dazmond

do you text ALL your customers the night before?
« on: January 16, 2019, 08:23:38 am »
new video posted by darren at greenpro cleaning on youtube saying he texts ALL his customers the night before regardless of whether there is access issues or not....

thoughts guys?do you do the same?
price higher/work harder!

Spotfree

Re: do you text ALL your customers the night before?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 08:31:07 am »
Just the ones that need it, some people never go anywhere and are always home with cash in hand. Some people prefer not to be bothered by it.

Shrek

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 08:36:08 am »
No not all , I’ve just had a bit of a clear out too . A few customers that needed to be in and it wasn’t convenient 3 times in the last 8 months.... dumped. Feel much better now  ;D

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 08:51:59 am »
None.

They get a next clean date at the time of the clean - we stick to that date and the customers are trained well enough to leave gates unlocked.

also - to be fair out here very few people have locked gates or no access and those that do have given us a key or the code

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

High-Tower

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 09:43:51 am »
Yeah, nearly everyone has a lock or a bolt on the gate at least. And I’d rather people cancelled by text the night before than when i am already there working, or just deciding they didn’t want it done and they don’t want to pay.

nathankaye

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 09:49:36 am »
My segments within my round (saves arguements on what people call a round)
are seperated into wk 1, wk2, wk 3 and wk 4 within a month. So my customers roughly know whennim due ie, the first wk in a month (so not day specific).
However ones who request a text or ones who need a text due to access issues will receive one and charged accordingly if they fail to open the gate, after ive done my part in letting them know
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Cookie

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 10:26:28 am »
I only text when there are access issues or when the customer specifically requests it.

The problem with texting is that it can make your day really inflexible. Customers want to know what time you're coming, they can't do certain times etc... etc... I prefer just to turn up & get on - which I do with 90% of my customers.

Splash & dash

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 10:58:59 am »
No we will not take on work were there is access issues , don’t want to be spending my evenings txt customers

Stoots

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 11:06:40 am »
Probably about 50%....mainly ones with a locked gate but a few where I just got into the habit that don't really need one.

I dont like it really, it limits what you can do in a day.

The amount of times I've done for the day and wanted to do some of tomorrows for example but cant because they need a text...it is frustrating. Also if you don't get there for any reason you have to text them again. It leaves you in a situation where you can either text too many or not enough.

But I would say half of my round needs a text due to locked gates so what can you do.

G Griffin

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 11:12:44 am »
I think it's a good idea to text the night before. So that they can go out and forget to unlock the gate.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Simon Trapani

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 11:56:50 am »
Reluctantly we only text the ones with access issues the night before. We use Textmarketer incorporated into templates within Aworka to schedule them. Before that I had to manually enter each customer’s number into my phone. The only plus was it came out of my phone text allowance instead of having to pay Textmarketer.

Had stopped taking on texters but it was really slowing growth so this seemed a good compromise.

nathankaye

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 12:02:09 pm »
No we will not take on work were there is access issues , don’t want to be spending my evenings txt customers

Is it that hard. Save the text and then just tag ur customers in. It doesnt really take much effort
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

cleaniac

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 12:50:35 pm »
I put a next clean date on the bill, with a locked gate & payment policy. If they forget..tough..full payment is still due and it works they only forget once.  But of course...i am CRAZY for doing this and saving myself time an hassle asking people the night before effectively if its OK for me to clean their windows (giving them control)

No need to text, just turn up as detailed on the schedule. bang. I have one particular customer who always forgets, i think in the last 4 years he has only remembered to open his gate like 6 times, i just clean what i can and he pays me in full. Sometimes he remembers to open the gate, he doesn't care really as long as i come to do them when i say i will.

dave0123

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 02:27:53 pm »
I text around 20 customers some with access issues, but some i have been on a trial process to see how it works out. I dont think i would want to text every customer the night before but a little amount is useful for cash flow i find.
Dave.

dazmond

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 03:18:42 pm »
I put a next clean date on the bill, with a locked gate & payment policy. If they forget..tough..full payment is still due and it works they only forget once.  But of course...i am CRAZY for doing this and saving myself time an hassle asking people the night before effectively if its OK for me to clean their windows (giving them control)

No need to text, just turn up as detailed on the schedule. bang. I have one particular customer who always forgets, i think in the last 4 years he has only remembered to open his gate like 6 times, i just clean what i can and he pays me in full. Sometimes he remembers to open the gate, he doesn't care really as long as i come to do them when i say i will.

each to their own but next clean date on "windows cleaned today" slips is not for me.....its TOO inflexible.....i do stick to a fairly rigid schedule but it can vary a day here and there from month to month depending on other work due or if ive had the odd day off,finished earlier than usual,etc,also holidays have to taken into account too.....

dazmond

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 03:28:45 pm »
i would say 20% of my work i text the night before these days(some for access) but i also "courtesy text" some bigger stand alone jobs just so im not making a wasted trip if their having building work done etc.....also i think the richer customers appreciate it more......

i do have a lot of "turn up and clean" jobs though esp on the compact estate work,it makes work that bit more flexible day to day....

ive heard of window cleaners ringing the doorbell when they get to domestic jobs too before they start but ive never done this myself in 26 years of window cleaning! ;D

Simon Trapani

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2019, 04:03:03 pm »

I don't think we're knocking you Marc. Each to their own. I think Smudger does the same?
For me personally it wouldn't work as it's not flexible. I need to move jobs around for holidays, illness, weather etc etc.

You're right about the control though. Some see it as they're being given a choice. I now do a three strikes thing. Sometime it's only a one strike though if I'm really irritated.

In general I do think you're a bit crazy though - no offence! ;D

Cookie

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2019, 04:38:50 pm »
each to their own but next clean date on "windows cleaned today" slips is not for me.....its TOO inflexible.....i do stick to a fairly rigid schedule but it can vary a day here and there from month to month depending on other work due or if ive had the odd day off,finished earlier than usual,etc,also holidays have to taken into account too.....

Where I leave a ticket (when the customer is not in) I put the estimated next clean date - which leaves things flexible. My wording is My next clean will be on or soon after <date>. I find this works quite well.

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2019, 04:46:15 pm »
i did my first flounce of the year yesterday(malc would of been proud!)just picked up a new monthly job then moved onto my next job (down the same street)she comes out and says leave the back as husbands tools are there(i could easily still clean the windows)...i just said......"i can be f***ing arsed anymore!" and got back in my van...... ;D

not very professional but glad to get rid TBH......a few times ive had the "not this time" off her and its a 2 monthly job! ::)roll...its not worth cleaning.....

Stoots

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2019, 04:50:49 pm »
i would say 20% of my work i text the night before these days(some for access) but i also "courtesy text" some bigger stand alone jobs just so im not making a wasted trip if their having building work done etc.....also i think the richer customers appreciate it more......

i do have a lot of "turn up and clean" jobs though esp on the compact estate work,it makes work that bit more flexible day to day....

ive heard of window cleaners ringing the doorbell when they get to domestic jobs too before they start but ive never done this myself in 26 years of window cleaning! ;D

I used to knock the door everytime.

I dont anymore though,  thats a good thing about texting no need to let them know you are there.

Slacky

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2019, 04:52:13 pm »

Where I leave a ticket (when the customer is not in) I put the estimated next clean date - which leaves things flexible. My wording is My next clean will be on or soon after <date>. I find this works quite well.

I say something very similiar on the tickets i write out when i finish a clean.

It says "I aint got a clue when im back next, you can like it or lump it sweetheart!"

G Griffin

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2019, 05:29:40 pm »

So they don't forget only once?
I think a locked gate policy is a good idea though.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Perfect Windows

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 05:29:45 pm »
Always. Every single one. Except the people with landlines. They get a phone call. Except the people who live abroad. They get an email.

Vin

dazmond

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2019, 06:05:00 pm »
Always. Every single one. Except the people with landlines. They get a phone call. Except the people who live abroad. They get an email.

Vin

i text a few customers on their landline...they still get a phone call but without me having to actually speak to them personally... ;)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2019, 08:59:58 pm »
i did my first flounce of the year yesterday(malc would of been proud!)just picked up a new monthly job then moved onto my next job (down the same street)she comes out and says leave the back as husbands tools are there(i could easily still clean the windows)...i just said......"i can be f***ing arsed anymore!" and got back in my van...... ;D

not very professional but glad to get rid TBH......a few times ive had the "not this time" off her and its a 2 monthly job! ::)roll...its not worth cleaning.....

Love a flounce!

For the record ... I never text anyone the day before.

If they ask me to when I take them on I say I've got hundreds of customers and can't (won't) do it.

I say if they need to know when I'm coming then they should contact me a few days before I'm due and I can give them a better idea.
It's a game of three halves!

DeLuce

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2019, 09:02:20 pm »
I only text when there are access issues or when the customer specifically requests it.

The problem with texting is that it can make your day really inflexible. Customers want to know what time you're coming, they can't do certain times etc... etc... I prefer just to turn up & get on - which I do with 90% of my customers.

I'm the same as Cookie on this one.
Only text when specifically asked due to access issue. I reckon I have 10 custards on my round like this,thank goodness.
Another local lad to me, he texts every single one the night before!!!! :o  Personally, I would find that a total ball ache when I've got plenty of other things I could be doing.
Mostly it's day at work, come home, fill van up for next day. End of  work. Relax  ;D

dazmond

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2019, 10:08:13 pm »

Love a flounce!

For the record ... I never text anyone the day before.

If they ask me to when I take them on I say I've got hundreds of customers and can't (won't) do it.

I say if they need to know when I'm coming then they should contact me a few days before I'm due and I can give them a better idea.

What about locked gates malc?....surely you 've got a few customers with locked gates esp in this day and age....

Splash & dash

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2019, 10:15:39 pm »

Is it that hard. Save the text and then just tag ur customers in. It doesnt really take much effort

We are that busy with easy work that doesn’t require txt customers , why would I take on difficult access jobs ??? Don’t need the work we are constantly turning work away , also it makes it far to easy for the customer to say leave it this time , weather isn’t good , or they don’t look too dirty , or my dogs not well .
I think once you start doing it it’s difficult to stop , also I know ones who do txt and the customers still forget to unlock the gate anyway 😬😬😬

AuRavelling79

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2019, 11:05:01 pm »
Dazmond, you asked about "Locked Gates."

They either give me a key or a code or they just get the front and sides done. Some gates I reach over and unbolt or scale with a small ladder.

Stoots

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2019, 11:15:21 pm »
I text all mine when I get in so about 4pm.

I used to do it on an evening about 7 but that got annoying having to remember to do it.

Plan my week into worksheets on cleaner planner on a Sunday evening and send out payment reminders.

Then each day when I get in fill van update cleaner planner and text tomorrows work in one click via text local.

Walter Mitty

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2019, 05:56:06 am »
I text very few.  I prefer a gate/padlock key or a code.
The ones who want to receive texts cost me too much with their 'forgetful' ways or when they go on holiday.
It's something that I've always disliked doing.
Mobile phones weren't around when I started (barring a very rare business person) and land lines only took messages if someone invested in a separate answering machine.  I guess I just got into the habit of turn up and clean.
For years there were only three customers who I phoned, then mobiles took off.  It is irritating to receive messages back by text cancelling the clean as it might not be possible or practical to substitute another job.
I do take on jobs where a text is needed subject to making alternative arrangements after the first clean or two.  Some promise it and hope I forget.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2019, 07:53:58 am »
None.

They get a next clean date at the time of the clean - we stick to that date and the customers are trained well enough to leave gates unlocked.

also - to be fair out here very few people have locked gates or no access and those that do have given us a key or the code

Darran
That's good the only thing is it wedges you in. But then you want to be wedded in because you have a lot of employees. Around here most have a locked gate or an access issue. I try and keep notification to a minimum targeting work with no access issues.

dazmond

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2019, 08:12:13 am »
most customers have mobiles/smartphones these days so if they require a text it shouldnt be a problem....

paul its not very often a customer forgets to unlock their gate,if they do i climb over(with split ladder sections)or just clean fronts only.its not practical to have bunch of customer padlock keys on me!i do have gate codes and ONE padlock key for gates on a commercial job,thats it......

as for turning down jobs just because some customers lock their side gates i wouldnt have some of the great paying jobs i have on my books these days if that was the case and my round wouldnt be as compact....

ok for those that dont take on these jobs...what happens if a long standing customer suddenly starts padlocking their gates?(this has happened to me a few times)....i did actually dump a customer for doing this,it was a stand alone job on a main road(awkward to get on the drive too)and the gate was that large it was impossible to get over with the ladders safely so i never went back,she never contacted me to tell me and i didnt have her mobile number..... ;D

Shrek

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2019, 08:36:37 am »
I have a job like that - double yellow lines outside, they have a drive but have 2 cars on it and have a padlocked gate so they require a txt and sometimes forget  :-\
When I see this in writing, it really shows what a crap job it is  :-X

Simon Trapani

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2019, 12:45:43 pm »
We tried gate keys but when we went to two seperate vans they sometimes ended up in the wrong van. You gotta check the worksheet beforehand. PITA.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2019, 07:56:32 pm »
new video posted by darren at greenpro cleaning on youtube saying he texts ALL his customers the night before regardless of whether there is access issues or not....

my thoughts is that this guys a bell end

Frankybadboy

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2019, 08:13:49 pm »
less than 10 customers on my round and that due to locked gates

keep it simple,

jo5hm4n

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2019, 09:29:56 pm »

Daz, what video are you talking about???  I can't see any uploads from Darren and i watch his videos religiously.  There is no way he uploaded one without me seeing it!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Gary hetrick

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2019, 05:45:53 pm »
Been window cleaning many years now , just retired from the fire service and business is more full time now ..... in my exp  never text the night before for a start you feel like your asking them please can I clean your windows , I took some work that were all text night before , all the work I had then and still have was turn up n clean no set days just roughly a set number weeks  , texting is in my exp s pain up the arse  ... you get what time , leave it till next time or can you do it another day , so that bit of work I never texted after couple cleans  just turned up and only lost one customer out of 27 .... customers have to realise its a business and mine all do , I never ever accept being turned away ( yes if builders are in or new windows being fitted etc ) and have excellent customer base never ever get turned away and it works very well  , all pay online if not in with exception of a handful who pay by cheque ,

AuRavelling79

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2019, 05:59:24 pm »
Been window cleaning many years now , just retired from the fire service and business is more full time now ..... in my exp  never text the night before for a start you feel like your asking them please can I clean your windows , I took some work that were all text night before , all the work I had then and still have was turn up n clean no set days just roughly a set number weeks  , texting is in my exp s pain up the arse  ... you get what time , leave it till next time or can you do it another day , so that bit of work I never texted after couple cleans  just turned up and only lost one customer out of 27 .... customers have to realise its a business and mine all do , I never ever accept being turned away ( yes if builders are in or new windows being fitted etc ) and have excellent customer base never ever get turned away and it works very well  , all pay online if not in with exception of a handful who pay by cheque ,

Thanks for your input Gary and welcome to the forum!

Don Kee

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2019, 07:59:25 pm »
less than 10 customers on my round and that due to locked gates

keep it simple,

How do you make a living with only 10 customers on your round? They must be big jobs...

robbo333

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2019, 05:43:49 pm »
I text all my customers the night before and I don't really have a problem.
I get the odd customer on holiday or having work done, but that would be the same whether I text or not.
And I certainly can't be bothered to climb gates. I don't even do any awkward access or anything that needs a backpack!
I get the odd one ask 'what time' but that's usually because they want to be in, to pay me, or have a quick chat. Sometimes I may offer AM or PM.
Yes, you do get messers, but I think texting is a good way of weeding them out.
I only want customers who WANT their windows cleaned regularly and that's pretty much what I've now got.
Also, customers use texting as the preferred method to contact me about FSG, conny, patio, wall cleans etc, so it sort of works both ways.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Stoots

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2019, 05:54:18 pm »
Good thing about texting is i dont feel obliged to knock the door to announce my arrival, which i tend to do on ones i have just turned up on if its obvious they are in...

Dazzler3370

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2019, 05:55:59 pm »
I offer the service to all my customers but only the ones who need to leave their gates open have ever requested it.

I don't see the point in texting all customers.....!!

Dazzler
Dazzler

dazmond

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2019, 10:14:35 pm »
Good thing about texting is i dont feel obliged to knock the door to announce my arrival, which i tend to do on ones i have just turned up on if its obvious they are in...

i never feel obliged to knock their door before i start,ive never done it,i just turn up and clean for the vast majority of jobs..... ;D

i usually end up scaring a few customers esp in the winter months as im usually wearing a deerstalkers hat so they dont recognise me....they just see a dark 6 ft 2in shadow at the window,with my pole in my hand i can sometimes look like the grim reaper! ;D

Dave Willis

« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2019, 11:05:41 pm »
I think there’s a law against that  :o

G Griffin

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2019, 11:15:02 pm »
A deerstalker?
Do you smoke a pipe 'n' all, Daz?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Bungle

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2019, 11:57:23 pm »
A window cleaner friend of mine goes round his customers for the next day after he's finished his day's work and leaves a note to say he's coming round tomorrow. I'm only guessing he doesn't give his number out and no one will cancel because of this and that they'll leave payment out so he doesn't have to collect.

I text about 50%. If a customer cancels with a pathetic excuse after I've texted and access is good I'll put them on a 'turn up and clean'
We look at them, they look through them.