Re: leaflets, is thicker better
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2008, 09:30:14 pm »
Derek

My experience has been you will get more response, but not enough to cover the extra cost.

But, you need to test because your area, target market, distribution method may mean different.

Hope that helps. :-\

derek west

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2008, 09:53:18 pm »
mike.
yeah i think your right, but first i suppose i should test the design of the leflet. once thats working then try the 250 gram, see if it makes it work better.
hoping for 40 jobs from 10k leaflets, is that attainable? cos if it is  then this time next year we'll be millionaires
derek

kinder clean

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2008, 10:02:44 pm »
Derek, can I take a look, no e-mail on your profile - send to applepaul260z@yahoo.co.uk

Cheers

Paul

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2008, 10:17:31 pm »
The average job per thousand done with an OK delivery is 1 in 1000, if you are solus then yes you may get 4 in 1000, teh content is part of it and the job ticket is the most important.

4 x £30 = £120
1 x £150 = £150

Which is better?

Delivering leaflets is a bit of trial and error and memory, go to the places where you have done well before on the quality of the job ticket and then go and farm it.

Shaun

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2008, 10:26:42 pm »
Did you say what size you are doing and how are you distributing them?

Checklist

Headline is the most important

Your USP

Offer

testimonials

Call to action

Test only one variable at a time and start with the headline

If I get 3/1000 I'm happy. That's A4 80gsm BW

Cheapest paper is morrisons budget. £1.74 average job price just over a ton.

Testing Xerox Symphony pale yellow this week @ about 2.75 a ream.

garyj

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2008, 10:38:08 pm »
Here is something I have knocked up in the last few minutes, but this is for a targeted letter campaign. Rip it to bits as it is not finished or even spell checked yet as I am off for a bath.

Free carpet protection for November Only

Dear Mr Smith,

As the nights draw in and we spend more time indoors now is the perfect time to not only have your carpets & upholstery deep steam cleaned and during November we will Stain Guard your furnishings for free.

For example an average size living room can cost as much as £130 to be professionally protected. We are offering this service for free on all bookings taken in the next 2 weeks for November cleans only

* . Offer only available for the next 2 weeks
* . Discounts offered on multiple rooms
* . Prolong the live of your carpets & upholstery
* . Hygienically fresh and clean
* . Fast drying
* . Local professional service

Our previous offers have proved very popular and is available only for cleaning in November. We even offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee so if you are not delighted with our service you do not pay a penny

Yours sincerely,

P.S. Call us today to take advantage of this fantastic offer

derek west

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2008, 10:48:35 pm »
shaun my average ticket is £75
we put 1500 leaflets out on friday and have had 3 jobs, doing 2 tomorrow, 1 in the morning and 1 at 3 oclock, £210.
think i can do better by changing the leaflets.
should be getting them ready to be delivered next monday, all 10k will be out by wednesday next week, weather permitting.
mike
A5 double sided full colour. 10,000 135 gsm £100 (print carrier) but i'm paying the extra to get them by friday,
delivered by hand, 2 of us
headline
beautiful clean fresh carpets
thats our promise to you

should have the results a week on friday for rapid responce.
derek

clinton

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2008, 10:55:41 pm »
Sounds like a good leaflet derek.

Good price as well for that quanytity was that with your own artwork ???

Be good to know how you do with them derek...

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2008, 11:07:56 pm »
Shyed away from PC because they just print the file as it comes.

I think if you want a head start with leaflets you can't beat DP Print.

Now I've got a RISO any ideas can be turned round in a day.

Anyone else clock the signwriting on the inside door of that IVECO/450D for sale? I will be borrowing that headline. ;)

derek west

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2008, 11:40:19 pm »
clinton
i did the artwork but pronaprint are polishing it for me, £50+vat
and everyone keeps going on about pink so pink ta fck it is.
mike
whats the headline?
oh and while i'm here. is it just me or do others read mikes posts in the voice of smooth tony, or at least i think he's called smooth tony,
putting a leaflet together is like making love to a beautiful women, lets face it ya can never seem to say the right things.

derek

Fraser Thom

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2008, 11:46:25 pm »
Derek your some man, it's Swiss Tony, not Smooth Tony ya clown!

I think I'll start calling you Viking Derek.

garyj

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2008, 11:50:46 pm »
putting a leaflet together is like making love to a beautiful women, lets face it ya can never seem to say the right things.

derek

You are very right about that. The letter I posted above was knocked up in 5 mins and will be thrown out the door when it ceases to become useful. Ill remember that when I do the next one, Ill use fresh clean paper that not everyone else has had a scribble on first, take my time, say the right things, then go off and use someone elses  :-X

Thought someone would have had something to say about the letter, I can see a few areas that need minor surgery and one area that needs botox.

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2008, 11:52:50 pm »
It's something like 'The nearest thing to a new carpet you can get.....'

It's on ebay and TMs

Swiss Tony

Fraser Thom

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2008, 11:55:55 pm »
Cleaning carpets is a bit like making love to a beautiful woman.

First youve got to get out your vacuum and suck up most of the dirt, then get a bit of moisture down there with a nice pre-spray, then you get out your wand and finnish the job off, making lots of noise in the process, leaving it every so slightly damp.

Tony

garyj

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2008, 12:02:21 am »
 ;D
Thought you were going to mention about turning them on as well, glad I am not the only one that skips that bit.

It is no coincidence that it is the blowers that cause most the problems as well. Sometimes they leak, sometimes they get a bit dirty and if it is a good mate you would trust him with it over the weekend.

Some are costly to run and once you have one seem to be forever paying out on hidden extras and things you don't need.

garyj

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2008, 12:05:03 am »
And when they get old they start to leak, at this point it is defiantly best to trade in for a newer model.

Fraser Thom

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2008, 12:07:24 am »
Mine is still new hence I still enjoy playing with it but Im sure that will change.  At least with a carpet cleaning machine you can leave it in the van overnight.

garry22

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2008, 10:24:03 am »
Derek,

Normally I'd give a long list of Do' and Don'ts for the content of leaflets but here's something that may get overlooked.

Probably the biggest boost to response here will be that you are delivering them yourself. Here's why.

I started in this business on the marketing side (in a friend's business).

We ran two teams of five leafletters. Every leafletter had there own serial number on the leaflets (we ran a bonus scheme, they got extra payment for each job booked).

Young and niaive, I could never understand why one girl got more orders than others when really, the answer was staring me in the face.

I had a phone call from a man in Sutton Coldfield....

"i've had one of your leaflets"
Me.. "Yes?"
"Well, several thousand actually!"

It was the head "Ranger" from Sutton Park (the big park in Birmingham where they used to hold the RAC rally).

One of the leafletters had been dumping them in the park on a regular basis. We checked the serial numbers and called the kid in. He denied all knowledge (even though they were his numbered leaflets.. and he lived next to the park). We sacked him. Do you know, he even phoned up months later to see if we had any jobs going!

Good luck,

Garry

Steve Chapman

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2008, 10:41:47 am »
only two things really matter for leaflets, :-

a good offer and
lots of them

they could be printed on toilet paper, if it was a good offer and got to enough people then you will get work.

Generally people are not interested in what colour the paper is or how thick, that's just a complete waste of money, cheap leaflets in volume is the most viable way to go.

We've been using a riso for a while now and is great as you can change the offer frequently and churn out thousands of leaflets continuosly and cheaply!

regards
steve

derek west

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2008, 10:52:30 am »
whats a riso steve???
derek