harleyman

prepareing van for winter
« on: October 17, 2018, 01:41:58 pm »
preparing your van for winter what do you guys do, when I lived down in England I had the luxury of  a drive  and I could put an oil filled rad in the back sorted, but since I have moved I need to re think I now live in a 3 story flat at the top van is parked at side of the road so I need some ideas apart from draining down hoses remove kit every night any new ideas would be great I have no access to electric

nathankaye

Re: prepareing van for winter
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 01:44:38 pm »
Once you've drained your hose, throw/pack an old duvet over them.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 03:03:34 pm »
As Daz would say just pop out and buy  grippa hot water system - simples (IMO)

That’s a tough one for you - in days of old people used greenhouse paraffin heaters - these worked but are smelly otherwise I’d be looking for a garage lockup to park in

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

alank

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 03:07:45 pm »
Have you always lived and worked down south?

High-Tower

Smudger

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 03:32:56 pm »
Looks good

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

SB Cleaning

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 03:35:56 pm »
preparing your van for winter what do you guys do, when I lived down in England I had the luxury of  a drive  and I could put an oil filled rad in the back sorted, but since I have moved I need to re think I now live in a 3 story flat at the top van is parked at side of the road so I need some ideas apart from draining down hoses remove kit every night any new ideas would be great I have no access to electric
You will struggle with out a heater of it goes really cold no matter what you do.

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 03:43:32 pm »
How do u produce water?

Either the diesel heater frost protection system or move to a more suitable place so you can run your busness.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

SB Cleaning

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 03:47:48 pm »
How do u produce water?

Either the diesel heater frost protection system or move to a more suitable place so you can run your busness.
Exactly

Not the best idea to move into a 3 story flat when wfp ;D

harleyman

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 04:34:34 pm »
heaters look good .the reason we moved to the flat is I own it we had to move up here for family reasons so had no choice really thanks for reply's  I will have to get the hose out drop it over balcony

deeege

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 06:54:28 pm »
heaters look good .the reason we moved to the flat is I own it we had to move up here for family reasons so had no choice really thanks for reply's  I will have to get the hose out drop it over balcony

Run a hose from the 3rd floor? Your neighbours are going to love you.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 07:18:34 pm »
looks like you ll need to get a propane heater if you dont fancy faffing about and draining everything down or taking it out on cold frosty nights...

personally i wouldnt have moved into a 3rd storey flat! ::)roll

what were you thinking?surely you must have thought "this is gonna be a pain in the arse!" when your a WFP window cleaner....
price higher/work harder!

Stoots

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 07:55:34 pm »
I used to just run the pumps/hoses/poles dry and leave everything in the van, i then found sticking a heater on for an hour first thing defrosted anything and i was good to go...But since then i have upgraded to shurflo pumps and controllers and ive found that they are a pig to get going again if run dry and allowed to airlock.

So this year i will use an immersion heater and an oil filled rad.

If you cant electric out to your van the best you can do is drain it all dry and cover with old duvets etc, take reels and poles out.

nathankaye

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 10:53:06 pm »
Depends how you feel about using gas heaters in your van.
Camping gas heaters, ran from small gas cans, set on a low heat should last through the coldest periods if you turn it on before retiring for the night.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Spruce

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 07:35:33 am »
Expensive but used by a few in the same situation.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Propex-Heatsource-HS2000-V2-Blown-Air-Heater-12v-Twin-Outlet-LPG-Gas-Motorhome/272818998374?epid=1729934350&hash=item3f85478c66:g:6FMAAOSw5UZY~2nQ:rk:10:pf:0

Exhaust and inlets through the van floor and they don't use much power from the battery.

A detailed explanation of a setup is on this Youtube clips.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOHMolF5VYg

There are a number of videos in this series you should watch.

Either a standard gas bottle in a sealed locker with outside vent or a vapour tank vented to the outside such as supplied to the leisure market.

Example
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25Ltr-LPG-Autogas-Vapour-Tank-for-Motorhome-Catering-Trailer-Cooking-Heating-/223046217388

You will need additional fittings.

Air diesel heaters consume around 20 amps of battery power in surges for 3 minutes to get started and then use between 2 and 5 amps when running. That starting and stopping half a dozen times at night is going to drain the battery.

You will also have to consider that these heat sources aren't quiet in operation. One of your neighbours is bound to complain.

Can you get permission for a electrical cable to be supplied down the wall to a socket at ground level so you can plug your van in to an oil filled radiator at night. You need to be able to switch the power off in your flat to stop unauthorised use by others.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

robbo333

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 08:28:15 am »
I'm in a similar position, my girlfriend's house is terraced and in a walkway. My van is in communal parking 30m away.

I've done 2 things:

1. Get your pump, controller and battery and make a pump box, with a hozelock connection for both in and out. I can drain the system, take out the pump box and put it on a sack barrow. Take out the reel (connected via pipe clips) and put on the sack barrow, on top of the pump box. Take out the pole and connect to upright of sack barrow. Take it indoors (1 trip) takes 10 mins. Stick a duvet over the tank.

2. On the odd occasion, i've been caught out and it all froze. Near me is a road that no one uses, it's nice and quiet. I drive there and park up so that the sun is directly on the back doors, open up and run out all the hose on the ground, open the doors wide up and let the sun defrost everything. It's a bit of an extreme measure, but I have done this twice and both times I was up and running in about 40 mins. You can take a cool box of very hot water to help speed up the process.

I just took a flask of tea and put my feet up for a bit!  ;D

Having said all that, you could cover everything over with a duvet and then defrost in the morning with one of these
https://www.worldofcamping.co.uk/handy-portable-gas-heater
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

harleyman

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 04:52:46 pm »
thanks guys ive started the ball rolling ive been on the camper van forums to see what the best thermal insulation is used I have ordered some self adessive stuff at £75 so   I got plenty so that will be an improvement may get a smelly green house heater think I will have to play by ear..

ill try a lagging jacket and just remove what I can . the joys of w f p

Simon Trapani

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2018, 05:34:19 pm »
You mean the joys of wfp whilst living in a third floor flat in Scotland!  :o

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2018, 06:00:48 pm »
thanks guys ive started the ball rolling ive been on the camper van forums to see what the best thermal insulation is used I have ordered some self adessive stuff at £75 so   I got plenty so that will be an improvement may get a smelly green house heater think I will have to play by ear..

ill try a lagging jacket and just remove what I can . the joys of w f p

What insulation have you purchased bud?
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

harleyman

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2018, 08:06:55 am »
I got  8meter x 1meter of thermoliner it has adhesive backing so you dont have to fanny about with adhesive spray glue  also been looking at I b c tank covers