Andrew Briscoe

Re: For Sale Sections
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 09:00:44 pm »
I was going to advertise my 2 year old 400psi Ninja including hoses, like new condition at a very reasonable price, first to see will buy, but I don't think I'll bother now.

Its a good job you didnt, you mised your phone number out !!

Paul Moss

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 09:01:23 pm »
 ;D

AshWhite

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 09:05:34 pm »
I was going to advertise my 2 year old 400psi Ninja including hoses, like new condition at a very reasonable price, first to see will buy, but I don't think I'll bother now.

Let's say, hypthetically that this was the case - what would you ask for it?
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 09:06:22 pm »
It'd only get deleted and then a deleted account, is it worth it?

I have bought and sold loads on here and its usually the first section I go to but if the forum needs money to run then an income has to be made.

Shaun

Paul Moss

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 09:09:42 pm »

And what would  your phone number be ;D

wynne jones

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2012, 09:10:16 pm »

It's not really for sale.  ;D

Forums do seem to be a good business model don't they. I think it's only recently though someone has started thinking seriously about their pension plan. But you don't want to kill the golden goose, it's a fine line to tread
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

wynne jones

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2012, 09:14:03 pm »

And what would  your phone number be ;D

I'm X directory.  ;D

Andrew Briscoe

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2012, 09:15:09 pm »
What sort of price are they thinking Shaun ( i think i'm half Yorkshire)  ;)

dan paton

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2012, 09:20:29 pm »
disgusted at the pack mentality against tony at the start of this .. but he is right.. i see the braggers on here every day who claim to charge this and that and they got the best equipment ever but when it comes to selling anything for say £400 the same people are crying because they cot to pay a fee .. i smell something out a cow's bum with a lot of folks on here

Mike Halliday

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2012, 09:24:14 pm »
personally i don't think it will work, purely because of  wynnes example.... its just too easy to abuse.

if the admin want to make money offer to make a subscription membership that allows personel links to be' follow' instead of 'no follow'

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2012, 09:29:42 pm »
I don't know how much you could contact admin.

Shau

Andrew Briscoe

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2012, 09:31:53 pm »
I agree it will be difficult to manage, maybe folk peed off cause its always been free,
if they origonally knew it would end up with 23.5k members, they could of charged a yearly subscription and ran the forum from a beach in the Bahamas.

I have met folk when on courses who have never posted on here, yet look into the forsale section and buy off it, and never give any info back to the forum.

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2012, 09:33:15 pm »
It'd only get deleted and then a deleted account, is it worth it?

So if you put a link to an outside website saying you are sellinging x,y,z (fleabay for example) would that be deleted?

Jim_77

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2012, 10:46:46 pm »
Die on its arse or not you would be advertising to an audience who would/should be interested in what you are selling and have some knowledge of the industry........or you could put it on ebay have some hopefuls bid on it, sale falls through, do it all again...... and in the end pay your ebay fees.

It makes me laugh that some people will throw their weight around and make other forum members look small and cheap for looking for a cheap vac/ pump/ anything to save a few bob but when someone mentions charges to sell a bit of kit they start to throw their toys around and are full of negativity!!!!!!!!

I doubt the forum runs for free by itself Jim, as i am sure you dont run your business that way.

Tony

Tony, not sure if you're aware but this isn't the only cleaning forum!!  I certainly don't use all of them out there but have 7 in my favourites!  No other forums charge their users to advertise their own second hand kit for sale, and I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future.

Charging for posts in the for sale section is stupid and ill-thought out.  It just won't attract any significant business because people can get the same thing for free elsewhere (of course there will be some paid-for posts, by people who haven't got a clue and don't know any better.  Really ethical that, bordering on a scam if you ask me.)

Unless this is an early April fools joke?  ;)

Let's keep dishing out the business lessons then.... :)

Of course this forum doesn't run for free, but it doesn't exactly cost an arm and a leg to register a domain name and pay for server space.  I'm not well up on hosting charges etc, maybe someone with some better knowledge on that could fill in the blanks, but this forum would need X amount of disk space and Y amount of bandwidth.... even if it cost £100 a month that's diddly squat.

You know those adverts you see at the top and bottom?  Uhmmmmm well they probably cover the server costs plus a hefty amount more.... so where is the money going to from the good honest users who have to pay just for selling a wand for £50 or something?  It's a scandal!

If the owner of this forum had the slightest bit of sense he'd integrate it more into his business and write off the cost against the increased revenue gained... now where have I seen that business model before???? ;D ;)

Sorry for sitting on the fence earlier Colin, hopefully you can see which side I'm on now? :D

wynne jones

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2012, 10:52:34 pm »

Maybe we ought to get paid for the content we produce and the moderators should be paid for spending time managing it.  ;)

Jim_77

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2012, 10:53:43 pm »
Like your thinking there Wynne.  From the length of some of my posts I'd be the highest earner on here by a mile ;D ;D

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2012, 10:54:18 pm »
Wynne I like it  ;D

Shaun

AshWhite

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2012, 10:59:23 pm »
Like your thinking there Wynne.  From the length of some of my posts I'd be the highest earner on here by a mile ;D ;D

Thought that was the case anyway, Jim?

:P
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2012, 11:00:25 pm »
If you use Ebay you pay a listing fee  and a sales fee.

For years people have been able to plug their ebay auction on here and end up getting a much higher price.

Looks like those days have gone.

Like Mike says I can see problems glad Shaun's  got my job ;D ;D

Jim_77

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2012, 11:00:28 pm »
I'm poorer than Shaun!!!