davetherave

poles, useless?
« on: June 28, 2006, 05:54:28 pm »
im not on about wfp, i've never used one of those. i'm on about  poles that attach traditional tools to them, i find they make the windows look worse afterwards than if i hadn't bothered cleaning them!

what do you other window cleaners out there i think.

it annoys me because when i started window cleaning just recently i spent 100 quid on a unger pole thinking i would hardly need ladders. but i soon found out it wouldn't work out that way and i feel i have wasted 100 quid on a 30 foot pole i'll never need.

Paul Coleman

Re: poles, useless?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 06:22:26 pm »
im not on about wfp, i've never used one of those. i'm on about  poles that attach traditional tools to them, i find they make the windows look worse afterwards than if i hadn't bothered cleaning them!

what do you other window cleaners out there i think.

it annoys me because when i started window cleaning just recently i spent 100 quid on a unger pole thinking i would hardly need ladders. but i soon found out it wouldn't work out that way and i feel i have wasted 100 quid on a 30 foot pole i'll never need.

I used such a pole for years until I started with WFP.  However, I only used such a pole on the occasional window that couldn't be safely accessed by ladder.  The thinking behind this was that some sort of clean was better than no clean.  I found the best way to use it was to soap up with minimal detergent, not go all the way to the top, then squeegee it off with a sideways cutting motion then down at one edge.  Then pull the liquid off with downward strokes going across the glass and cutting in from the top with each stroke - ensuring that the liquid is tapped off the rubber between strokes.  Keeping a newish rubber on the squeegee also was a big help.  Of course there isn't always the room to work this way.  It's not perfect but the above is probably one of the better ways of doing it.  I wouldn't fancy working this way as the norm - just on the odd, hard to access window.

davetherave

Re: poles, useless?
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 08:48:11 pm »
i'll have to look into one of those swivel head squeegees, i just use a normal unger ergotec