Perfect Windows

Organising/scheduling work
« on: May 13, 2022, 08:36:26 am »
The way we work is to have each franchisee with all their customers in one round. Those customers are in geographical order from one end of the round to the other. The logic for each evening is "Starting where I finished yesterday, go through the round until I've found X customers, in order, who are due or overdue". We do 6 and 12-weekly, so some will come up as due, some not. We add the X customers to tomorrow's work then out to do them. Next day we start from the first customer after the last one of the previous day. I think it minimises mileage and is foolproof.

How do you guys order your work?

I know some do it just by date due but I can't understand how you'd keep your mileage down - don't you end up all over the place? I know some of you have multiple rounds - why? I know some of you do 4, 6 and 8 weekly (I can't imagine how you schedule your work to fit in the 6-weekers but there must be a way).

Vin

Shrek

Re: Organising/scheduling work
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 09:20:18 am »
I work exactly the same as you however my work is monthly/2 monthly/3 monthly.
Just one round , start at X road on day1 of the month then just continue until iv finished all addresses at the end of the month.
The only issue I have now my round is ridiculously full is having to work every single day and can be difficult to get time off for holidays etc. I’m just starting to work Saturdays mornings after 3 years to try and get on top of things.

deeege

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2022, 10:19:46 am »
I just work from the squeegee overdue function.

Basically I choose £x amount of work for the next day that is currently due and go and do that. This only works because most of my domestic work is in a few square mile radius.

I hate being on a strict schedule so this works for me.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

NWH

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 10:31:16 am »
I hate sticking to a schedule I’ve never worked through it from front to back like Deegee I pick out jobs I want to do with what’s due to get the number I’m looking for, some days this might only need to be a few jobs some days it may be 7-8.
My work is spread out over a large area but I prefer it like that I have some jobs close to home but they are just used as and when I’ll mix a big one in with them,in the grand scheme of things what are you saving diesel wise nothing worth worrying about I’d rather use more fuel and make my day easier with the jobs I clean even if that means travelling.

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2022, 10:49:57 am »
Hi vin nice to see you posting

As you may know we work strict schedule - each village/area is cleaned on that given day  this works for us as some areas are up to 20 miles from base so not to complete this area on a given day means driving out there todo 1 or 2 cleans then heading off somewhere else giving “dead” time until they get to the next village

How things we have always been similar in growth despite our differing approaches - you must be near the million turn over/year by now ?

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Perfect Windows

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 11:57:28 am »
Hi vin nice to see you posting

As you may know we work strict schedule - each village/area is cleaned on that given day  this works for us as some areas are up to 20 miles from base so not to complete this area on a given day means driving out there todo 1 or 2 cleans then heading off somewhere else giving “dead” time until they get to the next village

How things we have always been similar in growth despite our differing approaches - you must be near the million turn over/year by now ?

Darran

Sure - we use common sense as well as the strict rule so we don't end up with an odd clean.

£450k. Taking it a tad easier these days as I hurtle towards 60.

Vin

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2022, 12:42:11 pm »
Just one round , start at X road on day1 of the month then just continue until iv finished all addresses at the end of the month.
The only issue I have now my round is ridiculously full is having to work every single day and can be difficult to get time off for holidays etc. I’m just starting to work Saturdays mornings after 3 years to try and get on top of things.

The key for me is to never be bursting at the seams with work(keeping my working schedule to around 25 hours a week) so I never have to work weekends anymore or bank holidays...I can also have the odd day off in the week if I want or have a 3 day weekend (which are getting more common these days for me).I've been working this way for years now.

This is by far the best way to work and not get too fed up with window cleaning IMO,cutting down the risk of RSI and work more efficiently.

I tend to work my round from A-Z with a few rescheduled jobs here and there.they are easier to re jig when your customer base is only 300+jobs...most are 4/8 weekly with a few 6/12,annual and bi annual jobs...
price higher/work harder!

Shrek

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2022, 03:48:00 pm »

The key for me is to never be bursting at the seams with work(keeping my working schedule to around 25 hours a week) so I never have to work weekends anymore or bank holidays...I can also have the odd day off in the week if I want or have a 3 day weekend (which are getting more common these days for me).I've been working this way for years now.

This is by far the best way to work and not get too fed up with window cleaning IMO,cutting down the risk of RSI and work more efficiently.

I tend to work my round from A-Z with a few rescheduled jobs here and there.they are easier to re jig when your customer base is only 300+jobs...most are 4/8 weekly with a few 6/12,annual and bi annual jobs...

That’s very true daz , it was a lot easier when I had 300 customers. Now it’s 400+ and enquiries coming in weekly , I’m not cheap either. Iv got around 100 that I need to do a price increase for from 3 years ago , iv done 30 so far but feel bad doing it tbh . I don’t pay to  advertise, just got my name on my van , website, Facebook page but I don’t actively post anything really to encourage new work.
When is enough….enough?!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2022, 04:27:54 pm »

Do you cull/sell on regularly and how?

I'm bursting at the seams. I have taken my signs off my van and have no website.
It's a game of three halves!

Stoots

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2022, 04:31:02 pm »
I took my round and split it into smaller rounds.

I have 14 smaller rounds cleaner planner, A - N

I start at round A and work till round N.

I have 4 and 8 weekly work in all areas, so i start at A and work till N, this in theory should take 4 weeks....

Now if im a week behind and it takes me 5 weeks to do it all then the corresponding 8 weeklys are going to have to wait 10 weeks, for example i could be cleaning round K and work pops up due for round B because im behind, well it just has to wait till im back that way.

This means that my round is almost never 4 or 8 weekly, thats just a guide, its quite often 5/6 or 10/11 weekly etc but at least by sticking to the round order no matter what it keeps the round the most compact and each day is efficent as can be. 

Ive considered for a long time just having 6 weekly only then i could literally start at customer number 1 and finish at number 500 and never have to re jig work about. This would be by far the easiest answer to the question.

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2022, 04:51:42 pm »

Do you cull/sell on regularly and how?

I'm bursting at the seams. I have taken my signs off my van and have no website.

I did sell a round years ago but I just only take on work that suits me these days,I also have a cull every so often and of course I lose jobs when customers move or die....

Also there is a lot of competition where most of my work is based so it's not guaranteed I'll get the new owners of a previous job so my round evens itself out over the course of a year...

I've never failed to earn more money year on year for over 12 years now although this year could be an acception if I'm forced to have a month off with my foot injury

robbo333

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2022, 05:29:28 pm »
I work on 8 weekly schedule.
Every day is booked solid on Aworka, 5 days a week, for the full 8 weeks, so I have a set amount to do every day.
To be honest, i'm fed up with it.
If I miss a day because i'm ill, something crops up, or it rains heavy, then i'm behind. There's nowhere to go!
All my extra work fsg, pressure washing etc etc is done on a Saturday and I'm overloaded with that.
Also i'm getting more enquiries!
I need to have the balls to do more price increases, cut down to 4 days per week (bin off some work) and have one extra day for bits and bobs, catching up or extra add ons etc.
At 58 years old, I need to think about a nice little round with bungalows and easy houses!
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

tlwcs

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2022, 05:57:59 pm »
Every day is booked solid on Aworka, 5 days a week, for the full 8 weeks, so I have a set amount to do every day.
If I miss a day because i'm ill, something crops up, or it rains heavy, then i'm behind. There's nowhere to go!
All my extra work fsg, pressure washing etc etc is done on a Saturday and I'm overloaded with that.
I need to have the balls to do more price increases, cut down to 4 days per week (bin off some work) and have one extra day for bits and bobs, catching up or extra add ons etc.
At 58 years old, I need to think about a nice little round with bungalows and easy houses!

Hey Rob,
Im 60 this year and was similar to you but only scheduled work Monday to Thursday. But as I’ve got older Fridays have been used as catch up as there’s too much to do over the 4 days.
At Christmas I sold some work, put prices up and changed everyone onto a 6 week schedule over 3 days! Tuesday to Thursday. The reality of this has been every Monday off with some work every other Friday. This has mainly been to cover any new work as there isn’t time in the week and also any wet days. Always worked in the rain, but now don’t have to.
I have to be flexible on Friday working until I’m ready to sell another complete days work
At our time of life we should be making years of experience work for us, not flogging ourselves to death
You should make a change mate  :)

Shrek

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2022, 06:02:26 pm »

This is the kinda the same situation I’m in,I’m only 37 so a little younger than you.  It’s a nice problem to have if you think about it though. Things could be the total opposite and you’re sat there waiting for the phone to ring !
How often do you do price increases? And by what %? I’ve been doing them every 3 years by about 10% .
I would love to be able to just book 2 weeks away somewhere but have never been able to. If I want a week off , I make sure the week  starts Thursday- Wednesday at the end of the month so I only miss 2 days one month and 3 days the following month. Then work extra hours to catch up. I never thought I’d be this busy when I first started, I used to love starting at 8am and finishing at 11:30am 😁

andycap

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2022, 06:30:53 pm »
Hell,I’m 58 this year and a 3 and a half day week for me is more than enough 😧
I’m lucky to have been mortgage free for about 5 years so that definitely makes it easier.
I was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease 2 years ago after struggling with it for years,just glad I’m in a pretty settled routine,as this disease can flare anytime ....that’s what I like is the flexibility of my little round👍

dazmond

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2022, 08:54:21 pm »

I predict you ll be getting really fed up with cleaning in the next few years and be susceptible to burn out.....

Your a long time dead....I'd rather ease up now...money isn't everything

Stoots

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2022, 11:30:13 pm »
I dont know how anyone can do this 5 days a week without their body breaking down or going insane. I work 3 or 4 days a week and that's more than enough. 

NWH

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2022, 06:23:11 am »
I only go on holiday at the end of the week so it means I only go a couple of days in to the next month lol yeah been there,listen don’t waste you’re time chasing rainbows it’s only being a little late for cleaning someone’s windows,work hard yes but work hard to enjoy time off.
At the end of the day customers aren’t friends don’t ever fall in to that trap.

deeege

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2022, 07:56:59 am »
I’m with Daz on this one. Sticking to a mega strict schedule full time is a recipe to disaster, I personally couldn’t think of anything worse and it’ll sooner or rather lead to burnout.

"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Shrek

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2022, 01:50:12 pm »
I’m with Daz on this one. Sticking to a mega strict schedule full time is a recipe to disaster, I personally couldn’t think of anything worse and it’ll sooner or rather lead to burnout.

I don’t think sticking to a schedule is the issue, the workload is the issue not the schedule