john martin

Re: Vac Motor
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2014, 07:17:00 pm »
lol - naughty!!

Just another update on that cheap motor - i ran the scorpion with one 2 inch vac hose on it today out in the open and under no load - ie i wasnt cleaning anything, it was just to let the new motor and the others to run to see how long before shut off

12 minutes and the new motor shut down whilst the others were singing away - steer clear of them, no good     

Just cause the thermal fuse does not like the temp inside your machine dosnt mean they are no good ...      take the top cover off the old vacs ... chances are they dont even have a fuse .

This is the fuse in your Italian Ametek  ...   inside the glass holder two bits of metal expand at a certain temp and break the circuit ... when the metal cools the circuit is good again.
To bypass ...   see the red wire passes through the fuse before it connects to the post ...  just cut the red wire before it enters the fuse and attach it directly to the post ...  no more thermal cutoff .

[/quote]

CleanerCarpets

« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2014, 08:30:07 pm »
and then no warranty and a motor running hotter than the manufacturer wants - equals a dead motor altogether very soon

fact is if a Lamb Ametek motor can run all day long and last years, another motor sold as the same spec and a direct replacement to run in the same machine should do the same, otherwise its not the same spec and a direct replacement!!

john martin

« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2014, 08:35:36 pm »
and then no warranty and a motor running hotter than the manufacturer wants - equals a dead motor altogether very soon

fact is if a Lamb Ametek motor can run all day long and last years, another motor sold as the same spec and a direct replacement to run in the same machine should do the same, otherwise its not the same spec and a direct replacement!!

It will run at same temperature as the other motors if they are all in the same machine .. 
If you still have the old dead vac  ...   take off the plastic cover an see if has a switch .

Do you really think a company like Ametek are making perfect vac in one plant ...  while in another plant they are making vacs to fail .

CleanerCarpets

« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2014, 09:08:25 pm »
Well who knows if its Ametek - it has zero markings

john martin

« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2014, 09:31:28 pm »
Well who knows if its Ametek - it has zero markings

look for a small black stamp  the side of the motor section ... 

CleanerCarpets

« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2014, 07:38:43 pm »
just to update again, i bought a Genuine Lamb Ametek motor and fitted it last weekend - its ran all week with no problems and no cutting out

the seller has now added to his advert a temperature working zone for those cheap motors - beware as that will probably mean you wont get a refund if they cut out on you like i did