flow on 010)

is this normal for a 9.9kw diesel heater in cold weather?or is there another setting on the digital display that i dont know about to get the water hotter?is the boiler running in half heat mode?no mention of it in the grippa instruction manual?

Have you got the valve on the heat exchanger fully open ???

dazmond

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 10:33:02 pm »

Have you got the valve on the heat exchanger fully open ???

the dial on the side of the heater wont turn anymore so i presumed it was on full power.ill have a play with it tomorrow.

JandS

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 10:53:23 pm »
Think I'll stick with cold....
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

mark coates

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 11:24:45 pm »
the digital temperature on the hydroheat system reads the temperature of the water in the tank. if you have a 600l tank it will take a massive amount of energy to heat all the water in said tank to 80degrees for example. this is not the way the hydroheat system works, it heats a small amount of water (the water that passes through the heat exchanger) on the way to your hose reel and out through your pole. because it is only required to heat this small amount of water, when turned right up, it can comfortably heat the water to 80degrees more or less.

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 07:12:36 am »
the digital temperature on the hydroheat system reads the temperature of the water in the tank. if you have a 600l tank it will take a massive amount of energy to heat all the water in said tank to 80degrees for example. this is not the way the hydroheat system works, it heats a small amount of water (the water that passes through the heat exchanger) on the way to your hose reel and out through your pole. because it is only required to heat this small amount of water, when turned right up, it can comfortably heat the water to 80degrees more or less.

i think your wrong there mate.the digital temperature reading on the liquid logic controller is NOT the temperature in your main tank!its the temperature of the water in the header tank in the boiler that then comes out of your hose reel.

basically the temperature mixing dial on the side of my heater is on full but im only getting warm water at brush end which is ok at this time of the year but i want to be able to turn the temperature up to 50c in the spring and summer esp for add on jobs.

oliver said these heaters can heat the water up to 60c but im not finding thats the case at the moment.

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 07:46:54 am »
I don't think the controller measures the on demand heat.   Mine shows around 25 c after its been running a bit with water coming out of coiled hose hot   if it was only 30c it would be luke warm.

The sensor is placed where it will work best for frost stat to avoid it turning on and off too many times.  The frost stat comes in at 2c and runs until the water increases another 5c.   

Not 100% sure where the sensor is though.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

Jonny 87

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 07:57:14 am »
Must admit.......

Grippa tank seem awesome at customer service, and will of course sort out any issues, but that’s both daz and slacky that have just had the systems fitted, and both are having issues.

Bit concerning considering the cost, and also the fact that for me I’m about 2 hours drive away from the Scotland fitting centre, so not just round the corner for a simple fix.

Hmmm.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Slacky

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 08:14:34 am »
Admittedly mine is second-hand. I bought it from a forum member.

This sensor fault on mine was diagnosed when it was fitted, however Grippa didn't have the part in stock. They're coming down to Hampshire to fit it, no labour charge, just paying for the part.

Thats great customer service at no fault of their own.

dazmond

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 08:19:37 am »
I don't think the controller measures the on demand heat.   Mine shows around 25 c after its been running a bit with water coming out of coiled hose hot   if it was only 30c it would be luke warm.

The sensor is placed where it will work best for frost stat to avoid it turning on and off too many times.  The frost stat comes in at 2c and runs until the water increases another 5c.   

if you press your liquid logic controller a few times( press enter to see BAT then press enter again and TMP  should show then press again and you should get a temp reading)this starts to climb when you turn your heater on when its plugged into the return to tank valve.after 15 mins or so itll climb up to 30c but the water at brush end is warm(but not scolding hot).it wont go above 30c despite the mixer valve on full and the water wont go any warmer than warm.

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 08:22:38 am »
Must admit.......

Grippa tank seem awesome at customer service, and will of course sort out any issues, but that’s both daz and slacky that have just had the systems fitted, and both are having issues.

Bit concerning considering the cost, and also the fact that for me I’m about 2 hours drive away from the Scotland fitting centre, so not just round the corner for a simple fix.

Hmmm.

the remedial fuel issue was a ford problem not a grippatank problem.they ve been fantastic to deal with from start to finish.all sorted now. :)

the temperature issue is probably something simple im missing.im just getting used to the system.

Slacky

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 08:22:41 am »
I checked my output water temp over the weekend Daz, it was running at about 45.

Oliver @ GrippaTank

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 08:24:13 am »

Good morning,

The above is correct - the sensor and temperature reading on the controller is not the temperature output on the heater, but rather the temperature of the water coming at the coldest part of the system, where the output of the water tank is. The reader on the controller is monitoring this for a frost scenario.

At heater output point, the heater will happily heat up to very hot temperatures (upto on the water output - 60-70c), although the actual heater itself heats to 80c. However there is two important notes to remember:

- The Heaters are a on demand flow based heating system - so reducing your water flow by 5 points on the controller can increase your output temperature by about 20%. Our recommended flow rate is 25-30 on our controllers.

- At this time of year (particularly in this cold snap), the incoming water from the water tank is much colder,  so it takes longer for the heater to get upto full temperature.

- As soon as water exits the heater output on the side of the cabinet, you are losing heat especially  when it’s very cold. The more hose that is pulled out of the reel, the colder it will get - especially if the HydroHeat Hot hose is not fitted - although any hose will lose temperature along cold ground.

@dazmond @slacky - please do contact us via support@grippatank.cp.uk or on 01223 790049 if you require any technicial support and we would be very happy to help you.
www.grippatank.co.uk - The home of the GrippaMAX crash tested cleaning system. Contact us on 0800 098 8407 or enquiries@grippatank.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 12:36:29 pm »
Thanks for clearing that up.  :)

I found an old tds meter this morning with a temperature reading on it so I checked the water at brush end and it was reading 30c(with around 60m of hose out with ambient air temperature of 4c)and the controller was reading 17c.i must admit I was slightly confused!!

I will now just ignore the controller reading from now on.  :)

NWH

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 03:40:19 pm »
I have a frost stat streamline flow controller and is as accurate as a TDS meter,I can’t thank Grippa enough that smart B2B smart charger they’ve done for me is spot on fantastic company I’ll only ever use them now.

dazmond

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 06:11:30 pm »
i checked the temperature of the water at brush end again this afternoon, flow control on 30 (around 60m of hose off the reel again)ambient air temperature 6c and it was reading 35c which is warm water(but not hot).i think a lot of heat is being lost from the hose(i use standard gardiner yellow microbore).

oliver told me that temperatures at brush end would vary from 20-30c on a cold winters days to 50-60c in spring/summer.(depending on how much hose is off the reel)

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2017, 06:18:10 pm »
i checked the temperature of the water at brush end again this afternoon, flow control on 30 (around 60m of hose off the reel again)ambient air temperature 6c and it was reading 35c which is warm water(but not hot).i think a lot of heat is being lost from the hose(i use standard gardiner yellow microbore).

oliver told me that temperatures at brush end would vary from 20-30c on a cold winters days to 50-60c in spring/summer.(depending on how much hose is off the reel)

Yes probably worth changing your hose mate.  Take a temp reading from coiled hose without the pole.  Mine is scolding hot. 
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

dazmond

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2017, 06:48:25 pm »

Yes probably worth changing your hose mate.  Take a temp reading from coiled hose without the pole.  Mine is scolding hot.

what hose do you use paul?

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2017, 06:53:00 pm »
I use the 6mm red supplied by grippa.  You can see it in the photo on that pic thread you put up.

I do find it a little heavier and more rubbery but it's worth it.

dazmond

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2017, 06:58:49 pm »
I use the 6mm red supplied by grippa.  You can see it in the photo on that pic thread you put up.

I do find it a little heavier and more rubbery but it's worth it.

ah yes its the red thermobore.i used to have the same hose but gardiners only sold it in 8mm years ago.what a nightmare.far too heavy.although the 6mm would probably be ok.cheers mate. :)