Neil Grainger

Re: Gary.."In the real world"
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2006, 10:56:05 pm »
Yes john because the dont spend the money, thats why i want to know how some people get a £1.00 a sq ft.

Neil

John Rimmer Marshall & Rimmer Ltd

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2006, 10:58:08 pm »
I thought this forum was about helping each other out and not telling the
inland revenue that we should all be paying the top end of tax. Just think
of what you are sayeing and understand that it just might looked at by others

John_Flynn

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2006, 10:59:11 pm »
That's right Neil, for the answer to your question you will have to speak with Andrew (Fluffy) Walker from Bradford.
I get better looking each day!!

Rousey

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2006, 11:00:04 pm »
Dave, it is good to belong to an organisation. I belong to the Confederation of cleaning Professionals, but I must say, I have not had one customer ask me about it, but then again they can see the badge on all my marketing.

Dave you can definately earn more. You said you are stepping up in the market, well you've earned it, show your experience and put up your prices.

Last week we did a 4 bed detached (empty let) and got £412,  5hrs work, we are doing a 3 bed let for the same couple, £300, they have another 3 properties, I hope they leave soon!!!

My average per house/job is £325. I do this part time as I run another business as well.

Mark

Rousey

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2006, 11:11:03 pm »
John and Neil, I see your point, but some of the guys have paid a considerable sum of money to go on marketing courses to gain the knowledge that shows you how to charge £1.00 per sq ft!!!

Mark

John_Flynn

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2006, 11:16:47 pm »
Rousey YES some guys HAVE paid out money for marketing couses and NOW they are reaping the BENEFITS.

CASE CLOSED !!!
I get better looking each day!!

Rousey

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2006, 11:25:31 pm »
 I agree.

Spot On cleaning

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2006, 11:35:06 pm »
Mark, do you work on your own? I wondered whether you have to pay wages. I work alone so charge a bit less cos it's only me.

Dave

Neil Grainger

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2006, 11:37:11 pm »
I'm on fast track too but the wives in Surrey still want to spend the money on shoes and plastic surgery and for me to get the same rates as a consultant around here is not going to happen. These people are tight thats why they are rich.

The rich are different in the south east, harder to sell to.

therapist

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2006, 11:50:32 pm »
As mentioned already...........people with money tend to hang on to it. And this applies anywhere.

r m

Neil Grainger

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2006, 11:54:31 pm »
So how do they get £1 a sq ft. I would not pay it but then i'm not looking for people like me to clean for

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2006, 12:03:49 am »
I do not kow what happened but we do not delibratley start arguments with one another.

Some people charge a price where they will get more jobs and probably cut out Vac, Pre Spray, Get customer to move more funiture.

Others charge a higher price  Precontion customer Carry out Audit, Give Lap Top presentation. Give free stain remover Free Magi matt aply Carpet protection Turbo dry.
Have Warning Messages Spend 8k on Yellow Pages
Get Recomendations send Thank you letters, News Letters Go ack six months latter and clean most of the carpet agaon send more letters more news letters. Make 6 visits at no charge to remove stain etc etc

So we all have our method of working.

Cleaning Co has a BMW in his Drive Fastrackers have Porches others just keep going.

I doubt if Every Fastracker Proclean Alergy Stop cleaners makes it big because its all about inner drive.

AllI am saying each to his own

Liahona

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2006, 12:29:55 am »
Ian, good comment, I would just like to add though, I understand what it is you are suggesting and indeed know of some cleaners that clean that way and of course it is not a problem to do so. However my charges are for just plane old cleaning of the carpets and of course protection on ALL jobs. When I go back again in 6 months time I charge the same amount as I did before minus the protection, not forgetting in 6 months time again I would re-apply. Please note I said plane old cleaning but I know I clean differently than most people do. I use no gimmicks of any sort and indeed charge for all the services I provide. In some cases obviously not all I supply the customer with a spotting machine, to the tune of 400 pounds. I feel I supply a better service to them with the machine as opposed to a spotter which after all wouldnt compare, they of course pay for the machine......1 pound a sq ft to clean and maybe 75p to protect for the first clean...........1 pound a ft for the next clean 6 months later and 6 months after that I am back to the first charge......having said that I generally wouldnt charge the same as by now they are repeat customers so I would charge the same amount but would do more services........ I ask to those reading this, how many items or carpeting do you leave behind not cleaned??????? It is much easier to clean more in a house you are already in than to find another customer. Again I only do one job a day so I may as well do as much as I can in the one house.......Last thing for now on prices, there are those who think a pound a foot is too high a price. How many of you ask for a pound a ft? If you ask for 60 or 70p a ft I am sure you get it. So why not ask for a pound? I do, best, Dave.

Neil Grainger

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2006, 12:54:39 am »
Ian/Dave

thanks for your comments. I do most of the things you have talked about, its jsut that i dont feel confident enough to try the pricing.

Think I will try on some of the quotes I have booked in this week and see what happens

cheers

neil

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2006, 01:02:44 am »
Neil,

As we both apear to be awake.

You need to find the expensive carpets and then try.

That just my opinion

cleaning co

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2006, 03:37:16 am »
lol , moron yer well ive been called worse so hey what the hell, just rember if we are that unlucky we might meet one day  ;)

Neil Grainger

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2006, 07:26:58 am »
Come on Guys lets get back to good forum debate, these personnel attacks whether there opion is right or wrong is not what I use this forum for.

The other forum has lots of people that do this and thats why i am on here.

Gary has his opinion and others have theirs. I personnally am in business to make money so if I can find away to make that little bit more out of my customers then so be it.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2006, 08:32:33 am »
Neil,

Well said.

It is not necessary to insult each other when making a point , it just means the topic will be deleted and nobody wins.

It is a fine line moderating to keep things lively but also constuctive , so lets stick to the discussion.

One of the main things I remember from my Tack International sales training was to ask for the sale , it's surprising how many don't.This applies to higher prices , if you don't ask for them you will not get them.

However , on the other hand if you like keeping busy, you may prefer to do more lower priced jobs ending up with the same money.

It really is about where you want to position yourself in the market , afterall as we are different so are our customers!

Since coming on the forums i have increased my prices by 25-40% and I've earnt more money with less effort.

My personal view is that Gary is too cheap and Dave is too expensive but it is just a view.

Keep lively,keep friendly,

Cheers

Doug

Spot On cleaning

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2006, 08:48:56 am »
Liahoma,

Just out of curiosity, when you say you leave the customer a spotting machne, can you explain to me how this works, and how much the customer has to spend to get one?

Dave

Liahona

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2006, 09:00:57 am »
a spotting machine is like a very small portable.....it is a 2 and a 1/2 gallon machine with a heater and comes with 15 ft of hose with an upholstery tool. It costs just under 400 pounds but I charge the 400.... To Gary I have no problems meeting you, maybe I can help you get more for your jobs after all isnt what this is all about, helping each other to be more profitable, cheers Doug for your comments, best, Dave. PS Also to Gary, wouldnt you prefer to be called a pound a foot cleaner? really wouldnt you?