9.6%
11 (9.6%)
13.2%
15 (13.2%)

Total Members Voted: 108

rich hand

Per Day
« on: October 05, 2006, 08:40:40 pm »
Aimed at the domestic cc who performs several jobs per day. Naming your area would be useful.

rich hand

Re: Per Day
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 09:13:34 pm »
Would have like to put 150 also but it wouldnt fit so please comment. 150 isnt enough tho really is it?!

Lavinia

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 09:34:45 pm »
you should aim a bit higher, the more you charge the more you will earn as long as you do the job to the best you can you will get a good name foryourself and people will use you what ever you charge

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 09:48:28 pm »
At the end of the day whatever guys on here say they aim for a day/hour doesn't really mean a thing. What matters is how much profit we make at the end of the day!

Regards Rob.

bennymon

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 04:22:43 pm »
£150 would be fine its getting the work :'(

stevegunn

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 04:45:20 pm »
Aim for £200, some days can be more other days can be less it swings in roundabouts

rs_cleancare

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 05:01:12 pm »
It's very difficult to say what you aim for. I work on £200 a day and look for a £1000 a week. But it dosn't work like that some weeks may be as little as £500 and other weeks can be £1500.
I think it counts at the end of the year when you see how much dosh is in your pocket.
Since April i have been flat out earning well above my £1000 target a week but i know it wont last as next week isn't looking so good. :'( O well it usally comes good lets hope so.
If your happy with what your earning and the service your providing that is the main thing.

Rob.

calmore

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 06:39:09 pm »
What people aim for and what they get are two different things.

It's better to shoot for the stars and end up on the moon than aim for a street lamp and end up in the gutter!

In other words aim as high as you possibly can!

Calmore Carpet Cleaning-Southampton
www.calmore.com

Southern PAT Services
www.southernpatservices.com/

mark_roberts

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 06:52:37 pm »
How can you live on £150 a day??  It takes £75 - £100 a day to run a business and I mean run not play.

So at £75 a day before tax, sickness pay, holiday pay, profit etc youd be better off in Tescos.

Mark

gmccleaning

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 07:12:13 pm »
Sorry to say but the day my business costs £100 aday to run is the day i finish or have several vans + drivers to pay(all i can say is u must have a very nice business set up).

I live in south west scotland and would be very happy with £100 aday(starting to make good tracks towards that) income let alone paying that out aday, im only a one man band with 3 machines,a van and a healthy customer base.

I like your coments calmore (shoot for the stars and end up on the moon than aim for a street lamp and end up in the gutter) very good.

George

calmore

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 07:51:15 pm »
Just trying to point out that everyone should be aiming as high as possible!
Calmore Carpet Cleaning-Southampton
www.calmore.com

Southern PAT Services
www.southernpatservices.com/

stains-away

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 07:53:01 pm »
Just trying to point out that everyone should be aiming as high as possible!

Like jack Russells looking under Great Danes tails  ;D

Hugh Janus

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 07:56:42 pm »
are we talking turnover or profit??

my all time record is about 420 but normally is somewhere between 160-240

turnover that is ;D

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 08:36:00 pm »
I aim for more than the scales above, okay I don't always reach it but the majority of the time I do.

craigp

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2006, 08:43:21 pm »
what 2.5k a week Shaun?

*paul_moss

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2006, 08:44:15 pm »
My all time record was one day last year 2 jobs total £750.

Residential, not commercial.

Wish I could get that just once a week  :)
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

rich hand

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2006, 09:34:02 pm »
Seems most people get around 200/day. Most people who quote prices in threads on here are advising or stating 125/150+ to clean a suite and around 40/50/room. This is now put into context. It either means these people are either the ones who are the highest earners (certainly not the average person) or the ones who are very slow.

I dont believe 200 is enough for the professional who has all soughts of things to take into account but surely much above 300 for much of the country is taking the p**s. Electricians, plumbers and many builders generally dont earn more than 300. Dont say being a cc is more difficult.

Glynn

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2006, 09:52:37 pm »
Your highest poll option is too low.
Regards
Glynn

craigp

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2006, 10:06:13 pm »
is the highest (450 a day)  really to low Glynn? we are talking owner operator here arent we?

am i doing somthing wrong? ;D

rich hand

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2006, 10:10:06 pm »
Yes owner operator.

the red carpet

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2006, 08:48:46 pm »
I have been aiming for, and getting £250 a day.

Put prices up a touch last week, and am getting my t/m on Tuesday so hopefelly this will raise a bit.

I would like about £500 a day, but would settle for somewere in the middle £300-£400

STEVE PARKIN

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2006, 08:41:52 am »
i bring in £35 a day if im lucky honest, ps heard tax man is watching

STEVE PARKIN

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2006, 08:43:03 am »
off to work now to earn my £35

Glynn

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2006, 01:27:56 pm »
Craipp
yes its too low.
I agree with Shaun.
Regards
Glynn

craigp

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2006, 03:40:17 pm »
 :o  ok, i thought 300 was a good day, ;D normally less than that for me.

Matt Lindus

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2006, 04:02:56 pm »
Its all relevant really guys.
If you use micro splitters you wont be earning much, what with pre vac, pre spray, all that agitation needed, etc etc etc,,,, it takes you all day to do a lounge.

On the other hand the detergent guys who just pre spray n clean using truckmounts earn about £1000.00 per day without breaking sweat.

Matt

lee_gundry

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2006, 06:11:07 pm »
you will usally find that tm operators tend to earn around 4-7 hundred pounds per day.

a good day is a grand which is not uncommen for a tm user.

Lee G

cumbria

the red carpet

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2006, 11:40:33 pm »
Roll on Tuesday :D

carpetguy

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2006, 11:59:19 pm »
The high earnings quoted here don't just come out of thin air, whether it's a t/m set up or any other system.

The work has to be found and the client has to be sold !

If someone is working for a while and marketing their business through the usual channels, they are not, suddenly going to make what was previously a weeks drawings in one  day.

It's totally unrealistic.

Unless, of course, they have pretty substantial commercial contracts, but they don't just happen.

robbie

terrymaloy

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2006, 01:39:02 pm »
Some people on here talk absolute RUBBISH !!!
£300, £400, £500 a day. GET REAL

The guys who make this claim this always seem to be the ones online, sat at their computer, on this forum, and always during the day...

Shouldnt you be out there cleaning carpets and not sitting in your bedroom boasting about what you're supposedly earning ?

craigp

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2006, 02:05:55 pm »
you will usally find that tm operators tend to earn around 4-7 hundred pounds per day.

a good day is a grand which is not uncommen for a tm user.

Lee G

cant see see that, a grand a day! now we are getting far fetched,

you are talking one truckmount one operator here Lee?

Liahona

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2006, 02:30:59 pm »
To jump on the band wagon of Shaun and Glynn the highest option is way too low. On the whole most people agree on around £100 pounds an hour. So if you have your machine running for 10 hours a day then there is your £1,000 for a days work. A lot of people only work a few hours of actual machine time so fall well short of £1,000 but there hourly rate is very good. For those like me, and I have no problems saying so, that charge two or three times what everyone else does  4 or 500 a day would not be much of a goal and or aim. I know this isnt for everyone but if you dont aim for it you will not get it. If you aim for say 200 a day and get it then you will be happy with a poor wage. If you aim for 500 or more and only get 50% of your aim at least although you may have failed you have 50 quid more in your account. As for me and mine so to speak, for 200 quid a day I will either stay at home or do what ever else I want to do. Best, Dave.

craigp

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2006, 02:38:57 pm »
there are some carpet cleaners out there earning average of £200 - £300 per week.  mind you there not exactly raising the standards of this industry.

reading what some have said on here i think i should be aiming even higher than i have been. :o

Liahona

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2006, 02:44:00 pm »
Craig, what was your aim? Oh and dont forget I am happy to go out with you on a job of yours to see maybe why you charge what you do and maybe help you in charging a little or a lot more. Best, Dave.

craigp

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2006, 03:00:12 pm »
Dave,

yeah ok that'll be good,

i dont have an aim, just as much as what comes in, i find half the job is getting enough in, if its flooding in i do well,

i'll give you a call this week.

Matt Read

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2006, 06:22:28 pm »
A lot can depend on the area,how affluent it is etc,there are high paying customers in every area i guess but some have a lot more than others.

Although Dave always talks about his high earnings ,you would have to spend a lot of time researching and targeting these types of customers as well as giving an unbeleivable service.

Its not going to be acheivable in the short term,in my opinion it takes five years min, to be an established competant carpet cleaner,then you can move on to targeting the high end market.

As in all trades you can only command top dollar if you have got the experience, training and can sell quite well.

I'd certainly get out of bed for £200 a day,i like to earn more ..sometimes i do ,sometimes i don't but everyday i'm working my business is growing and the more it grows the more i can pick and choose the jobs i want to do, thats my way of looking at it anyway.
Matt

the red carpet

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2006, 06:27:40 pm »
Terry, £300 £400 £500 a day aint that unrealistic trust me.

After just one year in the game starting from scratch i was pulling £250 a day (this is serving middle of the road houses, at not outragous prices)

I upped my prices a touch  just over a week ago, and as yet am getting very little price resistance, this in itself should bring me around the £300 a day mark without doing any extra work ;)

This is with a portable, i am getting my t/m fitted tomorrow so the theory is with all the time saved setting up i should be able to at least squeeze in a  extra little job a day, and there you have it £350+ a day in just over a year.

jasonl

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2006, 06:41:10 pm »
£ 500 IS WELL REALISTIC , i do that regularly nowadays, using a LM pad system, 9-5 door to door , keeps my time free on all ther days to deal with other stuff.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Mike Halliday

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2006, 06:42:07 pm »
I run a truckmount and on average earn £250 a day, I know lots of truckmount owners and they don't earn £4-700 a day, perhaps I only know the poor ones ;)

I suppose these figure are possible if I went from cleaning one full house to another but on 1 or 2 rooms per job it would meen working very long hours.

OK I'm a lazy git who often is home by 2-3 but for me to earn 4-700 a day would mean me doing twice as many jobs and my marketing can't sustain such an output. You can say charge more to increase my earning but again it would have to double so some customer would go elsewhere meaning I would have to do more marketing.

I'm pleased some are earning such high amounts, its just I'm not one of them :'( :'(

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

lee_gundry

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2006, 06:45:47 pm »
terry maloy

best thing terry is to spend a day with either myself or glynn.

i have had a few of guys who have spend the day with me.

lee g

lake district

cumbria

Liahona

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2006, 06:57:28 pm »
Matt, most of what you posted I agree with, although I dont think it should take 5 years to become good at what it is you are doing. I would say 3 was a better target. By the time 5 years comes around you may well find most people are stuck in their ways and wont or cant change their ways. Thats why there are people on here still using and doing the same thing they were 10 years ago. I dont earn anywhere near what some cleaners are earning because I only work 2 days a week by choice. I havent worked more than 3 days a week in over 5 years now and that has been my target. Not to earn a boat load of money but to have 8 months off and only have to work for 4. ( in total number of days worked). I have suggested to people on here and elsewhere how to get the higher end client. Therefore they can bypass all the researching that I and others have had to do. If a rookie can pick the brains of more experienced people on here then why should they have to go through the same ropes as we all had to? Nothing counts for experience and I am not suggesting that it does. If you are good at what you do and have the best machines available then within a year why shouldnt you be looking at 500 or so a day. Why be scared of it. Fair play to Red for what he has done with his business. Now that he has a proper machine to clean with if he has any sense and I know that he does he will charge more because he has gone a step up from where he was. This alone should command a higher price for him. Again, fair play to you Red! Best, Dave.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2006, 07:13:07 pm »
by the way £400-700 a day  is £120,000-210,000 a year allowing for holidays)

more than heart surgeons, lawyers, prime ministers etc,

i bet their kicking themselves now!! all that time at university and they could have just gone out and bought themselves a carpet cleaning machine :D :D :D

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Lavinia

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2006, 07:16:45 pm »
SO HOW DO YOU GET THE HIGHER END CLIENT. iVE ALWAYS USED THE ROYAL MAIL TO DELIVER MY FLIERS AND DO EVERY JOB THE BEST I CAN TO BRING IN REFFURALS, BUT IM ALWAYS UP FOR NEW SUJESTIONS.

Damian

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2006, 07:17:57 pm »
by the way £400-700 a day  is £120,000-210,000 a year allowing for holidays)

more than heart surgeons, lawyers, prime ministers etc,

i bet their kicking themselves now!! all that time at university and they could have just gone out and bought themselves a carpet cleaning machine :D :D :D

Mike
Good point Mike! and i wonder how many cleaners end of year accounts state this and how many pay tax on that amount? ;)
Kids for the ex-missus. The fireblade is my baby!!

the red carpet

« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2006, 07:26:18 pm »
A heart surgeon or lawyer working for thereselves would surely earn those sort of figures, they may not get in from there employers but then again how many of us would hire someone and pay them much more than £100 a day?

craigp

« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2006, 07:38:48 pm »
im with Mike, yes 400-500 a day is poss, but you got have huge volume of work coming in, say im booked up for a week, i could condense a load of jobs into one day, one very hard day and earn these big sums, but then it would soon be followed by empty days cus i'll done it all.

or if you done a full 4 bed then straight on to another, then 3 peice and lounge, yes id have 5 - 600 but those big good jobs just dont come in that fast, ie. to do 3 a day.

carpetguy

« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2006, 07:44:47 pm »
I really think reality is taking a back seat here, just a couple of weeks ago, one of you was short of money, but full of ambition and suddenly earning £1200 to £1500 per week.

Another works 9  -  5,  door to door!

I know it's perfectly possible, to earn £1000 to £1500 per week, but only working the lower to middle end of the market and certainly not working alone.

Higher priced work is not available in volume and it's often been suggested that the C/D' s etc, who are taking £200 plus, per job, are probably only getting one job per day.

To those of you who are really earning more than £300 a day, well done and good for you.

robbie

Neil Grainger

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2006, 07:44:59 pm »
The point is red we should not be selling to US.

If you are aiming at us, it is the wrong market and you wont make that sort of money per day.

Cheers

Neil

craigp

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2006, 07:48:52 pm »
thats the thing, i been moving my prices up for some time (£50 a lounge at mo), but there is a limit,

i do only work for mere mortals not like Daves custys ;D

Liahona

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2006, 07:49:21 pm »
Mike, I dont know about heart surgeons but,,,,,,, my better half is an orthopaedic trauma nurse and nurses for a Dr xxxxxxx. This Dr charges £6,550 per hip re-placement and does 3 in a day. Granted he pays the anesthesist (i know i cant spell it) a £1,000 per op but otherwise doesnt have to many other debts. From what I gather he clears over 4,000 per op. Hey at a £1,000 3 times a day isnt too bad at all for the anaesthesist either. As you know I am a yank and as I hadnt lived in this country long enough I had to pay for an operation as the NHS wouldnt cover it, nor should they have had too.  This (3 in all) op cost me just under £15,000. So where you think we earn what they do or vice-versa I am not sure.  A good lawyer will charge £150 a letter and £40 per phone call. He or she also sits in court for close to £400 an hour. As for the Prime minister, dont make me laugh, 50 quid is too much. In closing please dont let me have to use your heart surgeon or lawyer. For indeed if they are earning less than a good carpet cleaner it is maybe they, who needs a job change. Best, Dave.

Liahona

« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2006, 07:55:39 pm »
Neil, well put mate. Thats why I dont clean for "us". Craig and others, the idea is you only do the one job a day, but you do it right and charge for it. So if you had your 3 jobs either a day or a week and got 500 for it you would be doing ok. Best, Dave.

craigp

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2006, 08:00:24 pm »
i not sure i could get enough 'money no object' customers, but i guess i am filtering out the price shoppers now im charging more

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2006, 08:18:55 pm »
On 1 of the US bb there was an owner operator that did over $30k in 1 month, doesn't say how and I can't find the thread again but $30,000 x 12months = $360,000 or about £200,000.

Shaun

carpetguy

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2006, 08:22:48 pm »
It's great to have a high opinion of yourself and your worth, but I could never in all honestly, presume the job of cleaning someones carpet or suite to be equal, of, or have a similar value to the work carried out by surgeons, or solicitors, no matter what we might think of them.

If I average 3 jobs per day, over 5 days and average £60 per job, I can handle that on my own and will be very pleased with the £900 average, per week, gross,  which I will earn.

This is about the same as I earned 10 years ago, but I was working twice as hard, then rather than finishing between 2 and 3 o'clock, nowadays.

robbie

just noticed the comment about US earnings and that's incredible, but there are loads of web sites with US operators charging much less than in the UK

Matt Read

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2006, 08:41:38 pm »
The problem with these types of thread is that people assume most are jealous of the "high earners"...my opinion is that £200 to £400 is the amount most established carpet cleaners should look to earn per day. I have worked in some expensive places and they weren't really enjoyable days work,people aren't normally that  friendly and they expect (as they should ) the absolute best results.

I can't see my business attracting enough big payers to pay for my family ,business costs, and work 2 days a week,no matter how much time i spent canvassing the interior designers in my area. Could you sustain that earning power 5 days a week as a one man operator Dave if you had to ?

Plus i like meeting a variety of people , and going to unusual places and above all i like to get out of the house most days !

Maybe in 10 years time when i'm fed up with cleaning carpets i'll think differently.

Matt

Liahona

« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2006, 09:33:38 pm »
Matt, in all honesty yes I could but chose not too. Your post mentions designers in your areas. I market to designers all over the country and also in mainland Europe too.  When I was in the states, then yes I was working 5 or 6 days a week. Along with being involved in a business that cleaned almost 100 area rugs a day. I think and know I shouldnt do but think that Paul King cleans to similar clientelle but works way harder than I do as I am told he works all week. Accordingly his earnings are compared to the amount of work he puts in. Same as me its just I dont work as much. Best, Dave.

carpetguy

« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2006, 09:48:06 pm »
Agree with Matt's comments, as in life, there will always be the 80%, who will simply get on with life and be happy to pay their way, have their holidays, etc and the 20% who are more ambitious, have higher aspirations, more drive etc.

Dave mentioned the high flyer surgeon earning big money, fortunately there are still the 80% of surgeons who are happy to earn considerably less, but still make a very good living and are available for the rest of us.

Same applies in any market

robbie

martin19842

« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2006, 10:03:56 pm »
hi there

this is a hot topic.

targets. I hate them,and always have done,and always will, but daily targets are a nightmare, cause if ajob falls out of bed, then you won't achieve your target. so I always work on a loger time frame, a month is good.

so target per month.

but do you actually consider what that target needs to be, costs equal xx, sales equal  y therefore profit ??

and anyway you could have turnover of hundreds of thousands, but if its not profitable, its worth nothing.

work SMART, not hard, but better still work smart and hard.

regards

martin

rich hand

« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2006, 10:27:13 pm »
There is something quite twisted about the cc industry. Luckily for certain cc's the general public simply doesnt understand it and accepts to pay us more than the highly skilled trades.

However, lets stop comparing ourselves to surgeons, lawers etc. thats just talking s**t.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2006, 10:37:30 pm »
Martin your business is different, carpet cleaners usually work on their own and have low overheads, where as you have teams of cleaners therefore you have to cost more accurately as not to fall flat on your face.

Setting targets and knowing your average job ticket and how many jobs you did in a month etc etc is a good way of budgeting for next year,being self employed means you don't really get paid until all of the bills have come out so long term saving for a rainy day is a must if you want that holiday next year.

Shaun

carpetguy

« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2006, 08:55:47 am »
Glad this hasn't ended up a slagging match , as a lot of good can come from this kind of discussion.

Although I was taught many years ago, that a business should charge what the market will support, I was also taught, that, unless you have a unique service, or product, the market will expect you to charge the, average, or 'going rate'

On the other hand, if you market yourself as Joe Soap, Carpet Cleaners, you are regarded in the public eye, as, just another Carpet Cleaner.

Unfortunately, there will be many really superb 'Craftsman Standard', operators who due to lack of charisma or strong personality, will never realise their potential, while some less capable but stronger personalities will expect more, ask for more and on occasions, get more, but they might not get the referrals or the repeat business and will spend more money and time in marketing.

That's life

robbie

Matt Read

« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2006, 04:21:05 pm »
 It is good that we can discuss this in a civil manner as robbie said. All trades will have top notch specialist's who charge the earth but its not the norm.

I don't think many carpet cleaners will be able to call europe and mainland england their customer base,which although dave is doing very well it doesn't really relate to your normal carpet cleaning business.

With the new ultra safe, idiot proof cleaning  products now available i do wonder what makes a specialist these days. Stain Removal is a specialist service,but even then the guys i look to as the most experienced in the trade always pre qualify to their customers first about the possible failure to remove.

It must boil down to how you sell at the end of the day, if you can convince people you have a service thats worth paying a lot of money for all well and good,one thing i have learned about the british public though is they hate to feel overcharged !
Matt

The Great One

« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2006, 06:19:17 pm »
Hi

If you're banking these massive amounts of cash would you be willing to prove it with a copy of your end of year figures or bank statements (sanitized)?

Regards

Martin 8)

lee_gundry

« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2006, 07:37:53 pm »
martin

these are not massive amounts of cash,its just the norm for established tm users.

i know of a few carpet cleaners who earn over 100k per year applying stain protector alone. (through furniture /carpet retaile shops) & i only do approx 15kper year on protector which is far less than the guys who market themselves.

when i first started in 93/94 in the first 6 months of trading i made a gross of £860.00 yes £860.00 in 6 months.then each year it began to rise.

you have to sell yourself dont just place a add in the yp and sit there waiting for the phone to ring.

i have been marketing the tile & groute cleaning to my customers over the last 3 yrs & now it proves to be a good income approx £1200.00 per month add this to the income of carpet /upholstery cleaning & its boosts the monthly income.

if you look past over the posts in the carpet cleaning forums you never really see a tm user looking for advice on leaflet drops,which places are the best to advertise.

this is because he has no  need to.

i am quite shocked that earning 4/7 hundred pounds per day is such a vast & unreal amount of earnings.

i speak to  carpet cleaners in birmingham & surry who earn vasts amounts of money far more than 100k per year.

1 big office job (7 floors) alone earned him 15k took 4 days.

ps
who much do you think a established tm user earns on average per week?

cumbria

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2006, 07:41:11 pm »
Motivation is the key word.

TM owners just can handle more work as it's quicker to use and less taxing on the body.

Shaun

lee_gundry

« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2006, 07:42:09 pm »

also  do you think shaune ashmore who has a few houses ,nice car,his own dry cleaners earns  £200 per day.
cumbria

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2006, 07:49:47 pm »
£3.00 dinner money given to me by the boss

Shaun

gmccleaning

« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2006, 08:05:27 pm »
£3 lucky u ,have to make my own sannys

George

Liahona

« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2006, 08:07:59 pm »
At this point it is easier to just agree ( I do anyway) with Shaun and Lee as opposed to trying to write something. Other than this.... Martin, one day and I am sure it will not  be in the near future you will realise that the monies being talked about on here and I mean the higher earnings are relatively easy to obtain. However it is usually attained by those using a truckmount. As long as "cleaners", yourself included are happy using other types of machine as their choice to clean with then they and you must accept and be happy with earning what it is they and you earn. Best, Dave. P.S.If cleaners want to earn more they have to offer the customer the best poss clean that "this" industry can offer. If this is not on offer then perhaps changing to make it so will be a step in the right direction.

rich hand

« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2006, 08:18:32 pm »
I just cant get over the fact that the general public miss the fact that cc is so simple and then pay big for it. Carpet cleaning is EASY and straight forward, granted that upholstery is a little more of a b*ll ache.

I often employ the building trades for renovating houses, something else I do. Was speaking with a joiner today who was stating his gear came to near £10,000, TM £? On site he can earn 600/week and private work can pay upto around twice this. This seems to be approx the same for most trades. Most building trades involve a greater degree of skill and require far more edjucation than carpet cleaning. A day as a cc is play school compared to building work.

Im comparing with building trades since they are the most wide spread example of 'a guy going into someones house to do a job'.

We are cleaners with a fairly expensive piece of kit, thats it. We are lucky to get away with it arent we? That is, lucky the public are so naive that we can keep the wool pulled over their eyes, isnt it?

I do realise everyone would become greedy if it was this easy, i would accept 500/job if the cust would hand it over so myself included.

I am just trying to put carpet cleaning into context with the rest of society.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2006, 08:19:13 pm »
£3.00 a year

Shaun

Mike Jones

« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2006, 09:26:15 pm »
These posts contains pure bullpoop. I have been involved in the cleaning industry for 20 years. Whilst some CCs may on ocasion earn £500 plus per day this will be an exception. An acurate assesment of a business is profit not daily takings.

The more you flag potential income, the more you will enthuse others to take it up and the harder you will strugle to earn what you used to earn.

LOOK WHATS HAPPEND TO PLUMBERS.

Dave_Lee

« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2006, 09:33:48 pm »
Of course Carpet Cleaning is easy, it really makes you wonder why all those customers that have previously tried and failed to clean their own carpets, really bother to call in a professional. I mean have they called the Pro in because, they just wanted to splash some cash his way, even though they could so easilly have done the job themselves, and got the same fantastic results.
Yeah, its easy, easy to, Over wet, shrink, run colour, cause browning, ripple, pill, delaminate, mildew, furniture stain, etc.
Or is that after their diy experience they realised that "It's not that easy after all".
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

mark_roberts

« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2006, 09:49:22 pm »
Ive been cleaning for almost 7 years.  I think with continous education and experience it becomes easier in that its automatic but I think your wrong to say carpet cleaning is easy to master and we are hoodwinking the public.

When I first started my plan was to make £250 a week after expences and tax as thats what i was earning then.  Since then I have made more of an effort to implement a business plan.  Ive continually looked for ways to become more productive and more effective at selling.  Selling is the secret.  Since March 06 Ive had to go VAT reg and on track to increase sales 20%  this year on my own.  I tell this not to brag but to tell you it can be done but you need to know how but also you need to have an open mind to change.  If you think people wont pay more than £50 for a suite cleaning then they wont because you havent asked them.

Im still learning and may take Lee Gundry up on his offer of a day out just to see his procedures of how to earn more.  Also Im interested in learning off Dave how he gets his work.  In other words business is a process but its down to you.

Hope this helps the 40% who aim for £200 a day.

Mark

jasonl

« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2006, 09:49:53 pm »
No bull at all..... I use bonnet method, and old kleenrite extractor, and do £500 a day , 2 days a week, because I CHOOSE TO DO OTHER STUFF REST OF WEEK. I drive a £500 van, looks smart though, also an E class merc and a Boxster depending on mood , all paid for, come and see it check my diary, call for a quote, cc is easy, you just need to be able to explain simple concepts,be of smart appearance,have customer care skills, and be quite good at cleaning, (not even brillant .)
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Neil Grainger

« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2006, 09:50:02 pm »
Its not just about Carpet Cleaning though. Cleaning a standard polypro carpet is easy but what about Carpets with potential colour run or dies that run into each other when cleaned. Re-tufting carpets and all the others things that we need to no about. The average Joe bloggs can really do all that cant they.

If all you do is get the wand out and glide it over the carpet than it is easy but if you do all the other things you are alot more than just a cleaner.

You are a Salesman, Office Manager, Accounts Payable, Marketing Manager all this adds up. I know if I left the business that I have built up I could get a very good job in Business because of all the experience that I have picked up and thats just in 2 Years.

You are more than just a cleaner. I know I am and thats why I deserve a lot more than £30 an hour.

john rees

« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2006, 09:55:59 pm »
and not forgetting it's really hard physical work too! and there's an awful lot of people out there who will always be more than happy to pay a professional who will produce a far better result in a far quicker time and with no need for them to even break into a sweat! ;D
                      all the best
                                        John
john

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2006, 10:42:34 pm »
how many times have I heard "there's know wonder your thin".

It can be a physical job that's why as we get older we will slow down and not have the profit of previous years that's why I urge you to make your money now!

Shaun

Damian

« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2006, 10:55:30 pm »
how many times have I heard "there's know wonder your thin".

It can be a physical job that's why as we get older we will slow down and not have the profit of previous years that's why I urge you to make your money now!

Shaun
Haha Shaun too right mate! The truth be out. Last time i saw you(under a year ago you still looked a fit guy ;D) This work keeps ya as fit as a fiddle. People pay a fortune at gyms when we get it FREE GRATIS :o Maybe slow down-i dunno i keep thinkin of the lovely cash waiting in the waste tank!! ;D Metaphorically speaking ;)

rich hand

« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2006, 11:10:21 pm »
Its not just about Carpet Cleaning though. Cleaning a standard polypro carpet is easy but what about Carpets with potential colour run or dies that run into each other when cleaned. Re-tufting carpets and all the others things that we need to no about. The average Joe bloggs can really do all that cant they.

If all you do is get the wand out and glide it over the carpet than it is easy but if you do all the other things you are alot more than just a cleaner.

You are a Salesman, Office Manager, Accounts Payable, Marketing Manager all this adds up. I know if I left the business that I have built up I could get a very good job in Business because of all the experience that I have picked up and thats just in 2 Years.

You are more than just a cleaner. I know I am and thats why I deserve a lot more than £30 an hour.

Who isnt more than just their trade?

rich hand

« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2006, 11:11:40 pm »
and not forgetting it's really hard physical work too! and there's an awful lot of people out there who will always be more than happy to pay a professional who will produce a far better result in a far quicker time and with no need for them to even break into a sweat! ;D
                      all the best
                                        John

Really hard ;D

Damian

« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2006, 11:22:30 pm »
Must admit Rich when im dragging my twelve stone bulk up all them steps into van and i cast a glance at the driver of the municipal-multi-occupancy council type thing that does 20 mph with main beam on-i think-ive gotta license for that and 6 quid an hour-i could be that laid back-AND THAT HUGE-never! ;D No i dont want them dreams, please mam make the bad dreams go away ;D

carpetguy

« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2006, 07:57:47 am »
So now it's hard work.!!!!!Compared to what ?

Bricklaying / Warehouse worker / Leatherworks Operative / Landscaper just a few jobs that are physically more demanding than c/c and pay around £10 per hour, more for the self employed obviously, but don't kid yourselves, that this is hard work.

You might work fairly hard, in short bursts, but on a day to day basis, how many clock on for an eight hour shift and have to perform throughout that shift.

I think some of you are trying to justify your charges, because you know they are excessive.

Some will be giving a lot more of themselves than others and deserve to get a higher return, but the majority of carpet and upholstery cleaning, is just that, cleaning!!!

Additional services will give additional earnings, which is fine, but 9 times out of 10 the job is cleaning and it's not particularly hard, neither do you need to attend College or Uni' for years to become qualified.

robbie

rich hand

« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2006, 09:03:18 pm »
Ok so ive just given myself a raise  :)