UK Window Cleaning Forum > Window Cleaning Forum

Would you take the risk?

(1/1)

dai:
I was talking to a customer yesterday. She told me her son was a window cleaner and had just had a fall; he had damaged his knee ligaments and had difficulty walking.
She then went on to tell me that he was working on the side for £30 a day, nothing if rained off.
When she told me who his boss was, I was surprised. I know this guy and believed he was running a legitimate outfit.
I have no sympathy with benefit cheats or those that employ them, but do these guys ever think of the risks they are taking?
I have a friend in the demolition/architectural salvage business. A couple of years ago he had a job removing an asbestos roof. As the job needed doing quickly, he took on casual labour to assist his usual crew. He left the men on the job and provided a scissor platform so that it could be done safely. This casual worker went walkabout on the asbestos roof, and fell through breaking his leg.
My mate was 50 miles away looking at another job.
The result so far is £30,000 in fines and compensation and he has to yet pay the casual guys legal fees.
Can you show that your employee has had adequate training? It’s no good saying I told him what not to do. You need documentation to back it up.
These guys employing dole cheats and casual workers risk losing everything they have worked for. Even if they had employee liability insurance, it will be no good to them unless they can prove proper training was given.
They could end up having to sell their home to pay compensation and legal fees.
Would you take that risk? I wouldn’t. Dai

wightsurf:
You hit the nail on the head there.Does not matter what insurance you have ,if there is some sort of injury and it's proved it could of been avoided the you will have to pay out .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version